Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 10:10:42 PM EDT
I quit back in Octoer, but then played again for about a month using someone elses account so it was free.  That time I quit it and am making sure not to try it again.  Ended up being fustrating and not enjoyable.  I know several people mostly at work who want me to start back.  Would be an ok game if you didnt have to deal with people
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:57:52 PM EDT
[#1]
The problem with all MMORPGs is that people aren't any different online then they are offline. In other words, they suck. I heard early complaints from WoW from hardcore gamer friends, and never even bothered. I'm an old Asheron's player from way back with them, and trust them.

Personally, I'm waiting for the LOTR MMORPG that's coming out, because I'm a fanboy like that.

I'm hoping it will be great, and such, but deep down I know people will ruin it. Because I hate them. Hopefully the world will be big enough to avoid people mostly. You could do that sometimes in AC.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#2]
im just waiting for oblivion,
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The problem with all MMORPGs is that people aren't any different online then they are offline. In other words, they suck. I heard early complaints from WoW from hardcore gamer friends, and never even bothered. I'm an old Asheron's player from way back with them, and trust them.

Personally, I'm waiting for the LOTR MMORPG that's coming out, because I'm a fanboy like that.

I'm hoping it will be great, and such, but deep down I know people will ruin it. Because I hate them. Hopefully the world will be big enough to avoid people mostly. You could do that sometimes in AC.

Thats what I did in WoW was do alot of stuff alone.

Way too many people on there dont have a sense of humor
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:29:49 AM EDT
[#4]
A month after i made 60 with my rogue, it got boring real fast.  I'm playing RFO atm, interesting new system but same old grind like in L2.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:04:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Old AC player here also, just close my acc. this week(7 years of AC). Tried WOW for a month, didn't do anything for me. All the quest felt the same, and the land mass was so small.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I never got into WoW but I was a slave to Everquest aka Evercrack for 4 years.  It's basically the same thing as WoW.  I recently purchased D&D online, which came out today.  I havent decided if I want to open it yet....GOD help me if I get sucked into another one of these MMORPG's

It's fucking digital crack....and honestly I cant figure why I was soo hooked for 4 years.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I never started World of Warcraft.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#8]

I've got my money on LOTR. Turbine did a great job with Asheron's Call back in the day, unitl MS came in and they started AC2. I quit AC after it seemed like good devs left for AC2, and a buddy of mine called me over to his dorm to check out a new dungeon they'd put in AC. It was named something like "Desert Dungeon (FIX ME!!!!)". *sigh*

Of course I never bothered with AC2. Buddy of mine did, and it seemed like Microsoft went and took a good thing, rushed it into the world, and totally fucked it. Thus ended my involvement with MMORPGs.

The part that worries me about LOTR is that there's gonna be no dedicated RPG server. Not that I'm really into the whole dedicated RPG thing, but at least when I did interact with other people I didn't have some idiot yelling about "phat lewtz" or some nonsense. Also RPG servers typically have the lowest populations. The fewer the people, the fewer the idiots. I'm also hoping that with WOW, DDO, EQ out, people will stay there. More competition also means fewer people.

Man, I hate people in online games. So hard to find decent human beings.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It's fucking digital crack....and honestly I cant figure why I was soo hooked for 4 years.

It gave me something to do and build up, thats what it was.  When I didnt do that anymore I quit
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:15:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I've quit a total of 5 times now
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I played it for a few months, too repetitive for my taste, too much lag, hard to get onto servers sometimes, and too many kids that have no lives on there.

Not worth the $15/mo

I don't really play many games anymore unless something uber great comes out.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I refuse to pay a monthly fee, on top of the $50 to buy the game, to play a game
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm an old Asheron's player from way back with them, and trust them.

I was a beta tester for AC years ago. All I had to do was fill out an online form and I got to play for 4 months or so, free.

It was a great game then, but for some reason I never bought it when it was officially released.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#14]
im an mmorpg  nerd, so no, still playing, 3 accounts.  thinking of starting up DD:online too.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#16]

I get upset when they drop the ball, which does happen too often for my tastes.

Yes, but you have to admit SOE did A HELL OF ALOT better job at fixing things than EA/DICE could ever dream of.h.gif
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I get upset when they drop the ball, which does happen too often for my tastes.

Yes, but you have to admit SOE did A HELL OF ALOT better job at fixing things than EA/DICE could ever dream of.

Well thats what happens when you hire 12 year olds to do the work, I figured EA would have learned by now. I remember back in the Day when people said EA sucked. Then it became EA is great! Then once again EA began to suck again. They will never learn.

Nathan
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I refuse to pay a monthly fee, on top of the $50 to buy the game, to play a game

Well if the game resided on your machine and did not involve the interaction of thousands of others on severs run by SOE and included constant patches and and updates and new content... I might agree.  I don;t have a problem paying the monthly fee as long as SOE upholds their end of the agreement and keeps Evercrack2 running properly.  I get upset when they drop the ball, which does happen too often for my tastes.

NWN has some persistant worlds. True they aren't as large as evercrack, sw, wow, etc. but to me they're just as fun and there's a better sense of community on them
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I play WoW in order to be able to talk to my 2 sons, one in college and one living up north with his momma. We quest together now and then. Its a little odd, but a modern and convenient way to talk to them mid-week when they aren't at my house.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#21]
i was as addicted as you can get to WoW. after a while i played it so much that i completely lost interest. i would play and play and get no pleasure out of it. now im into Far Cry and Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. damn good games. Ninja gaiden for XBox<---one of the best games ever, as well as Return to Castle Woofenstein, Rallisport Challenge 2, Jak and daxter + Jak I&II, Psi Ops is pretty cool but others may disagree, Crimson Skies and some others. I have the Black Demo and although there's only part of one level, i absolutely love shooting at ANYTHING and watching it break, splinter, explode, fly, fall, crumble and die. the sounds are excellent and bullet holes are pretty. my only complaint is the smoke. some people actually like to see what they're shooting at, and they like seeing it break.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm scared to get into WoW because of my devastating addiction to Diablo and Diablo 2.

Diablo 2 was a main reason I failed one semester of school.  Never really recovered GPA-wise, although I'm not unhappy with my situation in life now.  Looking back, what a total waste of my time in the dorms.  Should of just been looking for pie.  Although that might have done the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Be glad you didn't play everquest for 4 years hardcore. That fucks up your life pretty bad
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm not accusing you, but in HALO Race, the tkers, team naders, campers and general idiots all say this.  You tell them to stop team nading you and they say you take the game too serious.

Quoted:
Way too many people on there dont have a sense of humor

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#27]
[Fossils of War] on Shattered Hand.  25yr old + guild.  very cool.

We just downed Nef last night
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Friend just quit, said it had ruined his life
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#29]
EQ was a big part of my failing college and losign a scholarship.  Not the REASON, mind you, but its was what I was doing instead of going to class.  I ended up with... 15 65's before I quit :(  I owned a server's economy pretty much, and made decent real life moneys doing it.  I would never do it again.

I've been playing WoW since October.  I have a 46 hunter, 25 priest, 19 rogue, and i'm happy liek that.  i play maybe 2 hours a day, when i get home, and most of that time is spent LFG in a city, talking to friends.  I coudl be playing the whoel time, WoW isn't a game where you have to LFG all day, but I just prefer to sit and talk to my friends instead.  I average 10-12 played hours per level, compared to 2-4 if i push it.  Its about having fun now.

MMORPGs aren't evil, jsut some people that play them are emotionally weak.  They use it as a crutch to get out of real life.  That just doesn't work.  I grew up -- some of them never will :(
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top