Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2018 10:50:32 PM EDT
I'm looking for a very basic P&S digital camera for my folks. They always keep a few cardboard single-use cameras around, and bitch about the quality of the pictures they get. They also bitch about having to get pictures developed. I want them to be happy. And to stop bitching.

My parameters are ease of use, rechargeable AA-style batteries, and the ability to plug the camera into my computer so I can print their pics. A good zoom would be nice, and I'll take all the megapixels I can get. The camera will be used for getting images of dogs and grandkids, generally. If the camera is too feature-rich, Dad will soak it in holy water then throw it away. No matter how many advantages are offered by the camera, my mom will continue to cut the tops of peoples' heads off (I guess there's no tech cure for that, but I'm hoping using a view screen will help). Water and drop resistance are both a plus.

Thanks for your time, in advance.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 2:30:36 AM EDT
[#1]
These days? An iPhone.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably something along the lines of a Nikon CoolPix A10.  Under $100, meets your battery requirement, and isn't too feature rich.

Amazon Product
  • 16.1-megapixel CCD image sensor for excellent photos and 720p HD videos
  • 5x optical zoom NIKKOR glass lens
  • 2.7-inch large, bright QVGA LCD display; It accepts alkaline, lithium and Nikon rechargeable batteries, available as an optional accessory

Link Posted: 9/23/2018 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These days? An iPhone.
View Quote
Thanks, but nope. I can't even get them to enable messaging on their flips so I can send pics to them. That said, my 6S is the best camera I own.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Probably something along the lines of a Nikon CoolPix A10.  Under $100, meets your battery requirement, and isn't too feature rich.

www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRCWQRM
View Quote
This one is on my short list. I see that it's available as a refurb, with a goodie bundle. Anybody have experience with the refurbs? Am I better off with a factory-fresh unit, with an enhanced SD card? It seems that some cameras have an upper limit on SD card capability. Is 64GB sufficient? 128s are almost as spendy as the camera.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#5]
If they're still using disposable cameras even a camera phone will be head and shoulders better.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This one is on my short list. I see that it's available as a refurb, with a goodie bundle. Anybody have experience with the refurbs? Am I better off with a factory-fresh unit, with an enhanced SD card? It seems that some cameras have an upper limit on SD card capability. Is 64GB sufficient? 128s are almost as spendy as the camera.
View Quote
64 meg should be more than sufficient.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If they're still using disposable cameras even a camera phone will be head and shoulders better.
View Quote
One more time...they don't want smart phones, and they do not own a computer. I'm here to put a CAMERA in their hands, not drag them into the 21st Century. That's too much like work. Better if I print their pics and let them enjoy themselves.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's what, 3-4 pictures on a modern camera?

View Quote
Damnit, I meant gig. Derp!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top