Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2018 8:12:28 PM EDT
This could be interesting.  Odds are a lot will get firmed up before early/mid August as Photokina is in September.

Lexar is having new XQD cards to market Q3 this year.  Sony announced upcoming new (details withheld) XQD for Photokina as well.

Nikon:

-Supposed to be announced July/August before Photokina
-2x new Mirrorless.  25mp and 46-48mp BSI sensors
-5 axis in body stabilization
-likely new AF system ala dual pixel or similar/hybrid
-9fps
-new Z mount with adapter to F mount lenses
-Z mount allows for f/0.95 NOCT lenses
-high resolution EVF
-2-3 primes and a 24-70mm at launch, plus adapter.  
-25mp $3000 with lens, 45+MP $4k with 24-70mm
-XQD and CF Express slots

-2x new unnamed cameras using the EN-EL15 battery  Could be D750 and D610 replacements?  Built in wifi and bluetooth
-New EN-EL18 battery coming out to unitize the production line and introduce new tech.  IMO for the new mirrorless high MP camera.
-1x camera with built in wifi/bluetooth but no other info available
-Possible new D3000 series
-Likely new Coolpix A1000
-New radio trigger
-New 'red dot' mounted on hot shoe for wildlife/bird in flight quickshot photography.

If Nikon adopts CF Express, they should be able to push a compatibility firmware to let you use the cards.  Will still be limited by bus speeds, but can use the cards.

Sony:

Announced for Japan: RX100 M5A with release in the next 2 weeks.  Update from the

Not really much known but it looks like the A7SIII or similar.

-ExMorRS BSI HDR sensor
-4k 60fps HDR video
-"technically better" sensor than A9 and similar

Canon:

-New mirrorless full frame approx ~28-30mp, possibly more.  Built in bluetooth but not compatible with smartphone bluetooth control
-New mirrorless (possibly) full frame with bluetooth that is compatible with smartphone remote control
-New APS-C DSLR with built in bluetooth
-Unknown info new DSLR with bluetooth
-3x compact digital
-APS-C mirrorless w/ smartphone bluetooth
-Unknown info interchangeable lens but small body.
-5x new lenses

Fuji:

-XF10 was supposed to be released tomorrow, but no idea if typo or changed.
-X-T3 no major info other than it has bluetooth
-GFX 50R same as above
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 2:51:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Looking forward to see what Nikon cooks up for the mirrorless.  Also looking forward to see what actually happens with the Fuji GFX-50R.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I am stoked for more mirror-less options.   While the D850 is still the best for what I do by far, mirror-less has advantages in numerous areas and I am looking forward to them catching up or surpassing mirrored cameras!
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#3]
They need to hurry up with new XQD or CF Express, both for availability and hopefully it brings the cost down a bit.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#4]
So has any body come out with a “color calibrated touch screen monitor”?  Being aggravating the Canon reps about that for 10+ years.

On another note are there any “brick and motar” stores anymore? I’ve been out of the selling end of the biz since ‘11. Wife still shoots with her 7D,  5D Mk II’s & lll’s and has the work flow dialed in for them. The pro end for commercial and portraiture imaging is a fading biz ?? and has been since about 2000. IMHO YMMV
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So has any body come out with a "color calibrated touch screen monitor"?  Being aggravating the Canon reps about that for 10+ years.

On another note are there any "brick and motar" stores anymore? I've been out of the selling end of the biz since '11. Wife still shoots with her 7D,  5D Mk II's & lll's and has the work flow dialed in for them. The pro end for commercial and portraiture imaging is a fading biz ?? and has been since about 2000. IMHO YMMV
View Quote
Yes.  But not near as many these days.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Made the switch from Nikon FF to Fuji in 2012...haven’t looked back since. Still using the XT1, maybe it’s time to bump up to the XT3.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Excellent. All this new gear makes the used gear I might actually purchase some day cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 10:45:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 11:26:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yep, I look forward to being able to purchase a used D850 for a decent price when someone dumps it for a mirrorless.

