Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2014 2:14:51 PM EDT
I am in the market for my first DSLR. The T3i was my first choice because it hit my price point. But B&H has a SL1 with 2 lenses for $600. From the reviews I have read the say it is basically a T5i in a smaller package.

Is the SL1 the right choice? I held one at the store the other day and didn't mind the size. Or is there something I am missing completely?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#1]
If you don't mind a camera being that small, you should be fine.  Based on the SL1 review at DPReview.com, and its side-by-side comparison, I would go with the SL1 for the newer tech based on these two choices.

Like computers, camera bodies come and go.  What you are buying into is a lens system.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#2]
How are the factory Canon lenses?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#3]
My advice is to go to a brick and mortar and hold/manipulate the DSLRs in your price range.  I handled nearly all the "entry" level DSLRs  and was able to ask the pertinent questions to a real person.  Try, if you can, to go to a real camera store, not BestBuy or Costco/Sams.

I ended up with the T3i for 2 reasons:  it felt best in my hands, and I have a really close friend that has 10s of thousands of dollars in Canon lenses.  I'll never own one of the L series telephoto lenses(the big white ones you see on the sidelines of football games) but I can borrow one whenever I need/want to

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#4]
We have 3 Canons. T3i, SL1, and a 70D.

The SL1 is the nicest of the Rebels, if you don't mind the size. It is very small, but my wife loves that camera. She keeps a 40mm pancake on it and it takes incredible pictures. It has a better processor, slightly faster frame rate, better viewfinder, and a touch screen. All in all, it is a better camera than the T3i. The only downsides to me were the small size and the lack of an articulating screen.

The T3i is now with my teenagers.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:58:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. I went to the local store and it handled it but all the batteries where dead

Coming from the point and shoot world it is a big camera to me haha. But holding the rest of the line I can see how much smaller it is. I do a lot of outdoor stuff and the size would be nice.

I did notice the lack of rotating screen which would be nice to flip it around and keep it protected from getting scratched. I am going to try and find a local photo shop and get some real hands on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top