Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2016 10:00:32 AM EDT
The wife has determined we need a camcorder. The budget hopefully will be 300$ Any recommendations? I haven't looked at a camcorder since VHS.  Any help is appreciated. Thanks

ETA: What about getting a large memory card for galaxy s7 and using that as camcorder?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The wife has determined we need a camcorder. The budget hopefully will be 300$ Any recommendations? I haven't looked at a camcorder since VHS.  Any help is appreciated. Thanks

ETA: What about getting a large memory card for galaxy s7 and using that as camcorder?
View Quote

You can use the S7 for video, but keep in mind the biggest draw to camcorders or video of any sort over cell phones is their zoom capability. (most of the time)  If you're video taping your kid's recital, you're going to want that zoom.  A cell phone isn't going to get anything but a bunch of dots and the backs of peoples' heads.  

If you think all you'll ever need is wide angle and close-up shots, then you're good to go.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks I will look into that one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I picked up this a few months ago for vacations and backpacking trips.

It weighs next to nothing(about the same as my iPhone 6s, shoots decent video in hd, it's not 4K but does a good job.

Sony
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I went with a cannon so I could use a microphone. If you look around right now you might find last year's model marked down. There are plenty of decent camcorders under $200 unless you want 4k.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:44:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Another option I was just looking at is the Canon EOS M line.  You can find used/refurb/gray market right now in your price range with a lens.  It has mediocre reviews for actual photo's but a lot of people like it for video.  Refurb Canon T5's are in your price range as well.  I just picked one up for $300 with lens.  I went this route because I want to make some video, but also wanted to get back into photography a bit.  Luckily I kept all my lenses.  But a DSLR seems to be the way to go for video right now.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for DSLR.

You can get a T2i, T3i and possibly a T4i for under $300 depending on where you look.  All versions are pretty much the same.  All shoot great video with lots of lens and mic options.

I use versions of the Rebel line in the filmmaking classes that I teach. They are more than adequate for personal use.

If you do get a DSLR,  also get a tripod, or even a shoulder rig if you want steady footage.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:32:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the options. I will look into them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top