Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2018 7:59:40 AM EDT
Thread should be pretty self-explanatory!  Post em up!

Yes I know there is a tree in the way, my house is within 2 miles where they launch.  The tree blocking the view is a small price to pay for convenience.

EXIF:  60mm f4  1/60  ISO 6400  APS-C

Link Posted: 7/4/2018 8:03:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I plan on trying my hand at these for the first time. I'm kind of surprised it's taken me this long.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 8:05:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I plan on trying my hand at these for the first time. I'm kind of surprised it's taken me this long.
View Quote
This is my first time too lol.  60mm seems to be a perfect focal length from where I was shooting.  Going to use my 2.8 prime next time.

I read somewhere to use BULB setting from start-finish of an entire single firework explosion.

I tried that and it looked like shit.  Perhaps I wasn't doing it right.  So I just found an ISO that could give me 1/60 or faster.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Using 2.8 is to wide. Try between f8 and f11, I usually use around f11. Iso 100 and use bulb mode. Focal length can be what ever you want depending on how much background you like. Start the picture when you hear the firework launch stop when it starts to fade away. You can play around with this I generally like to get the mortar streak going up but you can start later if you don’t want this.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Using 2.8 is to wide. Try between f8 and f11, I usually use around f11. Iso 100 and use bulb mode. Focal length can be what ever you want depending on how much background you like. Start the picture when you hear the firework launch stop when it starts to fade away. You can play around with this I generally like to get the mortar streak going up but you can start later if you don't want this.
View Quote
I'll try this next time.  My bulb photos I took look like shit.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 10:18:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Taken a number of years ago with a D200.

1 sec, f/4, ISO 400, Tokina 12-24 f/4, @14mm, w/ perspective correction in post

Link Posted: 7/4/2018 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#6]
F/18
10 seconds
ISO 250

Tried to get the fireworks over the Main Post Chapel. It kind of worked you cant say for sure where the shells will burst till the show starts.

July 4 2017 by Fort Bragg, NC Paraglide, on Flickr" />

F18
15 seconds.
ISO 125

This was 15 feet to the left of the other shot.

longer shutter time makes for more bursts in the air, but with nothing else in the frame it becomes every other fireworks shot.

July 4 2017 by Fort Bragg, NC Paraglide, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh, and no firework shots for me this year. The company doesn't want to pay me for the 18 1/2 minuets the show lasts.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Oh, and no firework shots for me this year. The company doesn't want to pay me for the 18 1/2 minuets the show lasts.
View Quote
That's a damn shame.

But if I snap a blurry picture with my phone, and send to them for free, they will publish it, and give me full credit.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's a damn shame.

But if I snap a blurry picture with my phone, and send to them for free, they will publish it, and give me full credit.
View Quote
That's the NYT front page these days.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an idea I'm working on but not sure if I can pull it off tonight.  I'll need a fuckmassive dose of luck because even at ISO 64, f/9, I'm still bordering overexposure at 1/6 shutters at midnight currently.  Crossing my fingers.

Also, in for pics.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#11]
For the first attempts at it, I was pretty happy with the results. Did a bit of setting hunting, but stayed in a general area.

2" f11 @ ISO 200
CWI_1252 by Chris Weathers, on Flickr

1.6" f13 @ ISO 200
CWI_1301 by Chris Weathers, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#12]
With a growing toddler, it's been harder and harder to drag out the equipment to events, so this year I just grabbed my old T2i with a 24mm pancake lens (and a tripod at the last minute). Ended up a bit further back than I planned to be (with the 24mm lens) but it made for a quieter place to be along with a quicker escape route after the show was over.

f/11 with 5-10 second exposure:

Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
With a growing toddler, it's been harder and harder to drag out the equipment to events, so this year I just grabbed my old T2i with a 24mm pancake lens (and a tripod at the last minute). Ended up a bit further back than I planned to be (with the 24mm lens) but it made for a quieter place to be along with a quicker escape route after the show was over.

f/11 with 5-10 second exposure:

https://i.imgur.com/AovyKCV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4qzN1nh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Ud6GRTa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GsgMjmr.jpg
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top