Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2006 9:10:13 AM EDT
I have been having all sorts of problems with bf2 lately.  slow loading, bad fps.    so today i started doing some tinkering.  its what im good at.

my system

P4 2.6 HT
1Gb ram
160 SATA seagate HD
ati X850pro
sound blaster audigy

it would take it about 1.5 minutes to load a map.  once i got in it was still extremley choppy.  
so i changed drivers.  this that and more.

so i went into the bios turned HT (hyper threading)  off and  it fixed all the problems i was having

i have been able to turn graphics on high.   1024X768 75hz  and the game runs 10X better than it did before.

I don't know if this will help others, but  I just thought i would share.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#1]
What does hyper threading do? Would it negatively affect other aspects on a computer?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#2]
from intel's web site

Greater performance with Hyper-Threading Technology (HT Technology)†
Hyper-threading enables multi-threaded software applications to execute two software threads in parallel, thereby improving system responsiveness. Intel Pentium 4 Processors enabled with HT Technology deliver performance and multitasking gains that result in increased productivity and efficiency.

obviously it doesn't work well with my computer and BF2
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#3]
On a similar note, I've recently began getting random black dots/lines/slashes/etc... across my screen when playing.  Kinda of like static
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#4]
EAX started sounding choppy for me recently, with skips in the sound, and sometimes the sound would even go away entirely.  Using an Audigy2ZS.  Always worked great before, now I gotta run the sound in software mode.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#5]
a lot of games are having dual core CPU/HT issues.  I can't even play BattleFRONT II until they address that with a patch.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I am using a HT P4 and haven't had any problems with it yet.

-d
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

-d

when i ordered my processor.   i was told by our sales rep.  that alot of the p4 HT processor were recalled at that time.  they were having all kinds of issues.   I think im gonna check on it.   I don't have problems with ANY other game though.    
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-d

when i ordered my processor.   i was told by our sales rep.  that alot of the p4 HT processor were recalled at that time.  they were having all kinds of issues.   I think im gonna check on it.   I don't have problems with ANY other game though.    

Weird. Might be able to look up by serial number if your processor was affected or not.

-d
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Well that fixed the problem for only a couple days.    Its still was taking 1.5 minues to load each map.  so i started taking the system down to the bare minimun.  and it starting to run good again.   I started using the onboard sound(i took my audigy card out of the system).   started to run flawlessly again.     So i changed some video and audio settings.   runs excellent.  

so i put the audigy card back in uninstalled the old onboard sound card drivers.  disabled it in the bios.   put the audigy card back in.   went to creatives web site.   they have a new all in one driver pack for the audigy cards.  downloaded installed and system runs great again.

with hyper threading enabled                

well see
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:47:51 AM EDT
[#10]
learned something new last saturday.    since all the problems i've rebuilt somewhat my gaming sytem.  its now  amd 64 3k+ 1.5gb og 3200 ram.   same 160gb hd i was using on old system.  

what i found was when i put the hd which is SATA II  in the amd board.  it would not recognize it.  so i tried differnt power cables data cables. etc.  checked asus web site.    the drive had to have a jumper set so it would run at the slower speed.   then the bios recognized the harddrive.

pic  

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:11:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
learned something new last saturday.    since all the problems i've rebuilt somewhat my gaming sytem.  its now  amd 64 3k+ 1.5gb og 3200 ram.   same 160gb hd i was using on old system.  

what i found was when i put the hd which is SATA II  in the amd board.  it would not recognize it.  so i tried differnt power cables data cables. etc.  checked asus web site.    the drive had to have a jumper set so it would run at the slower speed.   then the bios recognized the harddrive.

pic  

eservice.asus.com.tw/eService/eService/sShowImage?id=2701F408-AEBA-815B-E802-3D3519808FF6.jpg

There goes my faith in your tech fu!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:07:11 AM EDT
[#12]

i lern me sumthin every day werkin on dem 'puters  
im just sharing so no one else has that problem .  thats what i get  for buying a giga-byte intel board  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

pic  

eservice.asus.com.tw/eService/eService/sShowImage?id=2701F408-AEBA-815B-E802-3D3519808FF6.jpg

had to do that with my new WD 250 SATA2 drive.. my board only supports SATA150. Still works nice.. but not as fast as it could.

-d
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#14]
what makes me mad is that the giga-byte boards was using the harddrive.  but was runinng ALOT slower than what it was suppost to.  

when attempted to install the drive in the asus board it would not work at all.  meaning it didn't identify the drive in the bios.   untill i changed that jumper.  i'd never run into that.     i will have to remember that from now on.  because all our seagate drives that we carry are the newer drives.   if a customer brings in a older sata system.   we need to change that jumper.  
the crap i have to go through every day
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

i lern me sumthin every day werkin on dem 'puters  
im just sharing so no one else has that problem .  thats what i get  for buying a giga-byte intel board  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top