Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 9:24:19 PM EDT
Can you tell the difference between a 2000dpi optical mouse and a regular 600 dpi optical mouse when gaming?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh hell yes.

I can tell a difference between my 1600 dpi Razer Diamondback and my 2000 dpi Razer Copperhead.  A jump as big as you are talking about will be huge as far as sensitivity goes.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#2]
damn, I guess I gotta shell out $60 bucks for a new mouse then

thanks!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

thanks!

I highly reccomend the Razer Copperhead.  I dont know what you are looking at, but that mouse is awesome, and just recently came out.

Adjustable on-the-fly sensitivity too.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks!

I highly reccomend the Razer Copperhead.  I dont know what you are looking at, but that mouse is awesome, and just recently came out.

yea thats the one, lol
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Definitely...you can tell the diference.

I use a Logitech MX518, I can change the resolution on the fly (buttons on mouse). I tend to like the shape of the Logitech, they fit my hand better and are more comfy for my hand. It's shaped for a right handed users, instead of a universal (symetrical) mouse for lefties & righties.

I considered the Razor brand mouses, but I didn't care for the shape & feel. A very good mouse, but too flat for me.

Go to a CompUSA or BestBuy and check out all the mice, to see what your comfortable with.

Pay attention to the claims of the number of buttons. Some have many side buttons on both sides, but the ones on the sides are repeats of the opposite side for lefties & righties, so they can be mis-leading on the number of buttons.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:58:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Only reason I'm tempted to get another mouse is to get a 4 button mouse so I can key 2 more functions onto it.

As it stands now I use a microsoft LED mouse, does me justice for most all things gaming.    I certainly don't fret over it's sensitivity.

But extra mouse buttons, I could get into those very quickly for keying to secondary kit items.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks!

Same here Razer mice rock!

I have the side buttoned configured for night vision for BF2 SF, works out great!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#9]
well I got the Logitech g5 coming in the mail. I got that one because the shape fits me better.

thx all, i'll post in here and tell you how I like it
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
well I got the Logitech g5 coming in the mail. I got that one because the shape fits me better.

thx all, i'll post in here and tell you how I like it

I prefer the Logitec mouse feel over the Razor.

Im using a 518 now, when a wear it out I will go to the G5
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#11]
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826104178

i got that one and love it. well worth the $$$
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I find that shape and weight are most important to me.   I prefer to use a ms 5 button explorer mouse.  Best to use a mouse that feels comfortable and that you can move quickly and with precision even if it is cheap.  Expensive 'gamer' gear will seldom make you a better gamer or instantly enhance your skills.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I find that shape and weight are most important to me.   I prefer to use a ms 5 button explorer mouse.  Best to use a mouse that feels comfortable and that you can move quickly and with precision even if it is cheap.  Expensive 'gamer' gear will seldom make you a better gamer or instantly enhance your skills.

But a high-end, high DPI mouse most defintately will.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But a high-end, high DPI mouse most defintately will.

+1
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

if you play BF2 youll find that it helps out loads with armor, instead of moving the mouse 6 in to get a turret turned it only takes a small flick of the wrist, or if you sniping and you just cant seem to get the cross hairs on that guys head you lower you dpi and have better controll. i thought the same thing now i cant stand a normal dpi mouse, it feels like a slug for me.

but to each his own.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to be the biggest FPS gaming loser ever.  Now I'm just the biggest ARFcomI used to be the biggest FPS gaming loser ever.  Now I'm just the biggest ARFcom posting loser ever, but that's beside the point.

I played games constantly and I thought I could, but when my normal mouse finally died, I used an old Microsoft Mouse that was rated for much lower resolution, and I couldn't tell the difference.  I say no.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Going back to a standard LED mouse after using a high resolution mouse is a HUGE differeance and a pain in the ass.

On the fly mouse resolution change is cool. You can move around on screen a lot by barely moving the mouse. Your quicker and faster. Then you can tap to med/low res to get the high precission head shot with the sniper rifle.

I know you can change mouse sensativity in the game control screens, but not every control is in there to adjust the sensativity.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826104178

i got that one and love it. well worth the $$$

+1  Great gaming mouse!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:42:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Logitech G5 mini-Review

Well, I got my Logitech G5. So far after several hours of BF2 I have finally gotten used to the mouse. It is very sensitive. This mouse doesnt play around. I really like the on the fly speed adjustment on the mouse. if you want to run and gun..put it on fast, if you want to snipe put it on medium or low. The accuracy has improved my game immensly. I used to be in the top 5 all the time, now im in the top 3 about 90% of the time. Basically, it has improved my game two fold. And it is comfortable and has a nice thumb shelf. It also came with about 10 or so little metal weights that attach to the mouse, apparently you can make it heavy for some reason I dont know. I like it without the weights, so I can move the mouse faster. If anyone knows  a reason for the weights, let me know becaause ive found them unnessesary.

