Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2018 10:11:20 PM EDT
Having made the leap, I'm now happily (so far) in command of my M5 with its EF mount adapter plus the 17-40 EF L lens that I've owned for more than a decade.
No shots yet, but battery charged & all ready to go...
Anyone else coupling their existing L lenses with the Canon mirrorless bodies? Am I going to hate myself down the road?
Should I have just held out for the RF mount releases?

Further info, existing cameras are an eos5d & an eos50d, both with battery grips plus 4 EF L lenses & an EF 100 Macro with plans to add a 180 EF L macro.
Also plan to pick up an MD lens adapter to use my very old manual Minolta Rokkor X lenses.
But considering adding an eos film body* as well as an eos6d to avoid lens swaps in the field. Photographic equivalent of a pirate reload.

* Because nostalgia happens - I miss sloshing tanks sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#1]
My brother uses both the native lens and has adapters.  Currently he has an m6 I believe.  M3 got a little wet and passed away.  M3 in pic.  This was setting up for eclipse last year.Attachment Attached File

Ive played around with the m3 with native wide angle lens and it was pretty cool.  I really like the form factor.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My brother uses both the native lens and has adapters.  Currently he has an m6 I believe.  M3 got a little wet and passed away.  M3 in pic.  This was setting up for eclipse last year.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/300631/D72_2357b_jpg-760883.JPG

Ive played around with the m3 with native wide angle lens and it was pretty cool.  I really like the form factor.
View Quote
Wow. Those lenses make mine look like chump change!
I'm still debating about getting an native eos M mount lens.
The camera body is about the same as my eos G15. A pancake lens seems like it would make a great walk-around setup.
But I'm really hoping for capability than a single length lens.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#3]
The 600 was on loan from Cannon.  The other one is a 100-400 perhaps (I don't remember) with extender.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The 600 was on loan from Cannon.  The other one is a 100-400 perhaps (I don't remember) with extender.
View Quote
An acquaintance  (pro photo news & sports) has the nice fat, white 300. Best I could do was the 70-300L.
I've seen the 100-400 in action, but was always leery about its "dust pump" reputation.
It's almost difficult to imagine the 600 on an M series. Definitely not for handholding.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Those tripods are for his larger cameras and are rock solid.

I’d love a big lens for my Nikon but can’t justify it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
An acquaintance  (pro photo news & sports) has the nice fat, white 300. Best I could do was the 70-300L.
I've seen the 100-400 in action, but was always leery about its "dust pump" reputation.
It's almost difficult to imagine the 600 on an M series. Definitely not for handholding.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the Ver 2 of the 100-400 did away with the dust pump feature.... it's a standard twist-to-zoom
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
the Ver 2 of the 100-400 did away with the dust pump feature.... it's a standard twist-to-zoom
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's nice to know.
It's a good reach range.
Have to add that to my list.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Have my Minolta converter on the way, looked up the details on newer 100-400L! Awesome, can confirm that is no longer the infamous "dust pump!"
Thanks for that information!
(Yea, I know I just had a blind spot based on past encounters with that lens, but who would think Canon would get creative & solve a problem?!?)
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a 100-400 ver 1 for years, and didn't really have an issue with it, although I was aware of the dust issues so I did send it in to CPS annually for a tune up
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had a 100-400 ver 1 for years, and didn't really have an issue with it, although I was aware of the dust issues so I did send it in to CPS annually for a tune up
View Quote
I'm still using my original eos5d (v1) which is unfortunately very sensitive/prone to dust. It's less of an issue on my eos50d & not likely to be a problem on my brand new m5, but I like to keep that old 5d available simp!y because the images it produces (dust aside) are so beautifully smooth grained.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top