Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2009 5:49:29 PM EDT
By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpotPosted Jun 12, 2009 4:08 pm PTJanco Partners' Mike Hickey expects Infinity Ward's upcoming shooter to be the best-selling game of 2009.

In March, Activision revealed that Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare had sold 12 million copies after nearly 17 months on the market. If one analyst is right, it might not take very long for Modern Warfare 2 to beat that mark.

In a note to investors today, Janco Partners' Mike Hickey predicted that Modern Warfare 2 would sell through to consumers 11.1 million copies in less than two months. He says the game can achieve that mark with the help of a ramped-up preorder campaign courtesy of Activision, the more-than-doubled size of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 installed bases since the release of the original Modern Warfare, and the series' massive fan base.

"On May 26 2009, Infinity Ward's community manager Robert Bowling 'fourzerotwo' commented that Call of Duty 4 has over 13 million unique users on Xbox 360," Hickey explained. "A particularly impressive number considering an estimated 30 percent of Xbox's installed base is not connected to Xbox Live. On January 8, 2009, Bowling estimated that there were over 4 million unique online users on the PS3 platform and over 10 million on the Xbox 360. We assume the PS3 unique users have now eclipsed 5 million based on Xbox 360 identified online user growth of 30 percent."

That puts Hickey's estimated online Call of Duty 4 gamers at 18 million. Assume that 30 percent of Call of Duty fans don't take their systems online, and Hickey believes that the potential market for Modern Warfare 2 consists of a whopping 25.7 million gamers.

Putting it bluntly, Hickey said, "We believe Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will likely be the largest video game release for [calendar year] '09."

Modern Warfare 2 will release on the PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 November 10. For more on the title, check out GameSpot's latest hands-on impressions.

link

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Already got my copy reserved, looks awesome.  COD 4 is still very popular online more so than COD 5.  Infinity Ward knows how to make COD games.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in for a PC version
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm in for a PC version

me too  

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Reserved mine awhile ago.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:09:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Reserved the Collectors Edition even though they haven't said what comes with it yet.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm in for a PC version

me too  

Yep, I think there time around for MW i'm in for a PC version.

I'm not one for a controller when it comes to fps games.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Reserved the Collectors Edition even though they haven't said what comes with it yet.

When I reserved mine, the guy asked if I wanted to collectors edition. I asked him what the collectors edition came with. He said he didn't know, but COD4 CE came with a canteen. I got the normal one.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm in for a PC version

me too  

+1.  I enjoy playing on the PC so much more than my PS3
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I reserved mine, the guy asked if I wanted to collectors edition. I asked him what the collectors edition came with. He said he didn't know, but COD4 CE came with a canteen. I got the normal one.

The guy told me if I change my mind after finding out what it comes with I can always get a normal version, where if I wanted the collectors they only get a few copies of it on the release day.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:18:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What!?!

Which version did you preorder, PC or 360? All I got in my CoD4 ubershiny collectors edition was an art book, and a DVD about the SAS.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:43:41 AM EDT
[#11]
11.1 million in two months?

100% guaranteed it will reach and surpass 11.1 million, and 100% guaranteed it will not do it in two months.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#12]
There is a reason i bought activision stock... now i know why.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#13]

I already reserved and paid for my collectors' edition.

I may or may not have that week off from work.  

-p.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I already reserved and paid for my collectors' edition.

I may or may not have that week off from work.

-p.

Luckily FLU season is in full swing in November.

Hey, I'm just saying!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top