Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2018 9:32:55 PM EDT
Video!!

Post 'em if you got 'em.

Thunderstorm2014 06 11 Edit

The cool thing about this one is that about 1:15 you'll see this wisp of smoke move across the frame; that's from a wildfire started by lightning a mile or so away.

Frozen Pond Startrails 20180106

Front Yard Timelapse 20180707
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:26:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd love to, but there's currently no point in trying due to my internet.  I have to put photos up at 1/8th resolution just to get them uploading.  Been trying to dropbox a file for Zack for nearly a week and the connection keeps stalling out.  Although it is 7-10mb/s up and up to 1mb/s up, but usually closer to .5-.7 mb/s max.

So I'll live through you guys.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Lake Moonrise h264 420 1080p VHQ
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#4]
sequence h264 420 1080p UHQ
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.

23 miles in 23 seconds.  With a break for sightseeing!

CBBT Northbound Time Lapse VIRB0088
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I've probably posted some of these before, but there are a few new ones.

Cold Mountain, Virginia, Time Lapse

Blue Ridge Star Trail Time Lapse

Clouds Moving Across the Blue Ridge
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow, a lot of these are just so mesmerizing, very tranquil.

Question for those who have posted, what camera are you using to do these time lapse? DSLR, GoPro, other? I assume processing in Lightroom/Photoshop?
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, a lot of these are just so mesmerizing, very tranquil.

Question for those who have posted, what camera are you using to do these time lapse? DSLR, GoPro, other? I assume processing in Lightroom/Photoshop?
View Quote
Some are purely from a GoPro, a 3+ Silver and a 5 Black.  And some are a combination of GoPro and DSLR.

The rock climbing timelapse was purely ad hoc.  Showed up with a DSLR, bunch of lenses, two tripods, two GoPros ... and no memory cards.

Found one slower microSD in the 3+, but didn't have the SD adapter to use it in my DSLR, so I put it in the Hero5B, set to timelapse, because the bitrate was too slow for 4k video.  And the GoPro was oriented in portait mode purely for stills.  It was only after I edited the best still that I went back and rotated and cropped the series to make it look like a timelapse video.

The sleeping bag timelapse was with a H5B.  Tried doing it with a DSLR, but just couldnt get enough DOF for the viewer to be able to tell it's a sleeping bag ... better detail in the sky, though, than with the GoPro.

Some of the scenes with moving star trails we're compiled using StarStax using the 'save after each image' setting.

With the nighttime stuff, sometimes I was after a single, compiled image, but the stars were either overwhelming, or too much moving cloud cover ... so the footage was simply turned into a moving timelapse instead ... or vice versa.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#10]
All mine are from a GoPro or Virb, GoPro was with a Session or Hero 6.

Editing was all done with the GoPro Studio software (free), but I think it's no longer available becasue they want you to use that dumb-ass Quik software.

I'm trying out HitFilm Express, but the learning curve is steep.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Timelapse from last years eclipse
Moon Shadow

Total Eclipse - Moonshadow from Carlton McMillan on Vimeo.

I have a real time version of it as well.
https://vimeo.com/230762819
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Timelapse from last years eclipse
Moon Shadow

Total Eclipse - Moonshadow from Carlton McMillan on Vimeo.

I have a real time version of it as well.
https://vimeo.com/230762819
View Quote
The 2018 Ice Climbing video I posted actually starts off with the stuff I shot during the 2017 eclipse … but, auto-exposure being what it is … you can't tell.   Ooops.

Was just out there this past Friday, and got some aerial footage of the upper falls.  Maybe I can finally get around to finishing up the 'draft'?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#13]
How long of an exposure can a gopro take?

One of these days I'd like to buy one to mess around with night time lapse
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:02:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Some of them have a dedicated "night lapse" capture mode that'll really drag out the shutter speeds.

Pretty sure the GF's 5 has that.

I have not used it.

If I'm not mistaken certain models can do 30 sec shutter speeds. I know the GF's 5 black can. I'd hazard a guess a more modern one could as well.
View Quote
I'll have to look into it, of course I can just set up a camera to do the same thing but I think I want to grab a gopro for playing around with fishing, kayaking and hunting videos.   Not for youtube or anything just for something to mess with, I'd probably end up doing time lapse more than anything, I've always liked them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How long of an exposure can a gopro take?

