Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2015 8:18:00 PM EDT
Don't get lazy like I did and fall behind in backing up your RAW and processed images!

Long story short, my PC crashed, I had to do a reset. I lost about three months of RAW aviation images from last year, along with countless edited images and artwork I created. Kinda feel sick in my stomach right now when I think of the hours of work......all lost.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Yikes !

So sorry to hear....
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:11:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Man, sorry to hear about that

I have an external backup drive that I copy to about once a month (need to do it more often).  I should really copy to 2 drives so I have a backup of the backup.

I also use Adobe Creative Cloud, so everything is backed up off-site.

Did you take the hard drive out?  Many times you can run software that can read much of the "lost" files.  My dad has done it for my sister and was able to recover 3/4ths of her images.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Man, sorry to hear about that

I have an external backup drive that I copy to about once a month (need to do it more often).  I should really copy to 2 drives so I have a backup of the backup.

I also use Adobe Creative Cloud, so everything is backed up off-site.

Did you take the hard drive out?  Many times you can run software that can read much of the "lost" files.  My dad has done it for my sister and was able to recover 3/4ths of her images.

View Quote

No, I didn't take the hard drive out. On my previous PC I did when it crashed, and use that HD now as one of my sources for back up storage.

I just got complacent with this PC and backing up my work. It has always ran great and never showed any signs of acting up. Then the other morning it simply quit on me.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:52:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Ouch!  Amazon prime allows you to back up unlimited Jpegs, Google allows a large amount of backed up files also.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ouch!  Amazon prime allows you to back up unlimited Jpegs, Google allows a large amount of backed up files also.
View Quote

Came here to post this. Amazon allows Raw files too so back them up as well.

Sorry though man, I've lost images before, thankfully only some cell phone snaps, but it still hurts. Makes you extra paranoid so that it doesn't happen again.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I hate it when that happens. I lost some pictures a few years ago, when my PC crashed.  I still have two PCs, but now use a MacPro for all my photo work.  I would never use the internet to backup my files.  Since storage is so cheap, I backup everything on two separate hard drives.  That gives me three complete copies of all my pictures, and other important stuff.

It only took one computer crash to convince me I needed to do something.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
 I would never use the internet to backup my files.  Since storage is so cheap, I backup everything on two separate hard drives.  That gives me three complete copies of all my pictures, and other important stuff.
View Quote

Internet isn't the primary backup it's just the offsite backup in the event of a fire, tornado, etc.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Internet isn't the primary backup it's just the offsite backup in the event of a fire, tornado, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would never use the internet to backup my files.  Since storage is so cheap, I backup everything on two separate hard drives.  That gives me three complete copies of all my pictures, and other important stuff.

Yup, don't forget theft.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I've thought about the off site backup thing, but I'm still not sure what the right answer is for me.  Even if I use the internet for pictures, there are other, more important (financial, personal, etc.) files that would also need to be backed up. Of course, that was always  a problem with paper documents, too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It only took one computer crash to convince me I needed to do something.  
View Quote

I had one crash a few years ago were I lost some files, nothing too devastating. That was enough though for me to utilize an old HD for back up, and purchase a dedicated HD for storage. Since last summer I've taken a break from photography and kinda let my normal procedure of backing up files fall behind. And of course my laziness bit me in the ass a bit.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah, I've thought about the off site backup thing, but I'm still not sure what the right answer is for me.  Even if I use the internet for pictures, there are other, more important (financial, personal, etc.) files that would also need to be backed up. Of course, that was always  a problem with paper documents, too.
View Quote

Truecrypt
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, a bit of good news......my other bad habit of not clearing my cameras memory card sort of paid off this time. Seems I still had images on there from my last airshow of the 2014 season! So I don't feel too bad now. And yes, after downloading those images off the camera, I went to my HD and made a back-up file!
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't keep any raw files on my PC, preventive measure in case the PC crashes, all are on external drive and I back up that drive too.  I don't trust cloud backups they'll snoop at your files, they have algorithms that scan them for kiddie p0rn, not that I have kiddie pr0n, but the fact that they scan them anyway irks me.  Their backup servers, their rules.

Then the online site can be hacked, remember the Fappening? If the photos has the GPS location stored in them then that's a security risk as well.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well, a bit of good news......my other bad habit of not clearing my cameras memory card sort of paid off this time. Seems I still had images on there from my last airshow of the 2014 season! So I don't feel too bad now. And yes, after downloading those images off the camera, I went to my HD and made a back-up file!
View Quote

Have you run a photo recovery program on your hard drive?
Free - I have used it.

https://www.piriform.com/recuva
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Free - I have used it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free - I have used it.

I'll check that out. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:05:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a time capsule at home and then I keep a 4TB G-Raid at work in the vault. I bring home once a month to update or sooner if I have an important project.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
... And yes, after downloading those images off the camera, I went to my HD and made a back-up file!
View Quote

If you use Lightroom to import your photos, it provides the option for copying the imported file to a backup location of your choice. This is handy for the very purpose you described.

I've been there with losing lots of valuable digital assets. In my case, I did have a regular backup scheduled to an external drive. Then the PC's power supply went Tango Uniform and fried every single bit of electronics connected to the computer - including the external drive. None of the data recovery shops I tried (3 of them) could recover the data.

On that day I learned the painful lesson of disconnected backups.

Also, be sure to look up the "3-2-1" backup strategy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top