Please excuse any spelling errors...Ive had a few drinks
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:52:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Logitech G5 mini-Review

Well, I got my Logitech G5. So far after several hours of BF2 I have finally gotten used to the mouse. It is very sensitive. This mouse doesnt play around. I really like the on the fly speed adjustment on the mouse. if you want to run and gun..put it on fast, if you want to snipe put it on medium or low. The accuracy has improved my game immensly. I used to be in the top 5 all the time, now im in the top 3 about 90% of the time. Basically, it has improved my game two fold. And it is comfortable and has a nice thumb shelf. It also came with about 10 or so little metal weights that attach to the mouse, apparently you can make it heavy for some reason I dont know. I like it without the weights, so I can move the mouse faster. If anyone knows  a reason for the weights, let me know becaause ive found them unnessesary.

Please excuse any spelling errors...Ive had a few drinks

I told you it would increase your skillz.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:04:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I've gone through 2 of the Logitech 2 button mice in the past and their drivers are pretty craptastic. I never tried the G5 but I also went through 2 Microsoft Intellimouse explorers where the button(s) failed. I would get double or triple taps with one click of the mouse. My semi-auto pistols would be 3-rd burst pistols or my full-auto weapons would become random burst. Cooking nades was fun because you never know when the button would fail and cause the nade to "drop".

I went with a Razer Diamondback mouse because I wasn't too impressed with MS's lastest offerings and I've had bad experiences with Logitech in the past. The Diamondback is only 1600 dpi but it is butter-smooth and rather sensitive. I've been playing around with the sensitivity and it does have on-the-fly sensitivity adjustment. The 4 side buttons are pretty useless because I cannot map "maximize" or "back" to those buttons like I did with the MS mouse.

If you guys are saying the G5 is that much better than the Diamondback, I may consider returning it in exchange for the G5.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:39:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I've gone through 2 of the Logitech 2 button mice in the past and their drivers are pretty craptastic. I never tried the G5 but I also went through 2 Microsoft Intellimouse explorers where the button(s) failed. I would get double or triple taps with one click of the mouse. My semi-auto pistols would be 3-rd burst pistols or my full-auto weapons would become random burst. Cooking nades was fun because you never know when the button would fail and cause the nade to "drop".

I went with a Razer Diamondback mouse because I wasn't too impressed with MS's lastest offerings and I've had bad experiences with Logitech in the past. The Diamondback is only 1600 dpi but it is butter-smooth and rather sensitive. I've been playing around with the sensitivity and it does have on-the-fly sensitivity adjustment. The 4 side buttons are pretty useless because I cannot map "maximize" or "back" to those buttons like I did with the MS mouse.

If you guys are saying the G5 is that much better than the Diamondback, I may consider returning it in exchange for the G5.

I have two computers at home, one has a diamondback, and the other a razer copperhead.  I dont think the Logitech is any better of a mouse than the diamondback is, I wouldnt exchange the razer for the logitech at all.  If you wanna upgrade, maybe check out the razer copperhead - a bit different shape,and I think the buttons are a little better laid out (except the ones by the pinky of course, just like on the diamondback).  But still, I dont think there is any reason to get rid of your diamondback for anything less than its big brother.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:16:50 AM EDT
[#23]
You make a good point. I actually have the Diamondback Plasma limited edition, i thought it would be more updated than the chamelon or salamander (it does have the IR optical sensor, no LED light is emitted for the optical sensing). I noticed the Copperhead looks like it has a more curved body (ala MS intellimouse) which probably is more comfortable than the Diamondback. I am using a Belkin gel mouse pad (black fabric) that has worked well with mouse feet in the past and it tracks like butter. I find that cloth works much better for smoothness than a harder vinyl surface.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#24]
You mean I might get better if I get a mouse that costs more than $6?

I may have to get one of those.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
You mean I might get better if I get a mouse that costs more than $6?

I may have to get one of those.

....yes, these high DPI optical mice are a wonderful upgrade. Doesnt matter if its a Razor or a Logitech...just the fact that they have ultra high resolution is the key.

btw, does the Razor have a led or a laser? I know that my Logitech G5 has a real class-1 laser.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't notice a difference when gaming (it doesn't really matter when you're playing turn-based play-by-email CivII campaigns) but its definitly noticeable when working in photoshop or flash.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#27]
My Razer Diamondback uses a 5.8 megapixel optical sensor which uses IR (versus the visible red LEDs on most lesser optical mice), while the Razer Copperhead uses a LASER, same as the Logitech G5.

I found out how to use the on-the-fly sensitivity adjustment with my Diamondback and wow, it kicks serious ass in first person shooting. I can fine tune the heck out of it. The 1600 dpi resolution is buttery smooth.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:34:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top