Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2018 10:34:40 AM EDT
Considering a photography workshop in 2019, but weighing the benefits. I'm pretty frugal by nature, and it seems that $1,000+ for someone to show me a few photo sites is wasteful. I'm a planner by nature and thoroughly research anywhere I'm going before hand.

Just wondered if anyone had been on a dedicated workshop and if they felt they took away more than just going places on your own.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A lot of those workshops are aimed at new-ish photographers, it's half "look at these cool places" and half "here, lemme show you how to get the most outta your camera" so if you don't need the help, you could go to the same places yourself.
View Quote
Thanks, I'm quite confident in my photography skills, and while it would help to have pre scouted locations, Im certain I can do it solo
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I think they can vary greatly.   I guess it just depends on what is included in the event.  I mean, if it's a three day workshop, and includes room and board, then $1000 doesn't sound bad at all.  On the other hand, if it's a half day event, and all you are going to do is stand around the local park and snap a few pictures, then it sounds like the guy is just out to make some money without having to work for it.

About 10 years ago, I went to a couple of local "studio photography" workshops.  They two organizers planned it out in great detail.  They had arranged for 3 models to be there, and had 3 or 4  different ideas for shoot scenes, including various props.  We used their strobes/pocket wizards, and they were very helpful about explaining the lighting setup for each scene.  They even had proper model releases for us to use.  I believe there were about 10 of us in the class, and they only charged us something like $75 for this whole day class.  The money was really just to pay for the models, and the two guys putting it on were basically working for free.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Considering a photography workshop in 2019, but weighing the benefits. I'm pretty frugal by nature, and it seems that $1,000+ for someone to show me a few photo sites is wasteful. I'm a planner by nature and thoroughly research anywhere I'm going before hand.

Just wondered if anyone had been on a dedicated workshop and if they felt they took away more than just going places on your own.
View Quote
What type of photography would this tour focus on? Landscape, architecture, wildlife, people, etc?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:07:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What type of photography would this tour focus on? Landscape, architecture, wildlife, people, etc?
View Quote
It would be landscape. It would be helpful in some more remote locations to have a guide who has pre scouted the locations, that is the sole benefit I can see
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It would be landscape. It would be helpful in some more remote locations to have a guide who has pre scouted the locations, that is the sole benefit I can see
View Quote
They might also have some other locations that are less traveled.   Additionally they probably have the experience based on the weather forecast what the best locations to try.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#8]
This summer, I signed up for a lighthouse tour for photographers on the Maine coast. Reluctantly though, because my last similar tour was full of fat old women hogging the rail and view. Tour was cancelled due to rough seas.
So my next alternative is to either find and charter individual boat use or else spring for a boat then shoot what I can then resell the boat.
No tour is going to compete with doing it on your own, but being on your own could certainly be a drawback in some circumstances.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:45:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
In my experience it would be more helpful to get a job as a forester and just tote a camera around with you every day.  You just might get lucky!

Hamakua Road That Time Forgot by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Wife and I just got back from a 3 week tour of NZ.

We hired a photographer from Australia who knew the area well.

Wife is a newb to photography.

Was well worth the money.

I would have had NO idea where to go.

I did find some cool spots without him, but it was by sheer luck.

This trip was expensive, so I did not want to risk it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top