Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2018 10:07:04 AM EDT
So I've retired the MacBook Pro to road duty. This week I brought home the 27" iMac 5k. But the allotment I had for the Mac was maxed out with the 3.4ghz 8g memory version(girlfriend broke her laptop so I had to replace that at the same time) unfortunately.

What memory cards are recommended to expand the ram on these machines? I know you can expand up to 64g memory I believe. I think if I add 2 more 8g cards(24gig total) to the open slots, it'd help a lot. I wanted the 16g ram version, but after seeing the expansion options, it seems cheaper to expand it myself anyways.

Thanks in advance for the recs gents!
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to crucial.com and run their system scanner.

It will tell you all your options.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go to crucial.com and run their system scanner.

It will tell you all your options.
View Quote
I was looking at their offerings thinking they may be the go-tos. Will definitely check into it. I don’t know my head from my ass in this realm of things. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Ive got the same machine (18,3)

I got the 2x 16 GB from here for a total of 40 GB....  works great......

iMac memory    <-----OWC

Just remember if you buy 8GB and want more, you can only add 32gb (2x16), for a total of 48GB.....

with that said, 24GB will probably be plenty for anything short of extreme usage.....

good luck!

crucial version.  <---------Crucial

The link above is to crucial, but make sure you double check by clickingg on th e apple>about this Mac>memory tab>memory upgrade instructions fro your system specifics.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't have an iMac, but I've had good luck upgrading my MacPro with products from OWC.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive got the same machine (18,3)

I got the 2x 16 GB from here for a total of 40 GB....  works great......

iMac memory    <-----OWC

Just remember if you buy 8GB and want more, you can only add 32gb (2x16), for a total of 48GB.....

with that said, 24GB will probably be plenty for anything short of extreme usage.....

good luck!

crucial version.  about this Mac>memory tab>memory upgrade instructions fro your system specifics.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top