One of these days I'd like to buy one to mess around with night time lapse
View Quote
The 4s and up can handle up to a 30 second exposure.

But, with any of the GoPros, ambient temperature is your enemy with long exposures.  I don't know about the 6s, but with the 3s-5s, when ambient temps are above 60ºF, long exposure, low light photos can be overwhelmed with noise, especially as the timelapse progresses.  One thing you can do is put your hand over the camera to get a completely dark frame at the end of the exposure, and then use dark frame subtraction, based upon that one dark frame.  You're going to lose a lot of pixel data via this method, but you'll have a far more usable compiled image or timelapse video.

Noise is greatly reduced with ambient temps below 60ºF.

I'll dig around for an example.

The huge benefit of a GoPro is that you can set it up for B Camera footage while you're doing other stuff.  A 10000 mAh external battery will allow it to record all day.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:51:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Some timelapse scenes can be very prone to exposure flicker.  In these two videos, you can see the benefits of using de-flicker software.

I used TimLapse DeFlicker software, twenty bucks, to sort out the horrendous exposure jitter in the beginning of this video.

Without de-flicker …

Sand Rock, Alabama (without de-flicker)

After applying TLDF software …

Link Posted: 8/8/2018 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Okay, I got a couple GoPro's and shot a small time lapse of photos. Now I need some free software suggestions to use to combine them. I downloaded the free one on GoPro's site, but have to have Win10 to use. I have Win7.

Any suggestions? I do plan on getting Lightroom after I get back from vacation next month, but would like to use something for the time being.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Cool thread, for some reason I really like time lapse videos.

Here are a few of mine.

I need to go back add music to the older ones.

The last two are a bit long and slow, better if you speed them up to 1.5 or 2 times normal.

Convective time lapse 6-29-2018

Time lapse video of clouds and rainbow.

Time lapse sunrise and moon rise April 2017

Time lapse compilation of clouds January to March 2017
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You can track down an older version of GoPro studio.
View Quote
Okay, I found a version of GoPro Studio. Dropped this quick one in.
Now that I have a small knowledge of it, I'll play around more.

https://youtu.be/RSo0S0e9ptg
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Annyone know of a legit link to get Gopro studio?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Annyone know of a legit link to get Gopro studio?
View Quote
This is where I found my copy.
https://download.cnet.com/GoPro-Studio/3000-18515_4-75974744.html
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This is where I found my copy.
https://download.cnet.com/GoPro-Studio/3000-18515_4-75974744.html
View Quote
Thanks dude but I need a mac copy unfortunately, I'll try looking later for a copy
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks dude but I need a mac copy unfortunately, I'll try looking later for a copy
View Quote
Try this one instead
https://download.cnet.com/GoPro-Studio/3000-13631_4-75993258.html
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 11:45:05 PM EDT
[#26]
These were mostly intended to be stacked into single frame star-trail images, but pulled the source files together to make a moving time lapse video.  Because the images were originally intended to be stills, I shot a number of these scenes in portrait mode.  So, the 16x9 image you see is a crop of the original 2x3 vertical framing.  The DaVinci Resolve software does a very good job in handling these odd file size/orientations.  The GoPro editor, which I liked very much, couldn't handle these orientations, and it would take some macro work in Photoshop to do the cropping, etc - and to compound the problems, later revisions of the GoPro software got rid of the boxes for numerical adjustments, allowing for only slider adjustments, which just bogged down the process to the point where it was worth it to kick it to the curb and tackle the learning curve for the DaVinci stuff - both software platforms are free of charge from the developers.

There's a lot of faint detail in the stars, and it might be best to watch it at a higher resolution than what's embedded in the thread.

Virginia Military Institute - Night Time Lapse
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 12:02:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Wife bought me a hero5 session, cool camera to play with but useless for star timelapse shots.

Can only shoot 5s as the longest exposure, wtf?

Still fun though
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wife bought me a hero5 session, cool camera to play with but useless for star timelapse shots.

Can only shoot 5s as the longest exposure, wtf?

Still fun though
View Quote
Even the Blacks struggle with star time lapse stuff - the thermal sensor noise is severe.  Counterintuitively, they'll do better when the moon is out.  Because the problem is thermal, in the winter, they work quite well.  In the summer, they're yuck; after some post processing, you can sometimes get usable stuff, but it's hit or miss - well I'm sure it's quantifiable based on lighting levels vs sensor temp, but I'm not going to do that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top