Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 12:53:27 PM EDT
My wife is currenttly in a  photography class and I was planning on getting her a macro lens when she finishes the class. She has been wanting one for a while. She has a Minolta Maxxum 5 and already has a standard lens along with a zoom lens. Both of them combined cover about the 25mm to 300m.  Looking at some macro lenses, some have a minimal focusing distance up to 1.5 feet. This seems kind of far to me. Keep in mind Im a complete idiot about lenses. Do you simply stay back a foot or two and then zoom in while keeping "macro" quality. She is wanting to keep all her lenses Minolta lenses. My max is $600-$700, $800 if its an exceptional deal. Is this a good lens,
www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=300784&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
What are your recommondations, and what features should I be looking for? Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:05:21 PM EDT
[#1]
What does she intend to take photos of?  A 50mm focal length lens is going to require you to be very close to the subject, most of the time a 100mm or similar is more useful as a macro lens.  Both of those look to be true macro lenses, what you see as "macro" setting on many inexpensive zoom lenses is a poor substitute.  A real macro lens lets you get very close (inches or less).

Also, if she doesn't have a decent tripod, she will probably need one if she wants to do much macro work.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Ebay and search Minolta macro lenses. A dedicated macro lens does a much better job than zoom lenses that are macro compatible.
I use a 100mm macro lens with a macro flash for my Canon 35mm camera.
The 1.5 foot means you need to be at least that distance for the object to be focused.
Without a special flash a tripod is a must and if she gets really serious a bellows is fun to use.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Sigma makes a 150mm Macro that is very nice, not sure if they make them for Minolta though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:20:59 AM EDT
[#4]
You're going to have a hard time getting any new Minolta glass anymore after they said they were closing. Your best chance would to be looking at Sigma, Tamron or Tokina.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:27:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Mostly she will probably be taking pictures of flowers, leaves, nature type stuff. She already has a pretty good tripod, its just not good for getting right on top of things like Im guessing you would use a macro lens. Reading through one of her books, I get the idea of what a 50mm lens means. Will a 50mm lens be less efective at, say 2 feet, than a 150mm lens? If this gets too complicated for me, I may just get her a gift certifacate for a macro lens and macro flash. Reading through macro flash specs and descriptions, Ive already decided thats something I cant buy for her, she has to chose her own on that. Thanks for the help guys, it is appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#6]
If she can get an off-camera flash, that might work well.  I just bought the Sigma EM140 ring flash, and it works quite well.   But having an adjustable bracket to mount a flash on would also probably work well, and save $100, which you could put towards a lens...but just let her choose on that one...

A 100mm or even 150mm macro would be a better choice than a 50mm in your budget, and the working distance is generally a help, not a hindrance.  I have extension tubes now instead of a dedicated macro, and believe me...taking pictures of bees from 4" away vs. 20" would be a handy differential in my book
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I just found this thread and I need to find a good macro lens or marco solution as well...  I am using a Canon Digital Rebel EOS and I have been dealing with the factory lens but it sure doesn't allow me to get real detailed photos of closeup stuff...

I am curious if those that do product phototography can share some of your tips?

I assume what I need to do is create a work space with lots of indirect light plus get the camera mounted on some type of tripod or stand with the right lense...  I just have not taken the time to figure it all out...

I also need a portable system as what I am trying to photograph is often stuff that is not mine... photos at AK build parties, bayonet photos, just all kinds of stuff but not always at home....

I am curious if a manual focus Sigma lense might actually be preferable to an auto focus lense for this purpose as obviously with macro work I know I use the auto focus very little...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am curious if a manual focus Sigma lense might actually be preferable to an auto focus lense for this purpose as obviously with macro work I know I use the auto focus very little...

Any decent macro lens will get you better close-up shots.  Currently I use extension tubes to get the close up shots of stuff.  Another option is close-up filters (250d/500d).  The other thing you'll want is a good flash....or two...

As for the product stuff, look into making a softbox.  If you're in a constrained space or need to travel a good flash and a diffuser for it, plus a piece of backing material to place stuff on.  In sunlight, a shade wouldn't hurt, either.  

A tripod is a big help, though with enough light and a steady hand (think of rifle shooting) you can do hand-held macro.  For example.  In general you'll be using manual focus for something that close in any case, but you can always try letting auto-focus work.  

Extension tubes can be used with most any lens and run about $150 (get kenko or promaster--there's no glass so don't spend extra for them).  Dunno about close-up filters.  

If you're looking to go for a low-cost lens, the Sigma 50mm can do life-size and is about the same price as the Canon (which only does 1:2, 50%).   The 90-105mm macros start to get really good (tamron, Canon, Sigma).  Serious close up folks can go for the 150/180mm lenses or  Mp-E 65 and get some hefty-cool bug shots.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:45:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any decent macro lens will get you better close-up shots.  Currently I use extension tubes to get the close up shots of stuff.  Another option is close-up filters (250d/500d).  The other thing you'll want is a good flash....or two...

As for the product stuff, look into making a softbox.  If you're in a constrained space or need to travel a good flash and a diffuser for it, plus a piece of backing material to place stuff on.  In sunlight, a shade wouldn't hurt, either.  

A tripod is a big help, though with enough light and a steady hand (think of rifle shooting) you can do hand-held macro.  For example.  In general you'll be using manual focus for something that close in any case, but you can always try letting auto-focus work.  

Extension tubes can be used with most any lens and run about $150 (get kenko or promaster--there's no glass so don't spend extra for them).  Dunno about close-up filters.  

If you're looking to go for a low-cost lens, the Sigma 50mm can do life-size and is about the same price as the Canon (which only does 1:2, 50%).   The 90-105mm macros start to get really good (tamron, Canon, Sigma).  Serious close up folks can go for the 150/180mm lenses or  Mp-E 65 and get some hefty-cool bug shots.  

Thanks!  I need to go shopping but this gives me a decent start...  I didn't post specific examples of what I need but you can see soe of the photos I have on www.m9bayonet.com as an example.  I have lots of small projects that my curent lens setups just don't do well unless the light is just right and even then I seem to take a dozen pictures to get one or two good ones...

I guess that is what is so great with a digital camera and a couple 1GB memory card...  I can take a couple thousand pictures to get a hundred really good pics when I get back home

I need to look into making a good "SOFT BOX" as well...  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#10]
The Sigma 105 macro is a great lens and is priced very reasonably.  I end up using often for everyday shots.
Would highly reccomend it.  Take the money that you have left over and invest in a ring (macro) flash
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top