I can't be the only one that just doesn't get the mirrorless craze.

Why would I want a camera that's too small to hold easily, burns through batteries way too fast, can't compete with the AF of my D500 and really wouldn't work hanging on the back of my 400?

I don't doubt that there is a market for such cameras, but all the talk about mirrorless cameras eventually killing off DSLRs in full is just crazy.
View Quote
I’m excited to see what canon brings in for mirrorless. Sony at least has addressed most of your complaints. A battery that can compete with dslr, eye af that blows just about everything out of the water, they have changed the ergonomics so it fits in the hand a lot better. My pinky kind of floats in space without a battery grip.

I’ve messed about with a a7r3 recently and I’m willing to bet it will blow just about any af out of the water. One of the nice factors is the evf, being able to see what your picture is going to look like before even taking it.

Up until recently I had a similar take on the mirrorless systems.

There is also a lot of tech to still come with mirrorless. I’m not saying mirrorless will be for everyone but I think you are going to see most companies dissolve dslrs at some point. Canon has already stated that it is willing to cannibalize it’s current cameras if mirrorless succeeds.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 11:26:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yep, I look forward to being able to purchase a used D850 for a decent price when someone dumps it for a mirrorless.

Why would I want a camera that's too small to hold easily, burns through batteries way too fast, can't compete with the AF of my D500 and really wouldn't work hanging on the back of my 400?

I don't doubt that there is a market for such cameras, but all the talk about mirrorless cameras eventually killing off DSLRs in full is just crazy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Excellent. All this new gear makes the used gear I might actually purchase some day cheaper.

General observation... IMHO, too many people think mirrorless means tiny cameras and tiny lenses.

It can mean tiny cameras and lenses, but it doesn't have to. You can make something small enough it begins to loose usability.

Take Fuji-land for example.  People loved the small form-factor and lenses.  Some needed/ wanted a DSLR-type form-factor and constant aperture pro zooms.  Fuji delivers.  The wailing and gnashing of teeth over the size and weight was pretty loud.  Not nearly as loud as the screeching about the "massive" X-H1, designed to be a bit bigger with a slightly larger grip for those whose hands need the extra size, and to provide a better base for the larger lenses.  "OMG Fuji is killing the brand!", etc...

Mirrorless offers some advantages over DSLRs - no large mirror box, no large mirror assembly flipping up and down, WYSIWYG through the EVF, no need for lens focus fine tuning, etc...  Do DSLRs still do some things better than mirrorless?  Yup.  Plus, the ergos of the DSLR just work better for some people.  I doubt mirrorless will kill off DSLRs, but I do see the number of different models of DSLRs being reduced.

Key is to find what works best for your needs/ wants and go with what works for you and be happy.  So many people seem to loose sight of that, and think their way is the best/ only way and get too wrapped up in arguments.  Shame really.  We have so many good choices for photo gear these days.

IMHO, YMMV, yada yada yada, flame suit on...

edit - morning clarity, added in blue.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Battery life, and ergonomics has nothing to do with how a mirrorless camera functions, but rather the body style.  I get your point on AF speeds but disagree on your other complaints.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So has any body come out with a “color calibrated touch screen monitor”?  Being aggravating the Canon reps about that for 10+ years.

On another note are there any “brick and motar” stores anymore? I’ve been out of the selling end of the biz since ‘11. Wife still shoots with her 7D,  5D Mk II’s & lll’s and has the work flow dialed in for them. The pro end for commercial and portraiture imaging is a fading biz ?? and has been since about 2000. IMHO YMMV
View Quote
Being a pro-photographer has never been an easy endeavor, especially in today's environment where everyone with a DSLR calls themselves a "pro," though some are quite good most are not so good. Even in the film days it was tough making a living in photography.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Nabbed from Peter at Nikon Rumors it's not the full post, just key interests.

