Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2016 4:57:21 AM EDT
Clipped from my FB post today

+++++++++++++++++++++

Let me tell you about my equipment in case you are curious. if you are a photographer, you are always curious what other people are using.
I have put together a mobile speed light studio similar to what I was using in 2008 when I was working for a company out of Phoenix shooting children's and infant's portraits.
Lights:
1 - Vivitar 285 Variable power (If I am using multiple lights I use this for my fill light because I can reduce the power. If I am shooting single light this is the one I use. I think I paid 2$.99 at goodwill)
4- Vivitar 2800 Strobes (These are non variable but powerful. I use one of these for the main light and one for the background or hair light when using a multiple light setup. I paid between $2.99 and $3.99 for these online)
Modifiers:
2 - 33" White shoot thru umbrellas ($35 for both with stands and continuous lights)
1 - 43" Convertible Umbrella ($17 online)
1 - Medium Sized Bounce card/Reflector (Foam board from Dollar Store)
1 - 8" Octobox (octagonal softbox for events $10)
1 - 6"x9" Softbox (For events $10)
Other:
2 - STD Light stands
4 - Various tripods w/ adapters to use as light stands if needed ($20 total)
4 - Speedlight brackets for umbrellas ($20 total)
1 - Remote trigger
3 - Remote trigger receivers ($20 for the set. Neewer brand)
1 - Home made background stand
1 - Black background ($10 at Walmart)
1 - White Background ($13 online)
1 - Folding Table
1 - Portable music stands and clips to hold bounce cards
There might be a few other things in my kit but it all fits in a rolling luggage case, except for the table. I try to use as little as possible to get the results I want and this kit is basically double what I would usually need on a shoot, but I like to be versatile. With this kit I can run a Main light, use the bounce card as fill, light the background and run a hair/side light. I rarely use that much gear to get results that I love.
As far as cameras, I usually take both of my Nikons that way I have a back up in case batteries fail or something else happens.
Above all else, I don't care what anyone tells you, or what you see other photographers use, natural light trumps anything else for outstanding portraits. The human eye evolved with natural light and nothing else will really satisfy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top