Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2018 8:22:17 PM EDT
Made a trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks over this past weekend, figured this was worth it's own post instead of trickling in images in the photo a day post like I normally do lol. I'll split the images into several replies to make it easier. The first set is of a Grizzly bear sow and her yearling cubs in the northern part of Grand Teton National Park. This was a tough scene as they were back off in the thick woods and I was constantly fighting to shoot through a bunch of limbs and branches. Mom was actually the hardest to capture, she stayed in the thicker brush and I only got a couple of uncluttered shots of her, luckily the cubs ended up in a clear spot and one really decided to strike a pose for me.

Grizzly Sow and Cub by Justin Springer, on Flickr
Grizzly Cub by Justin Springer, on Flickr

500_0043 by Justin Springer, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Next is a Black Bear sow and cubs located near Tower Junction in Northern Yellowstone. Luckily these guys were a little more in the open.

Black Bear sow and cub by Justin Springer, on Flickr
Black Bear Cub by Justin Springer, on Flickr
Black Bear Cub by Justin Springer, on Flickr
Black Bear sow by Justin Springer, on Flickr
Black Bear Cubs by Justin Springer, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Parts of the park still had a lot of snow. I found this Coyote near Canyon and she decided to try to show off her hunting skills, she failed to actually catch anything though lol.

Coyote by Justin Springer, on Flickr
Coyote Hunting by Justin Springer, on Flickr
Coyote Hunting by Justin Springer, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Some birds. First is a pair of Osprey on their nest in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, visible is their recently laid egg. Next are a couple shots of a Raven at Old Faithful and finally a random Sandhill Crane I found near Yellowstone Lake
Osprey Nest by Justin Springer, on Flickr
Common Raven by Justin Springer, on Flickr
Common Raven by Justin Springer, on Flickr
Sandhill Crane by Justin Springer, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Dang.  Jelly.

Fantastic shots.

Tell us a bit about you came by them;  distance back in the bush, distance to subjects, how'd you decide where ot set up, etc.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dang.  Jelly.

Fantastic shots.

Tell us a bit about you came by them;  distance back in the bush, distance to subjects, how'd you decide where ot set up, etc.
View Quote
I'll second this, OP.  Tell us a little more about them.  They are great shots!
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Those are some fantastic photos.  Great work for "just a weekend".

I'd be interested in seeing the 100% of the blackbird's eye.  Sometimes you have a pretty decent self portrait there.  Sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry for the delay, work/sleep had to be caught up on the rest of the week lol. The Grizzly sow and cubs were about 150 feet away just off a road in some fairly dense forest. Most of the cub shots were taken by shooting through a V formed by a couple aspen trees, you can see bits in the foreground of some of the shots. The second cub liked to hide quite a bit too but at least one decided it liked posing. The Black Bear sow and cubs were a bit further away but in a much more open area up above me on a hillside, of course both cubs would never move to the same side of the tree mom was on to get them all in one shot.

The Coyote was easy, in a huge open field of snow not 100 feet off the road. A couple times it started coming my direction and I had to get off the viewfinder to make sure exactly how far it actually was.

@L_JE The Raven was on the benches around the Old Faithful viewing area. I was about 9 feet away, there is a pretty good reflection in its eye but because of the overcast all you can really see are some benches and a human shape hunched over lol.

I'll add some more stuff over the next few days, still have lots of sorting and editing to do.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#8]
John Moulton Barn by Justin Springer, on Flickr

The only hard parts to this shot were waiting until people weren't walking through the frame and waiting on the clouds to move exposing the peaks.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry for the delay, work/sleep had to be caught up on the rest of the week lol. The Grizzly sow and cubs were about 150 feet away just off a road in some fairly dense forest. Most of the cub shots were taken by shooting through a V formed by a couple aspen trees, you can see bits in the foreground of some of the shots. The second cub liked to hide quite a bit too but at least one decided it liked posing. The Black Bear sow and cubs were a bit further away but in a much more open area up above me on a hillside, of course both cubs would never move to the same side of the tree mom was on to get them all in one shot.

The Coyote was easy, in a huge open field of snow not 100 feet off the road. A couple times it started coming my direction and I had to get off the viewfinder to make sure exactly how far it actually was.

@L_JE The Raven was on the benches around the Old Faithful viewing area. I was about 9 feet away, there is a pretty good reflection in its eye but because of the overcast all you can really see are some benches and a human shape hunched over lol.

I'll add some more stuff over the next few days, still have lots of sorting and editing to do.
View Quote
So you were driving around, saw the critters, and went from there?

I had this image of you spending 2 weeks back in the bush to get 15 shots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top