Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 3:05:27 AM EDT
Check out Babylon 5: "I've Found Her": HERE

By newtonian physics, it means that in space you can apply a certain amount of thrust then disengage the propulsion device and still allow your craft to travel in the previous direction. You can then spin around and etc... sort of like the Vipers on Battlestar Galactica / Space Above and Beyond / and any other sci-fi show that applies Newtonian physics in space (Star Wars is not one of them, nor is Star Trek IIRC). Best example of this would be in the episode of the new BSG Season 2 where they blow up the resurrection ship. Remember how the Vipers were just "strafing" the ship while flying sideways? Same effect here.

I've only tried the training mission with the Fury (I've never watched a single episode of Babylon 5, but I'm into sci-fi stuff) and it's seems reminescent of Mantis (from the early 90s PC game) but with much much better graphics and cool thruster effects. Whenever you do a roll, yaw, or pitch manuever, you can hear the thrusters firing

So if you're a sci-fi geek and have a decent PC with a joystick, try it out (it's free!)
If you're not into the inertial flight mode (where you can do the above stunts), you can use the default mode where you move in the direction of the crosshairs. You can strafe up/down, left/right, reverse thrust, etc... like Descent but physics actually applies in this case.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:01:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow ok dogfighting is kind of weird. Your guns overheat very quickly and the missiles only fire when you have a lock (no dumbfire missiles).

BSG and SAAB make it look easier than it is.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:09:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Freelancer (from Microsoft, seemed like an arcade-ish remake of Privateer, I think Starlancer had it too and was more of a sim, but I never played it) had that same effect. Disengage your engines and you could flip around and do all sorts of stuff.

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top