Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2018 6:02:29 PM EDT
The local pawn shop has one in good shape for less than $200. Yes or no?
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#1]
It really depends on what you want to do with it?  You can pick up a starter kit camera for not much more, but will be a whole lot newer.  The D40 is ~11 years old at this point in time, so tech has gotten better by leaps and bounds.  A max ISO of 3200 is pretty rough unless you're shooting in good light all the time IMO.

Are you just trying to get into photography on a low budget or ?
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 12:59:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you just trying to get into photography on a low budget or ?
View Quote
Yes and no. Looking for something better than a cheap digital or cell phone camera. I thought a good older high-end camera would serve me better than either of those. I want something to keep in the truck for those everyday oddities I run across and something to document the grandkids activities. Being able to add a long lens is a major plus. Video is not anything I'm interested in. All I want is to take the pic and be able to download it to my PC.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:47:02 AM EDT
[#3]
In really nice shape for about $100, and I'd go for it. I have one that recently died when I let a kid use it on a canoe trip. IMO, it would be better to spend the extra money on a 50D or higher. The 40D only goes up to 1600 ISO, and the dynamic range is less than stellar. The noise isn't great by today's standards either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top