Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2018 9:53:37 PM EDT
Honestly, this is an awesome idea that I'll have to try out sometime.  Can't believe I never thought of it.

Swap Tripod Heads The Fast Way!
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL, is this some kind of revelation?
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LOL, is this some kind of revelation?
View Quote
To me it is  I never really thought about putting a head on a QD plate.  It makes sense, but I never really put 2 + 2 together on it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:36:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:44:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is it really that hard to just unscrew it?

I see that as an extra failure point.
View Quote
Did ARMS #22 throw levers by Dick Swan wrong you at some point in your life?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:52:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not really, but I can see the point if you’re traveling and need a ball and gimbal head, but are on very limited space.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:02:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:41:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm not really tracking here. How does this make any change at all regarding space? If anything, adding the extra mount to the heads + the tripod actually hurts space.

I've had two similar single screw plates fail, and I'm definitely not trusting my gimbal head to one.

You do as you wish with your gear, but as I said, that strikes me as another potential failure point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really, but I can see the point if you’re traveling and need a ball and gimbal head, but are on very limited space.
I'm not really tracking here. How does this make any change at all regarding space? If anything, adding the extra mount to the heads + the tripod actually hurts space.

I've had two similar single screw plates fail, and I'm definitely not trusting my gimbal head to one.

You do as you wish with your gear, but as I said, that strikes me as another potential failure point.
It was against bringing a separate tripod (I think) I do agree on the failure point though. Just thought it was interesting.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#8]
It's difficult to unscrew the ball head, if it's held on with Loctite.

It's a matter of convenience.  The same reason we put quick release clamps on a ball head so we can mount the camera/lenses quickly.  Those would be more secure when screwed on, too. If you are a pro, and time is money, then the convenience might be worth the (very small, IMO) risk of failure.

Really, the biggest weak point I see, is that there is one more quick release clamp in the setup, which could be accidentally opened.  I have a Gitzo tripod, with RRS ballhead and clamps, and I can't see any of that equipment failing under normal use.  It's high quality stuff, and you would have to beat the shit out of it to get something to physically break. Sure, it might break if you dropped off of a cliff or something, but then the camera/lens would be toast anyway.

Well anyway, it's a non-issue for me, because I only have one ball head, and no gimbal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top