Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 11:32:33 AM EDT
(this pic is updated to a more current revision)
Took this series the other night (link goes to 1200x210 size version).   The full-size one is 7500x1300, and about 1.2mb jpg.  I used Hugin and PTStitcher to get it done.  8 shots, with about 40% overlap.  I ended up having nearly 200 stitch points.  Took about 4 hours.  

Example

I've been trying for a week to get a series of shots I was happy with and consitent enough lighting to work with.  I shot off a flat post on top of the my office's parking garage, manually moving over using the focus squares to realign on various points.  I have a tripod, but it's been slightly windy lately and  for these it made blurred shots, so the post was a field-expedient base to use.  I used a 200mm lens, M, F10, 1s., iso 200, -1/3 ev. I think it would be worth reshooting with a 300mm F4 perhaps one night to get a bit more detail in the buildings--the 200 is good but not quite close enough.  I ended up waiting for dusk before starting, and then had to get all 8 shots in under a minute--and still had to adjust the colors a bit to make them all match, though you can see the slight darkening left to right.  

One of my coworkers asked if I'd go shoot this from a different vantage point so I could get the UT Tower.  I might one night if I get the chance, but that'll be a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#1]
That turned out pretty nice.

You might want to try waiting until it's completely dark and taking longer exposures. There might be enough ambient light to still see the building outlines.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That turned out pretty nice.

You might want to try waiting until it's completely dark and taking longer exposures. There might be enough ambient light to still see the building outlines.

The initial post's link is the newest version of the stitch.

I can tweak the source pics more to get a darker background, which I haven't done yet.  I got the stitching fixed up better and a nicer version done, but at this res you can't tell.

I used Hugin to do the stitching and PTStitcher for the initial rendering--but nona (part of hugin) turned out to be a better rendering engine.  

Several revisions until i got pics I liked and stitching that was worthwhile (some of these were real test shots, no color correction at all):

sample (ugh)
sample (yuk)
sample (better)

IM me if you want to see the big one.  It's about 12mp and 2mb in size.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:14:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Photoshop can do the same. Just turn down opiacy on one of the layers and line it up with the other layer then turn it back up again...repeat.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey, thats my home, Austin sky line!!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool. I did one at Bulletfest V. arfcom.jetlag.us/theline.jpg

When'd we get a Photo forum?

Quoted:
Photoshop can do the same. Just turn down opiacy on one of the layers and line it up with the other layer then turn it back up again...repeat.

This program does a lot more than line up images. In fact, that's the part you do on your own (or with another program like hugin).
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Took a bunch of photos with a wide angle lens in Death Valley.
I downloaded this and will give it a try.

Uh, TPIWWOP?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top