Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2018 10:19:22 AM EDT
Don't get me wrong, am loving my D700 that i picked up for $375 (also came with a 35mm 2.0 lens), but as always, I'm always looking for sumthin different.

What wld be the camera that replaced the D700 that I can start sniffing around for?

Yesterday......with my Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 lens.

Edit:   I should add, really would prefer a camera without video.   Probably not possible, tho.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 11:22:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There really wasn't a D700 replacement.

The D750 dropped back to prosumer button layouts.

The D800/810/850 are the super sensors with pro controls.

The D750 is rumored to be replaced in the next year or so but it's still a damn fine camera if you can live with the slightly smaller body and prosumer control layout.
View Quote
Thank u for the info.  I'll never push the D700 (or just about any camera) with my photo skills, but it's always fun stumbling onto a good deal.

Link Posted: 7/8/2018 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#3]
What about a D600?   Found one with very low shutter count and owner has proof of shutter replacement thru Nikon.

He said it is perfect with no issues what-so-ever.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 12:54:19 PM EDT
[#4]
D700 is a fantastic camera.  I bought mine new in 2011, and held onto it until I bought a D850 last year.  I think a reasonable "upgrade" from the D700 (if you want to stay full frame) would be a D810 or D850.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Mind if I ask, which version of the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 are you using?  I recently rented the new G2 version and had very good results, but am wondering if it's worth spending the money over the older G1 version that can probably be had for less than half price used.

Sorry, PM me if you don't want to derail the thread.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve got a nice D3 that’s been sitting around with minimal use since 2013...I might be interested in parting ways. Same sensor as the D700. GREAT camera.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mind if I ask, which version of the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 are you using?  I recently rented the new G2 version and had very good results, but am wondering if it's worth spending the money over the older G1 version that can probably be had for less than half price used.

View Quote
I like the lens and it has been a good performer so far.   How much better than the previous generation I do not know, tho.   I still have not quite figured out how the tap a talk gizmo works......the way u fine tune the autofocus.  Seem cumbersome to me.  Thankfully, the focus seems pretty close as it is.

If I cld do it all over again, I prob wld not buy it.  For some reason, I thought the lens was made in Japan, not China.   The build quality seems very good, however, I wld have preferred a lens made in Japan.   Oh well.

Link Posted: 7/8/2018 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#8]
You can get a D800 for about $700.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Where?
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Where?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where?
Fred Miranda Buy & Sell
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Fred Miranda Buy & Sell
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10
View Quote
Thank u for the link.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Keep an eye out for the Nikon refurb sales too. The D750 goes to $1400 or less sometimes.

But used in good condition or refurb are good ways to save a few bucks. Minus a few lenses and the D850, all of my Nikon gear is returns or used. Gonna suck if I get NPS at some point. Can’t buy used anymore without threatening your status with Nikon. . Upsides still outweigh that though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Keep an eye out for the Nikon refurb sales too. The D750 goes to $1400 or less sometimes.

But used in good condition or refurb are good ways to save a few bucks. Minus a few lenses and the D850, all of my Nikon gear is returns or used. Gonna suck if I get NPS at some point. Can’t buy used anymore without threatening your status with Nikon. . Upsides still outweigh that though.
View Quote
Never knew about that program.  Though I do have 940 points wort of gear.  But then again, none of my work is professional.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Never knew about that program.  Though I do have 940 points wort of gear.  But then again, none of my work is professional.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a neat program but 100% of your income needs to be from photography/photography related stuff.  Discounts, preferential repairs and deals on new stuff, free lens rentals once or twice a year of anything in the catalog, discounts on repairs, etc.  Not like I'll make it like that anytime soon, but I can wish.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shoot for a living and I still haven't gotten in. I had the paper email in for the forms to join, filled them out, but didn't get the letter of recommendation from one of the other photojournalists/members before the paper was sold and most of the photographers took the buy out. It is a tedious process.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is the boat I'm in. I've only rented the Nikon VRII version though. The only thing that's pushing me toward the G2 is the ability to update firmware via the thingy majig, the VC and the arca compatible collar. Not really sure if those 3 things are really worth the extra $500 or so. But I still have a few more pennies to save before I think about it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is the boat I'm in. I've only rented the Nikon VRII version though. The only thing that's pushing me toward the G2 is the ability to update firmware via the thingy majig, the VC and the arca compatible collar. Not really sure if those 3 things are really worth the extra $500 or so. But I still have a few more pennies to save before I think about it.
View Quote
I can't comment on the G1, but the G2 is pretty impressive.
Golden Eagle by Justin Springer, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I can't comment on the G1, but the G2 is pretty impressive.
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1743/42695105851_425efed3c5_c.jpgGolden Eagle by Justin Springer, on Flickr
View Quote
I will have a copy Friday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top