Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2018 12:19:54 PM EDT
So it's one of those things in a "bucket list", the wife and I are headed to an Alaskan expedition which takes place on a small NatGeo/Lindblad boat.  We are told there will be "wet landings" off a Zodiac a few times on the trip.  We are water ready but I can't decide what photo equipment to leave at home.

We each have our own cameras so I will not be helped by a private "sherpa".   Here is the list I would like to whittle down, two of the lenses will be camera mounted during the travel.

16mm F1.4

23mm F2

25mm F2

16-55mm F2.8

35-200 F3.5 to 4.8 OIS

100-400 F4.5 to 5.6 OIS

Tripod and monopod or one of the two?

Should I bring "polarizer' filters?

Also, please if I am forgetting something....

I have sufficient batteries and cards as well as the ability to download daily to my computer.

IMG_1434 by Rob Este, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Heck, all of that stuff will fit in one backpack (except tripod/monopod).  I'd take it all; pods can be lashed to the pack.

My typical travel loadout is
1 wide angle (11-16/20)
1 prime (35mm)
1 midrange zoom (24-120)
1 long zoom (usually 70-300, though I have hauled the 150-600 on occaision).
1 tripod (travel, Monfrotto version)

Plus chargers, cables, card readers, blower, lens wipes, etc.  It all fits (except tripod) in a typical 3-day pack, with room to spare.

If it's a bucket list trip, why go without?
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 3:31:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heck, all of that stuff will fit in one backpack (except tripod/monopod).  I'd take it all; pods can be lashed to the pack.

My typical travel loadout is
1 wide angle (11-16/20)
1 prime (35mm)
1 midrange zoom (24-120)
1 long zoom (usually 70-300, though I have hauled the 150-600 on occaision).
1 tripod (travel, Monfrotto version)

Plus chargers, cables, card readers, blower, lens wipes, etc.  It all fits (except tripod) in a typical 3-day pack, with room to spare.

If it's a bucket list trip, why go without?
View Quote
I like your spirit!
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Fred has it pretty well nailed down. Living up here, I usually have a ultrawide-wide zoom lens, something mid range prime wise, and a 70-200mm, and 200-500mm lens. Plus a tripod, cards, etc.

That said, it also depends where you’re going.  Could make a few things vital to pack, and others less so. At bare minimum bring ziplock bags, some gaff tape, and silica packets  they’ll all fold small, but can save your bacon in a hurry. Possibly a small 3’ square visquine sheet as well for a diy rain cover for larger lenses.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#4]
When you say you're "water ready" what do you mean by that?
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#5]
You definitely want to bring the polarizers - anything around water, or anything that's wet from water can benefit from a polarizing filter.

Batteries.  Make sure you have more than you think you'll need.

Desiccant packs.  Those could be useful in those conditions.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 7:53:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Fred has it pretty well nailed down. Living up here, I usually have a ultrawide-wide zoom lens, something mid range prime wise, and a 70-200mm, and 200-500mm lens.
View Quote
Might I ask the advantages of a prime over zoom would be, please?
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't even think about leaving the tripod behind.

Hell, I recently brought a tripod with me on an ice climb.

Link Posted: 6/2/2018 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Might I ask the advantages of a prime over zoom would be, please?
View Quote
Aperture, and sharpness, and your average prime is lighter and more compact than your average zoom, so it doesn't eat into the weight/size budget very much.

Sometimes you just want that prime for bokeh, portraiture, etc.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I knew the great folks that populate this forum would come through.

I'll be leaving the 35mm only, and will take both pods. The 16mm 1.2f and 23mm f2 primes are too good to leave behind, even though they are covered by two other telephoto lenses. The backpack filled with all the (mirrorless) equipment weighs about 18 pounds less than when I traveled with my old full frame Canon system.

I have bought water protection stuff for the cameras and lenses, as well as polarizers for the 16-55 and the 35-200. The latter one also fits the big daddy 100-400mm f4.5-5.6, only question is will it make this lens too slow.

Here's to a bunch of dedicated photograpehrs

ps; "wet landings" means jumping into knee high water off a Zodiac unto the the shore.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't even think about leaving the tripod behind.

Hell, I recently brought a tripod with me on an ice climb.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203937/Pinnacle_8399B-499700.jpg
View Quote
Your reply and jpeg leaves me no alternative

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#12]
It’ll be slow for low light but my super tele is f/5.6 and works well up here. Just have to run a higher ISO in some conditions, but works well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top