Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2008 10:29:58 AM EDT
I havent given it much time yet, maybe an hour. But I am not overwhelmed. Hopefully after a little more time, I will think it is as awesome as the reviews made it sound.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#1]
well that sucks.. $500+tax and your disappointed
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't enjoy it either. My friend was pretty far along, way to many cut scenes and not enough play time
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I didn't enjoy it either. My friend was pretty far along, way to many cut scenes and not enough play time

17 hours of gameplay is decent enough, plus the replay value.

and keep in mind that the MG series is story intense, so the production values of each game is high.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 1:17:20 AM EDT
[#4]
who in their right mind thought 45 minute cut scenes were a good idea?
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 1:37:06 AM EDT
[#5]
MGS has always been cut-scene and plot intensive.  You can skip them if you like, using the start button, but if you didn't know what you were getting into, I'm not sure why you'd complain about the game.  Weapon purchasing and customization, incidentally, opens up a few checkpoints into Act I.  If you're not there yet, you should probably play long enough to get there.

GTA 4 is also pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 12:18:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I heard that if you didn't go through and beat the other MGS's, the 4th one won't have as much meaning to you.

I guess all the others just ask more questions within the story and  MSG 4 finally answers most of those questions so there is a good amount of closure within the storyline.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I havent given it much time yet, maybe an hour. But I am not overwhelmed. Hopefully after a little more time, I will think it is as awesome as the reviews made it sound.

buy #1 #2 and #3 then start 4.  they all work on the ps3 and you'll fall in love with metal gear.

you can find a 3 pack of the first 3 games for like 40 bucks.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 1:06:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That's too bad...

on the bright side - you have a lot more action oriented games coming this fall - Mercenaries 2, Motorstorm2 and Reistance2...wow that's a lot of twos
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 7:04:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I have spent more time with it and realize it is a well made game. The only dislike that really sticks is the save system. Great game.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's too bad...

on the bright side - you have a lot more action oriented games coming this fall - Mercenaries 2, Motorstorm2 and Reistance2...wow that's a lot of twos

i have only 4s

COD-4
GTA-4
MGS-4

give MGS4 some more time, it gets better...give it a chance
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Man, and I thought this one was difficult.

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought it was fantastic... best 7th gen game I've played so far. If you're looking for a mindless shooter, you're definitely gonna be disappointed. I love games that tell and intricate story, though, and MGS 4 delivers that in spades. Plus there is NO other game that mixes combat and stealth in the awesome way the Metal Gear series does.

I would definitely say some enjoyment will be missed if you're unfamiliar with the series, though... if you haven't played them, grab the Metal Gear Essential Collection. If you have the 80GB bundle and thus PS2 compatibility, definitely get it. It's all of like $30, contains the director's cut enhanced versions of all three previous games, and the story will mean a hell of a lot more.

It's like starting the Lord of the Rings movies with Return of the King. You can enjoy it, but you won't get nearly as much out of it as you would have if you'd watched Fellowship and Two Towers first.

Also, try Metal Gear Online. If you like playing shooters online but you're sick to death of all the run-n-gun and grenade spamming of COD 4/Battlefield/what have you, MGO is a massive breath of fresh air.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:46:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
who in their right mind thought 45 minute cut scenes were a good idea?

that's the anime generation for ya . . .
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#14]
You can skip them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I've decided that Hideo Kojima is a sadist.  If you try MGS4 on hardest difficulty, you'll see what I mean.  A pity because I give the game a rating of 3 out of 5 now.

ETA: I also find it interesting that the more G shock you expose the controller to during the continue screen, the more likely you get the "exist" easter egg.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:59:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

No shit.  I played MGS3 on PS2, and felt like I was watching a movie more so than playing a game.  Glad I only rented it.

I'm not a mindless-shooter guy, but I believe there has to be a balance between story and action.  IMHO MGS3 didn't have that, and I didn't expect that imbalance to be addressed in MGS4.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I finally finished the Boss Extreme difficulty.  Unless you're truly glutting for punishment, I'd actually recommend people to not try for it - you'll like the game much, much less when it's all said and done.  If you're curious about the unlocks for that level, just find a save game file online and load it up.  You'll save a lot of frustration.  I still rate this game 3 out of 5.  Now I have to buy a new DS3 controller; I think I broke mine in the process.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top