Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2018 9:38:14 PM EDT
I have some stuff up on ebay right now.   3 lens and my D7000.   Getting rid of some stuff I no longer use.   Have GREAT ambitions of buying a D7500 or a D500.......but man, I really, really, REALLY like my D700 I picked up recently.   I like the picture quality, the heft of it, the build quality, and it seems to take tight pics, even when the ISO is boosted on it.

Buuuuuttttttt..............I don't have the right lens' for it.   Have a nice 70-200mm Tamron G2 f/2.8 (DX lens that I used on the D7000), but, is that really the right lens for the D700?    I'm thinking not.   Would my images be better quality if I had a G2 in FX format?    Or, are my images just going to be smaller with a DX lens?

So, back to  the drawing board for me.   I like just "plinking" around with the camera, but I'm really looking forward to high school football this fall, and am not sure my current G2 lens is the right lens for the job.

Now what do I do?    
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wasn't aware they made a G2 or any 70-200 in DX format for that matter.

Also, that D700 is getting old. About the only thing going for it is full frame vs dx perspective but even that isn't worth too much if you understand how to work your camera.

Edit: google seems to agree with me. Step away from the crack pipe.
View Quote
Step away from the crack pipe?    Really?    

I just assumed the G2 was made for DX and FX mounts.   So, "one size fits all" for this lens?   The lens works equally well on a D7000 (my previous body) as it does for the D700?
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, you want  A low mileage D3?  

The D700 is still a great camera if you don’t need high resolution shots.  I sold mine recently for $700 with the factory grip.  It was like new with less than 1000 exposures on it though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yep, it's a full frame lens, it'd be more correct to say it was designed for a full frame camera but will work just as well (occasionally even better!) on a crop camera.
View Quote
Maybe when I get home tomorrow I should actually look at what lens I have.    

For some reason, I thought I had a lens that was tailored specifically for the D7000 type camera and not a D700 type camera.

I really should have just stuck with my Pentax K100D.

Link Posted: 6/1/2018 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The D700 is still a great camera if you don’t need high resolution shots.  I sold mine recently for $700 with the factory grip.  It was like new with less than 1000 exposures on it though.
View Quote
My D700 has a lot more shutter uses on it.........like 75,000 or something like that.   It's still in nice shape, and only paid $375 for it, and, it came with a 35mm 1:2D lens, too for that price.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 10:54:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My D700 has a lot more shutter uses on it.........like 75,000 or something like that.   It's still in nice shape, and only paid $375 for it, and, it came with a 35mm 1:2D lens, too for that price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got a great deal on a great camera!
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The D700 is still a great camera if you don’t need high resolution shots.  
View Quote
This.

I had my D700 for 6 years.  A fine camera, even though it is getting a little long in the tooth.  The only reason I got rid of mine was because I bought a D850.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have some stuff up on ebay right now.   3 lens and my D7000.   Getting rid of some stuff I no longer use.   Have GREAT ambitions of buying a D7500 or a D500.......but man, I really, really, REALLY like my D700 I picked up recently.   I like the picture quality, the heft of it, the build quality, and it seems to take tight pics, even when the ISO is boosted on it.

Buuuuuttttttt..............I don't have the right lens' for it.   Have a nice 70-200mm Tamron G2 f/2.8 (DX lens that I used on the D7000), but, is that really the right lens for the D700?    I'm thinking not.   Would my images be better quality if I had a G2 in FX format?    Or, are my images just going to be smaller with a DX lens?

So, back to  the drawing board for me.   I like just "plinking" around with the camera, but I'm really looking forward to high school football this fall, and am not sure my current G2 lens is the right lens for the job.

Now what do I do?    
View Quote
Zack is correct.
He has a D500...and so do I. I got it to take pictures of my girls playing lacrosse. It is a devastatingly fast and capable camera
for shooting sports. It has the same autofocus system of the D5...but on a dx sensor so the focus areas go right to the edge of the frame.
It also goes to ISO 51200 natively, and I find shots at 12 to 15k are very good. It focuses FAST...accurately too.
 You should use Nikon glass for the fastest and most accurate focusing though. I use a 70-200 F2.8 VR2 and a 70-200 F4. The F4 lens
is great in full sunlight and the 2.8 lets me shoot when it is darker. The 2.8 is a heavy chunk, the F4 is much lighter.
 If you want to shoot sports try to get a D500. Read some reviews of it. It is absolutely amazing. It is much faster than my D7200 and
JPEGs out of the camera look great too! It also has a GIANT buffer.
If you want to focus on fine art landscapes or portraiture you might prefer a higher pixel count full frame body. But unless you buy a D5
it wont be nearly as fast for shooting sports. I only buy FF lenses and use them on my DX gear. That way vignetting and softness in the corners
of the frame is improved a lot. My Nikon 24-70 F2.8G is a good example of a lens that is quite a bit better on DX for this reason.

Only you can decide what you want to do with your camera! But if you want to shoot fast action I recommend the D500. I love mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top