Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2013 3:43:11 PM EDT
I was originally thinking of the T4i, but the 50D  seems like it is much higher quality. But then I'm liking the speed of the 7D if I decide to actually spend a bit more money.

Opinions?
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the 60d compared to the T4i because of the top display, and the fact that it balances better with pro style lenses.  Also consider the 6D. They are now heavily discounted.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The 6D's are $2000 !
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The 6D's are $2000 !

Ok, here's the breakdown.

The T2i, T3i, 60D and 7D pretty much all use the same sensor.  The T4i is about the same, but has some minor differences.

The Txi models are going to be your 'consumer' or 'entry level' models.  The 50D and 60D are the 'semi-pro' models and the 7D is a pro model.   ALL of them are capable of just about the same image quality given the same glass.  The 50D being older, I'm not that familiar with, but I think it's an older sensor.  The 60D has the 18MPix APS-C that is pretty much identical to the other ones mentioned here.  The 7D being professional has a better autofocus system (more AF points, all cross type) and has two CPUs.  It can shoot 8FPS for something like 24 frames in Large RAW, and if shooting JPEG, you can pretty much just hold the shutter indefinitely.  I had a 7D, it's a badass mamma-jamma.  It's GREAT for action as the AF system can track and continuously focus while shooting moving subjects.  

The 6D is a full frame camera.  Full frame being a sensor that is the same size as a frame of 35mm film.  All the aforementioned cameras are APS-C, which is a bit smaller.  What's the practical difference?  Well, full frame sensors can be better in lower light.  A larger sensor can have larger photosites and can gather more light.  High ISO shots will also generally be less noisy.  You cannot use EF-S lenses on a FF body, but you can use EF and EF-S lenses on an APS-C body.

If you think you'll shoot lots of action, look around for a used or refurb 7D, and then get some nice glass.  I had the 17-55 f/2.8 and a 70-200 f/4 L, and really didn't have much want or need to get anything else.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is a little background...

I had a T1i for 2 years I got from Canon as a refurb. It just randomly stopped turning on. I have the kit 18-55mm lens and a 70-200mm f/4 L lens. I like taking pictures at airshows but the T1i was very slow but one battery would last all day which is awesome. I think I would be perfectly happy with the 5.3 fps of the 60D.

I kind of want the T4i, but I've read the 60D is built better and I honestly dont want a $600 camera to stop working after 2 years like my T1i. For some reason the T4i is the same price if I get the 18-55mm lens or just the body only. And I would be getting the newer version of the 18-55mm. Not sure if its better or not though. Also the touch screen would be nice instead of having to scroll through the menus. I also would like to take video, but it seems that the two are equal, that is assuming I can tell the 60D to focus on one point like I could with my T1i. Obviously the whole "auto focus" on the T4i video setting is slow and useless.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing says your next camera will die after 2 years like your old one.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 3:31:27 AM EDT
[#6]
The 7d is not really considered a 'pro' body. The 1d series is. I would take a look at the 7d. Will have much better ergonomics then the rebel bodies. If you don't mind an older body look at a 1d mark iii. You  can get them for around 1k.

Nothing is wrong wit the rebels either, T4i is still a solid little camera. The 18-55 is ...what it is, a kit lens.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 3:48:56 AM EDT
[#7]
the rebels are purposely feature deleted making them not as useful for working photographers

they can be effective used but they are much more difficult to simultaneously adjust the shutter speed and aperture

if you have L glass, you deserve 2 scroll wheels
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 4:45:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The 6D's are $2000 !

$1789 right now... You have to add to cart to see the final price.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892349-REG/Canon_8035b002_EOS_6D_Digital_Camera.html
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 4:49:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 6D's are $2000 !

$1789 right now... You have to add to cart to see the final price.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892349-REG/Canon_8035b002_EOS_6D_Digital_Camera.html

While it would be awesome to get one of those, $1000 just for the body was pushing it already. I put up a can of surplus ammo on gunbroker and it looks like its going to sell for $500+ which is why the $1,000 bodies came within range. But If i were to buy anythgin @ $1700 right now it would be a nice new scope
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:44:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I just ordered a 7D from Adorama for $1,249.00 shipped. I am stepping up from a Rebel Xti and after all the reviews and research I did the 7D fit my all my needs.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just ordered a 7D from Adorama for $1,249.00 shipped. I am stepping up from a Rebel Xti and after all the reviews and research I did the 7D fit my all my needs.

You'll love it.  Keep an eye on the Magic Lantern project.  If they can get it working on the 7D, it will give you some additional control and options that are pretty handy.  I had it on my T2i, and really wish it worked when I had my 7D.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top