Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2010 11:21:57 PM EDT
update

Hey guys, OP here. I was wondering if anyone can fix the horizon on the photo like everyone is suggesting?  I through i had some editing software on my PC but it won't fix the problem.  I plan on buying photoshop, but I have just spent so much money on guns and hunting lately I would really like to put if off for a couple of months. I hope someone can help!!  The link at the bottom should take you to the original full res file of the pic.  

Thanks
Casey

DSC_0045 by azeyecap, on Flickr

original post

I have a gift card to get a picture printed on a 16"x20" canvas (worth about $100 im told).  I was wondering if anyone who knows about this stuff would be able to tell me which one of the bellow pictures would look the best on this type of canvas. Since this is free I don't want to think about it too much, the picture will probably just live in the garage or the reloading room.  These are all from a recent trip to yellowstone.

Thanks  

DSC_0301 by azeyecap, on Flickr

DSC_0390 by azeyecap, on Flickr

DSC_0828 by azeyecap, on Flickr

DSC_0620 by azeyecap, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:30:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd go with #1 or #4.

#2 the bear is kind of small so he "gets lost" in the image.
#3 is actually possible as well but technically the subject is too centered in the image.
#5 the clouds are too blown out and those areas will just have no ink so it will just be canvas.

besides, I just like #1 the best.  I think it's a really cool photo.

oh, and also just an FYI you can also get digital photos printed on aluminum as well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:39:18 AM EDT
[#2]
#1 gets my vote.

It would also look pretty good on a metallic finish paper.

For what it's worth, $100 is a little high for a 16 x 20 canvas print. I have a wide format print company and we sell that size for $19.20 on high quality canvas.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
#1 gets my vote.

It would also look pretty good on a metallic finish paper.

For what it's worth, $100 is a little high for a 16 x 20 canvas print. I have a wide format print company and we sell that size for $19.20 on high quality canvas.

That's good to know, if I ever have to buy one I'll shop around. I'm glad this one is free. Number one is my fav. too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Mpix is $37 for canvas on a stretched frame and around $90 for a gallery wrap on canvas.
http://www.mpix.com/Mounting.aspx
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:02:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Picture #1 is your clear winner, it has nice foreground detail.
Fix the horizon.
Also on #3 and maybe #4.

Crop #2 about 80% into a vertical.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Fix the horizon.
Also on #3 and maybe #4.

What do mean when you say fix the horizon?
thx

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:08:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fix the horizon.
Also on #3 and maybe #4.

What do mean when you say fix the horizon?
thx

Level the predominant horizontal line of the frame, usually where the sky meets the Earth.
Or water, which always finds it's own level naturally.
In #1 it's running steeply downhill to the right.
In # 3, slightly less so.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:34:33 AM EDT
[#8]
The horizon looks fine to me.  Look at the mountain range int he back.  The slope in the foreground looks "off" because it IS a downhill.   But if he makes that straight then the mountains in the back will be going uphill and that's going to look WAY off.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The horizon looks fine to me.  Look at the mountain range int he back.  The slope in the foreground looks "off" because it IS a downhill.   But if he makes that straight then the mountains in the back will be going uphill and that's going to look WAY off.

Are you suggesting that something that formed from a pool of water naturally slopes downhill?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:40:04 PM EDT
[#10]
The horizon on one is definitely tilted down from left to right.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#11]
What is the easiest tool for me to use to fix the horizon?  I have zero editing skills.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Throw up the grid in Pshop or use some kind of box or line tool in whatever editor you have to establish an artificial horizon.
Then rotate the frame to adjust the horizon. You will have to re-crop.

The best bet is to be aware of it while composing a shot.
If your camera/viewfinder doesn't have etched lines or some kind of grid composition feature
you can just reference the edge of the frame for either vertical or horizontal.
As always, perspective applies.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#13]
#1.

Good colors.

I had this one done as a gallery wrap and it looks awesome:

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey guys, OP here. I was wondering if anyone can fix the horizon on the photo like everyone is suggesting?  I through i had some editing software on my PC but it won't fix the problem.  I plan on buying photoshop, but I have just spent so much money on guns and hunting lately I would really like to put if off for a couple of months. I hope someone can help!!  The link at the bottom should take you to the original full res file of the pic.  

Thanks
Casey

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:36:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Here you go sir.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#16]
You're a lucky dog, OP.
You got two sets of professional camera eyes working for you.

Take a look at Bulldog's chop vs. the original.
See the big difference in the horizon?

That will look nice printed up now.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You're a lucky dog, OP.
You got two sets of professional camera eyes working for you.

Take a look at Bulldog's chop vs. the original.
See the big difference in the horizon?

That will look nice printed up now.

Wow!!

I guess it was all messed up. Arfcom comes through again. Thanks very much!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top