Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2006 9:13:57 PM EDT
I'm a little hazy on the Federal Law as it pertains to the orange tips required on Airsoft models.

MFIAP.COM states:

"All airsoft guns in the USA are required by Federal Law to have the orange tip." and in several places notes that it is a felony violation to paint over or otherwise cover the orange tips.

It also states:

"Note: The law is very clear that an owner may possess an unmarked DOC airsoft or replica but, you may not (nor anyone): manufacture, transport (ship it or receive it ) or enter into commerce ( buy, sell or advertise ) without this attached approved marking. Therefore if you remove the mark you can not resell or move the product via any form a transit. See Regulation below:

[57 FR 48453, Oct. 26, 1992]

Sec. 1150.2 Prohibitions.

"No person shall manufacture, enter into commerce, ship, transport, or receive any toy, look-alike, or imitation firearm ("device'') covered by this part as set forth in Sec. 1150.1 of this part unless such device contains, or has affixed to it, one of the markings set forth in Sec. 1150.3 of this part, or unless this prohibition has been waived by Sec. 1150.4 of this part." "

It SEEMS clear enough but I want to be absolutely sure before breaking out the Krylon. So, as an owner with no intention of reselling is it safe to repaint the tips or not?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:22:43 AM EDT
[#1]
AFAIK owning it is fine.

Selling it wihtout is a no no.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:39:20 AM EDT
[#2]
The orange tip is required for importation.  Once its here, Krylon away.

Although, here are a couple of tips.  Don't wave one around in front of a police officer
And 2, don't read or buy anything from MFI.  They charge way too much, and take advantange of new people trying to get into airsoft because they don't know any better.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#3]
mfi is full of something.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I'm new to the Airsoft thing -- I just wanted a SIG 552 for display -- and the where the supplied "instructions" weren't outright backward (as far as the QAE sight mounting) they were far from informative even as to general operation. For instance, I had no idea what "hop up" was so I did a Google search on Airsoft Hop Up and the MFI site was at the top of the results. I will take their info with the required grain of salt.

Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have to give MFI props for being one of the first importers around, but I wouldn't buy anything from them today - their prices are stuck in 1995, and they just can't seem to understand that their exclusivity is gone.  

If you want to get some good starter Airsoft info try www.airsoftplayers.com
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Wonder how long it will be before someone sprays the barrel of their actual firearm orange to make it look like an airsoft so they can get it somewhere for nefarious deeds...

Paging Tom Clancy...
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Wonder how long it will be before someone sprays the barrel of their actual firearm orange to make it look like an airsoft so they can get it somewhere for nefarious deeds...

Paging Tom Clancy...

Seized in the 1990s in California.  Full-functional Hascall .45 semi-auto.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn, guess I'll stop work on the manuscript.

Do you know the story involved?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#9]
MFI is a bullshit retailer and has been for years...

hes so full of himself and thinks he knows everything, dont believe a word he says and dont buy from him.

the way the orange tip is treated is, it must be sold with one(due to the fact its a toy). what you do it is up to you.   but in some areas, having an airsoft gun without the tip outside is the same as having a real gun(so if theres an ordinance in your area against walkin around in public with firearms out in the open. an airsoftgun may be considered a real gun by law.  

use common sense with it... if you remove the orange remember you have a replica firarm(by legal deff. in some areas, not all) be smart with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top