Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2018 12:02:55 PM EDT
I currently have a Lowepro Topload 75, which is great for outdoor events where I need a limited amount of stuff. It's held up great to 15 years of banging around all over the country.

I'm looking to get a shoulder bag to carry everything else for indoor events where I have more room for gear.

Right now the Domke F2 looks good, but it doesn't appear to be padded at all outside of the center dividers.
Amazon Product
  • Ideal for two digital cameras with or without motor drives, multiple lenses up to 300mm, flash unit & small tablet computer
  • 12 compartments and pockets which includes a patented padded, adjustable & removable 4 compartment insert system
  • Proudly made in USA from tough and durable 100% cotton canvas

Does anyone else have suggestions for a rugged bag thats not massive, and under $150? Neutral non black colors are a plus (Olive, grey, khaki etc..)

I'd prefer a bag that I can carry slung to the side or front I can access gear without setting it down and fiddling with zippers to open up.
I currently have a Nikon 7500, 300mm lens, 18-55 lens, speedlight, Bogen tripod, assorted small items. Looking to add another lens or 2 sometime in the future. A tripod strap is nice but not required.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#1]
It probably won't meet all your specs, but Canon makes some bags that are actually pretty high in the bang-for-buck, in my opinion.  I've been using the Canon 200DG for probably about as long as you've been using your Lowepro, and it's a pretty solid bag for a low price.  I've been looking at something a little different as well lately and the Canon Professional Gadget Bag 1EG looks like a pretty solid option--but I want something that can carry my digital gear and my F100.

I know it's Canon, but I've been carrying Nikon stuff in it the whole time and haven't burst into flames once.  It won't win any style points, but you get a lot for the money.

However, I'm also looking at other options so I'm going to stay tuned to your thread.  I've been looking at some of the stuff locally, but there's not a lot of selection and when you get into nicer stuff it rapidly gets into the $2-300 range for fairly small bags.  I've read reviews of the Domke stuff, and it seems like good quality but there are a lot of tradeoffs.  Some of the canvas ones have some sort of waxy sealant that gets on everything, not a lot of padding or weather resistance, etc.  Mostly a throwback to 80's photojournalists from reviews, but solid build quality.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Tenba dna11.  Just switched from FF to mirrorless and picked up the Tenba at the LCS.  Great quality shoulder bag in your price range.  Comes in several other sizes as well.

John
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a knock off of the maxpidition fat boy versicarry.   I got a photo bag padded insert from amazon.  It's my go every where camera bag set up.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#4]
@iroc409 I started to worry about the fate of the universe when I began reading your reply

I'll check out all 3 suggestions. Keep them coming!
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#5]
@texasjohn

Thanks for the recommendation. I went with the Tenba DNA15 in Olive. Outside my initial price range, but carries everything with room to grow. Lots of pockets too.

I like that its tall enough to house my D7500 with the 300mm lens still attached.

Magnetic latches are but I'm glad there is at least velcro as a backup.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 11:12:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I had that Domke bag. I didn't care for it and quit using it. It wasn't bad, it just was far less convenient, lazy pocket and interior design, and those metal clips while rugged aren't as useful as the plastic ones. The construction is very floppy.  Petrol used to make a really good bag before they were bought out, and now I use a couple Petrol and a Manfrotto bag. I have too much gear and I want dividers. Domke is perfect if you want a bigger shoulder bag that doesn't store much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top