Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2007 7:57:30 PM EDT
Ok, I need some help... My boyfriend borrowed my camera for a gun shoot last Saturday and after reveiwing the pictures we have some questions. He took some pictures while standing under the shade of a tree, aiming out into the sunshine. The pictures came out dark. Any advice or reasoning as to why this happened and how do we fix it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#1]
My initial reply would be: Take an incident meter reading off your subject and set your aperature and shutter speed accordingly.

I have a funny feeling that's not going to help you.

How about some details of the scene and your equipment?

Colonel Hurtz
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Scene was on a shooting range.. men with machine guns.... set up was a Canon 30D with auto flash with the 28-135 lens.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 4:46:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The pictures came out dark. Any advice or reasoning as to why this happened and how do we fix it?

Simple. I'll take a gamble and assume the camera was in P (program) mode or the little-green-box mode. It made decisions for you and didn't do a good job. Since you were shooting (the camera) outdoors I'll assume there was bright sunlight. The camera tries to make everything 18% gray (I won't get into that). Due to the amount of light coming into the lens, the camera decided to increase the shutter speed to prevent the images from being overexposed. It worked. Unfortunately they turned out underexposed.

The fix:
A) Learn to shoot in manual mode where you make the decisions. Learn how the shutter and aperture settings work together to control the exposure. Use the in-camera meter to read the scene and adjust your settings accordingly. Spot meter if you can. In a situation like that you don't want to use evaluative/matrix metering.

B) At a minimum use shutter or aperture priority so you're at least making half the decision.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:03:56 AM EDT
[#4]
To fix after the fact, try the Shadows & Highlights filter in Photoshop. It has saved a few of my shots before.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:31:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Another fix-it tip (assuming you have PS):

1) Add a curves layer adjustment (don't change anything, just add it)
2) Change the blend mode to screen
3) Adjust the opacity (33% is roughly a 1-stop adjustment)

If you need to darken an image, replace 'screen' with 'multiply' in step 2.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 7:48:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Use spot metering mode.  The bright backgrounds were giving the incorrect exposure setting when using evaluative metering.

Set the camera to spot metering, and either lock the exposure off the shaded grass or someones shaded face, and shoot away, or else set the exposure carefully with each shot by making sure the meter is pointed at the face before the 1/2 button press and reframing...

Sorry, this stuff seems so simple until you start to type it out.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Idiot isn't the "I" word that I would have used...He's really incredible!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top