Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2006 11:37:05 AM EDT
I was looking for a new computer game to play and I happened to look in this section and notice that there are a number of members who play this game.

I would love to pick up an online game where there already was an established community of players that I could join, so I am really intrigued about the possibility of starting Battlefield 2.

However, I had a couple of questions before I laid my money down for the game.

1.  With online play, are there still a number of players who are still learning the ropes of the game or is the online play pretty much limited to the people who have been playing this game for awhile?

2.  Are the people on the servers generally friendly to new players or are they just ignored?

3.  How hard is the game to pick up?

4.  How hard is it to find games?

5.  How useful is the single player version of the game in learning the ropes?

6.  Is there anything else that you think is important for me to know that I have not already mentioned?  

Thanks, and I look forward to your responses.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was looking for a new computer game to play and I happened to look in this section and notice that there are a number of members who play this game.

I would love to pick up an online game where there already was an established community of players that I could join, so I am really intrigued about the possibility of starting Battlefield 2.

1.  With online play, are there still a number of players who are still learning the ropes of the game or is the online play pretty much limited to the people who have been playing this game for awhile?

there are new people starting all the time.

2.  Are the people on the servers generally friendly to new players or are they just ignored?

if you get on our server and have any questions any of the ar15 ers would be happy to help. genrally most peolple on other servers are ok too but there are some ****wads out there.

takes a little practice but can actually be picked up pretty quick

real easy there are about 3000-4000 servers ranked to choose from

really helps a good bit to learn basic tactics and to try out flying and driving

6.  Is there anything else that you think is important for me to know that I have not already mentioned?  

if you decide you'd like to make a go at it first off welcome!!  second i recommend you invest in a zboard with the battlefield two config on it makes it much easy to learn the keystrokes for weapons driving and combat manuevers and if you intend to fly well or alot invest in a good joystick  but if you dont want to spend that much you can key bind the game and build to suit on your own keyboard and you can also fly with a mouse and keyboard!!  and thats my .02
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Thanks, and I look forward to your responses.

1.  Yes, there are still new players starting BF2.
2.  For the most part people who have been playing awhile are helpful to newer players.
3.  It's not too hard to learn pretty quickly. It can take some time to become good at flying though.
4.  Very easy to find games online.
5.  Single player definitely can help to get the basic movements and feel for the game down.
6.  There is an AR15.com server that members here frequent and we would be glad to help you out if you are online.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Well you will have chosen well if you pick up BF2.

If you have ever played any Rainbow Six, Operation Flashpoint, Unreal, etc.. then the controls are pretty similar. You should be able to adjust to the controls in a matter of seconds.

We get a lot of new ARF.comers starting on BF2 all the time. Playing with the group will improve your gameplay much faster than if you were on your own. You will pick up a lot of combat tips from the verterans and we'll help you out.

You can practice via single play with the bots to learn the basics. Playing at the Medium difficulty will give you an easy taste of what online play is like against noobs. Playing at the most difficult settings will give you a taste of the above average players online. The bots aren't as cunning, unpredictable or smart as real players, but it will prepare you for online play.

Just as well join us online and just hang around with a squad leader and you'll learn the ropes much faster.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the new addiction.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I see lots of new players.
Can depend on the server, but if you jump in our server and get on Team Speak we would be glad to show you the ropes.
Pretty easy, especially if you have played other First Person Shooters.  It's an infantry based game so at the minimum you can just run around shooting bad guys, then later get into driving/flying vehicles.
There are more servers than you really need.
Good for learning the basics.
Get the game and come play with us.  We have a lot of fun, especially when 15-20 of us get in the same game.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:08:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I forgot to ask this:  I have a laptop (I know that it meets all of the minimum tech specs and in many cases, it meets the recommended tech specs).  Would it be diffcult/impossible to play the game on the laptop?  Is there anyone that does this?

I have a keyboard and mouse that I can hook up with the USB ports, but I don't have them with me at the moment, and I was planning on picking it up tonight while I am in town.  Also, I don't always have these things with me, so I am still interested in knowing the answer to this question.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:39:21 AM EDT
[#7]
OOps, I have another quick question.  I just looked at the tech specs again, and I am not sure if my video card is good enough to run this game.  What is a way to check the stats of the video card?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Download the demo and see if it works is the best way.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
OOps, I have another quick question.  I just looked at the tech specs again, and I am not sure if my video card is good enough to run this game.  What is a way to check the stats of the video card?

Go to Start>run>type "DXDIAG" then OK>under the "display" tab you will find your Vid card info. But like Kharn said your best bet is to just give the DEMO a test drive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top