-Over 400 AF points, not sure about the exact number, it should be somewhere between 430-450. The AF is supposed to be very fast.
-There is a second LCD screen on the top of the camera
-I can now confirm that the new 24-70 mirrorless full frame kit lens will indeed be f/4
-The new Nikon mirrorless camera will have a nice finish and a very comfortable grip. The overall handling/feeling is supposed to be excellent - this is coming from somebody who is/has tested the camera.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Will Nikon's mirrorless take the F-Mount?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
It'll be a different mount (so far I've seen it called the Z mount) that allows faster lenses up to f/0.9, BUT they should be shipping at the same time as the F to Z adapter.

Personally I'd love something with great ISO performance and a super fast lens for aurora video, but it might be cheaper to get a Sony A7II and Rokinon lens.  Not that it's on my list currently since I know fuckall about video though.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:41:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
The rumors are that it will take f mount with a native adapter.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 12:50:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Nikon just announced the P1000. 16mp BSI sensor with a 24-3000mm equivalent lens, RAW format, 5 stop dual VR (in lens and sensor maybe) and 4K video.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 1:11:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 2:21:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This is going to be interesting. The P900 is one of the most impressive bridge cameras I've ever seen.

So impressive that I've considered more than a few times picking one up.

The shots that come out of that camera by someone that knows how to use it seriously blow my mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nikon just announced the P1000. 16mp BSI sensor with a 24-3000mm equivalent lens, RAW format, 5 stop dual VR (in lens and sensor maybe) and 4K video.
This is going to be interesting. The P900 is one of the most impressive bridge cameras I've ever seen.

So impressive that I've considered more than a few times picking one up.

The shots that come out of that camera by someone that knows how to use it seriously blow my mind.
I know, right? I’ve seriously considered getting a P900 for longer wildlife and aircraft photos. Way cheaper than a new super long lens but damned impressive for the money.

Might have to consider this one eventually.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 7:07:22 AM EDT
[#20]
It’s the freaking tester for their mirrorless. It’s got an EVF instead of pentaprism. Plus some odd lenses built into the grip and/or EVF. Extra focus tracking and a sensor for the EVF maybe?

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/compact-digital-cameras/coolpix-p1000.html

-3000mm optical zoom—the most powerful zoom lens ever put on a Nikon COOLPIX camera
-4K Ultra HD video with HDMI out, stereo sound and an accessory hot-shoe
-Rock-steady Dual Detect image stabilization and great low-light capability
-RAW (NRW), time-lapse and Superlapse shooting plus great creative modes
-Full manual controls along with easy auto shooting

Reading specs:

-5x ED lens elements 1x super ED (not sure what that is)
-1’ minimum focus on regular mode, 0.4” in macro at 24mm
-f/2.8 to f/8
-OLED electronic viewfinder
-7fps with a 7 shot buffer
-ISO 100-1600 normal, expanded to 3200 and 6400
-lens shift VR for stills, lens and electronic VR for video

Link Posted: 7/10/2018 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It’s got an EVF instead of pentaprism.
View Quote
The P900 has an EVF.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:55:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The P900 has an EVF.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It’s got an EVF instead of pentaprism.
The P900 has an EVF.
Oh, I didn't know that.  I've never seen one in person to be honest.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Pretty sure pentaprisms are used only in (D)SLR cameras. Most bridge cameras or point and shoots that have a viewfinder will have an EVF or an offset optical viewfinder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I didn't know that.  I've never seen one in person to be honest.
Pretty sure pentaprisms are used only in (D)SLR cameras. Most bridge cameras or point and shoots that have a viewfinder will have an EVF or an offset optical viewfinder.
Fair enough  We didn't carry them as a regular item at the shop, and the box stores locally don't either so I've never actually handled one.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#26]
First Look | Nikon COOLPIX P1000

Coolpix P1000 - Moon filmed in 4k UHD at 2000mm at 125x optical zoom

Coolpix P1000 - Moon filmed in 4k UHD at 3000mm at 125x optical zoom
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 1:16:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
My Sony a9 says hi.  The AF in that little rig is a beast, battery life is much better than the older bodies and ergos are personal preference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top