Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2018 2:22:05 AM EDT
I saw this deal on B&H and Amazon for almost $600 off. The Mark II seems pretty awesome at that price for a full frame mirrorless if you don’t care about 4K video. Anyone here a fan of this camera?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:50:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I am happy with mine.

But......

Batteries!  Get batteries.  They love to drain batteries.

On the plus side,  If you shoot a lot.  Like I do.  I bring USB battery pack with me along with about 4 to 6 batteries.

That is a Reasonable price.

That said.  My A7III Rocks.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:12:29 AM EDT
[#2]
A7ii with lens for less than the body alone?

I see some bundles on amazon for $998 but not for $900...

That said, I recently bought an A7S body (original version) - so not ready to splurge on another Sony right now...
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That said, I recently bought an A7S body (original version) - so not ready to splurge on another Sony right now...
View Quote
Yes, meant $998.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 7:29:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes, meant $998.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, meant $998.
I would do it if you are looking for a good camera at a great price.  Just remember Batteries!

Here is what I paid for mine...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought one. Got it this morning from FedEx.  So far I’ve only snapped a few photos here in my home office. I recently bought an RX100M2 also. Having a menu system similar in both cameras was part of the decision too.

I put the A7M2 next to my old Canon AE-1 and they are about the same size. The body of the Canon might be slightly smaller. Not that it matters but I thought that it was interesting.

Both cameras are probably more than I need right now but as I near retirement in 10 or so years I’ll probably get back into photography as a hobby. I enjoy the technology as much as the creative side.

I was looking hard at the Fuji cameras before buying this one.  I think I had narrowed down potential choices to the XT100, XT20, or XT2 or 3 but I wanted to keep it under a grand since I just bought an RX100M2. My wife will be so happy.

Anyway, too much info.....I bought one. Thanks for the responses.

BTW, I’m afraid B&H Photo is going to become like Palmetto State Armory to me. I’ll never be able to retire.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would do it if you are looking for a good camera at a great price.  Just remember Batteries!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/1105181725_jpg-729143.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, meant $998.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/1105181725_jpg-729143.JPG
Roger that on the batteries. I saw a YouTube video where someone said put the camera in airplane mode to keep the WiFi off and to turn pre-AF off since the camera would otherwise be continuously hunting around for focus just by having the camera on. So I’ll see how that helps.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Roger that on the batteries. I saw a YouTube video where someone said put the camera in airplane mode to keep the WiFi off and to turn pre-AF off since the camera would otherwise be continuously hunting around for focus just by having the camera on. So I’ll see how that helps.
View Quote
I don't use Pre AF.

I have never thought to put it in airplane mode.

I use my a7II a lot.  I am happy enough with it that it is used as much or more than my A7III when I am at airshows and stuff.  That said They do make an adapter to use the NP FZ100 batteries.  I will likely be getting that soon.  But First will be a Sony G 100-400 to go with the 70-200 F4.  

And yes...  B&H is awesome.  Its a dangerous place to spend too much time looking around.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Adorama has the deal with the A7II, 28-70 OSS lens, memory card, and gorilla pod today only for $998. Adorama
View Quote
NUTS!

Lol

That's a good deal.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#10]
put the camera in airplane mode to keep the WiFi off
View Quote
I guess I sort of understand why manufacturers are putting wifi in there, but for me it's a completely useless feature.  I've never got Nikon's implementation to work properly, and it's just easier to yank the card and plug it into the laptop.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I never understood the need for WiFi especially in the days of big add on you had to plug into your camera, but these days it’s all well integrated.

Makes it easy to grab a shot off the camera, and email or text it from your phone while on location without the need to break out a laptop.
View Quote
That's not been my experience with Nikon's Snapbridge, but then again maybe I'm not doing it right.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's not been my experience with Nikon's Snapbridge, but then again maybe I'm not doing it right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never understood the need for WiFi especially in the days of big add on you had to plug into your camera, but these days it’s all well integrated.

Makes it easy to grab a shot off the camera, and email or text it from your phone while on location without the need to break out a laptop.
Sony NFC works very well.

I have used it a good bit while in Oshkosh.  I sent a couple photos to journalists there just this last time I was there.  I can send photos to my phone in the snap of a finger.

I am not very good at editing photos well,  But I can send pics to my phone and edit them and upload them when I am not near the computer.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, Snapbridge pretty much sucks. I think I played with it once after I got my D500 and have never turned the WiFi on since, I've never felt the need to rush to get a photo onto my phone to send it out.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:29:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 1:30:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I just ordered one for $998. The sale is back on at BH and I believe Amazon. Best Buy is also running a Black Friday special. I ordered from BH for obvious reasons plus free overnight.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 1:37:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just ordered one for $998. The sale is back on at BH and I believe Amazon. Best Buy is also running a Black Friday special. I ordered from BH for obvious reasons plus free overnight.
View Quote
Thats a good deal.

Order extra batteries.

I have 6 batteries and I could use more when I am shooting all day. That said.  I will be ordering this in the near future.  
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1333268-REG/sony_npa_mqz1k_multi_battery_adapter.html

Even so.  It is a great camera.  I find I use it as much or more than my A7III.  And my A7III beats it like a readheaded stepchild in a lot of ways.

You will like it.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 1:39:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I’m hoping for a good Black Friday deal on the A7III
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 1:58:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I love my A7! Of course it was free. I love when my dad upgrade equipment!!! More camera than I am capable of using. Never a photography buff. But I am learning
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Just came in today. First step back into photography since high school and back then I only had a Canon Powershot G7.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/454975/CD2EB3AE-5563-4825-81DE-F422B70A243B-745607.jpg

Just came in today. First step back into photography since high school and back then I only had a Canon Powershot G7.
View Quote
Noice!

Now get to playing with it!

It's a bad habit.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:42:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/454975/CD2EB3AE-5563-4825-81DE-F422B70A243B-745607.jpg

View Quote
@90SH556

So?

Have you played with your new camera a bit?
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
@90SH556

So?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@90SH556

So?

A little, the pictures seem sharp. I can see the need for different leneses. But more importantly read up in the different settings. While my old G7 was a really capable camera, I don’t really remember all that settings like I did back then. I will probably take a photography class at the local community college  for something to do. I also ordered a card reader for my MacBook Pro so I can upload my pictures. I mostly snapped pictures of family pets so far because I hate people. I will mostly use it for landscape and architecture, occasional automobiles and airplanes.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 1:06:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

A little, the pictures seem sharp. I can see the need for different leneses. But more importantly read up in the different settings. While my old G7 was a really capable camera, I don’t really remember all that settings like I did back then. I will probably take a photography class at the local community college  for something to do. I also ordered a card reader for my MacBook Pro so I can upload my pictures. I mostly snapped pictures of family pets so far because I hate people. I will mostly use it for landscape and architecture, occasional automobiles and airplanes.
View Quote
That 28-70 is actually a very good lens.  Learn your way around the camera.  Once you are comfortable and have an idea of what subjects you like to photograph mainly then look into lenses.

Check out Youtube.  Tons of good tutorials.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top