Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2018 9:15:46 PM EDT
I hate regular stock camera straps and have been looking at the Really Right Stuff Arca Swiss clamp with a built in QD socket for rifle sling QD's. Two issues I have with it are the price at $65 for the clamp and that I'm not a huge fan of securing my camera by one push button QD as I have seen them fail. Usually the failure is from not seating the QD all the way but no matter the cause it would suck to have a camera and lens hit the ground because you were in a hurry and didnt seat the swivel all the way.

So I started thinking and looking through my box of sling shit and camera shit then came up with something I'm pretty happy with. It uses a $14 arca swiss clamp, a beefy key ring and some Magpul parts. For mine I used a Blue Force Gear padded sling and added the Magpul Paraclip attachments along with the 2 into 1 thingy from an old MS2 sling. Just using a regular Magpul sling would work easier but I like the BFG padding and had a bunch of old MS2 slings around to cannibalize.

The thing I really like about the Magpul clips over QD swivels for this purpose is that they have a positive lock you can engage so even if the clip gets bumped it can't open. I set the sling up like you would a single point on a Magpul sling and carry the camera hanging at my waist on my left side or you can rotate the sling on your body and put it down the centerline of your chest. The key to it all is the keyring really. I used one off an Edelkrone keychain they were giving away at NAB. Anything thats solid enough will work. To pop the sling on and off you just attach the clamp to the plate on the camera and when you want to go back on sticks just take the clamp off and drop the camera on the clamp on the tripod.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 12:53:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a single point setup for my camera as well but did it a bit more simply. I have a neoprene camera strap and that's connected to one of those clicky hook carabiner looking things you find on laptop bags and things like that. The hook is just clipped onto the twist ring on the bottom of my arca plate for my camera. I *did* have to swap that out for a screw with a beefier twist ring. First one failed and sent the camera for a tumble.

I can get some pics later.
View Quote
Yeah I thought about doing that but none of the plates I own have a D ring I trust to hold the weight. The key rings I have used to adapt AI hook style sling mounts on a AE MKIII rifle to work with the Magpul clips. They worked with a 20 pound rifle so I figure they should be good on a camera.  My other cameras in cages have regular plates with on them so this is easy to put on any camera without buying new screws. This was all stuff I had in boxes.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd be leery about the setup in the OP.  Knobs just have a way of loosening up during use, and the knob looks well positioned to be rubbing up against your waist, kind of inviting that knob to start rotating.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 1:22:01 AM EDT
[#4]
found these on Amazon
seem to work OK

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 4:29:41 AM EDT
[#5]
They do work but for my needs it would mean if I want to go from strap to tripod/gimbal/slider I have to unscrew the loop adaptor then attach a plate and then reverse it when I go back on the strap.

The beauty of using the Arca Swiss system across all rigs is everything fits on everything quickly.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 4:31:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 4:33:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd be leery about the setup in the OP.  Knobs just have a way of loosening up during use, and the knob looks well positioned to be rubbing up against your waist, kind of inviting that knob to start rotating.
View Quote
Not so much. But to each their own.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top