Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 7:12:33 AM EDT
I cant get a good ping on BF2 multiplayer.  about 155 is the best I can do and that really sint good enough to play in it multi, it  lags real bad.  

any help?  I have dsl and my pc meets the min req's.  I tried the trick from EA to close unnec processes but it didnt help.

I used to(and still do)  get an awesome ping on bf1942 and DC combat,  between 70 and 90.

what gives?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a router/firewall? I set my router to send certain port traffic to my PC's LAN IP address to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible.

155 ping isn't bad at all, it should be very smooth if your hardware & internet connection is working correctly. The game server browser is lousey on BF2, if I use 3rd party game server browser (ex: The All Seeing Eye).. I get more realistic idea of my pings to other game servers and it updates faster.

You might want to try lowering some of the graphics details or turning off some of the effects. Maybe, even try a lower resolution, to actually see if the problem is the performance of your PC.

Try game servers with lower # of people playing to see if that's the problem. Try some of the small or medium map game servers.

I make sure, I kill as many of the background processes. IE antivirus, spyware/firewall software and any other misc apps. It really helps with freeing up as much RAM as possible.

Many people have improved their performance, by just tweaking their BIOS AGP settings.

Make sure your hard drive is defragmented.

Check to see if you have the most current drivers for your video card.

The game is much smoother with at least 1 gig of RAM. If you don't have 1 gig yet, that would be first hardware upgrade I would start at. 2 gigs of RAM would be even better...

Make sure your DirectX version is current.  The version on the game CD, should have upgraded it, during the install.
-------------------------------

You should list your current PC config. May help us help you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Well the BF2 server browser blows chunks.

I can't rely on it for my ping times.  It may show 200+ on the server browser, but in game I've seen it be realistically ~50ms.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:35:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Try uping your connection setting from 256k to T1+.  It shouldnt make much difference though, even with pings of 150 I play just fine.  

As for lag, what type are you getting?  The kind where the game is just running slow as hell, or slightly jerks you back and fourth as you move around?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#4]
i dont know if this is the trick you did but there is a folder in documents for bf2. i deleted all that stuff inside and my pings dropped form 200 to 30.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Try uping your connection setting from 256k to T1+.  It shouldnt make much difference though, even with pings of 150 I play just fine.  

As for lag, what type are you getting?  The kind where the game is just running slow as hell, or slightly jerks you back and fourth as you move around?

Im getting the kind of lag where the game just runs slow as hell.

my PC run down.

3.2g Pentium
160g  HD
1g RAM
256mg Video card (i think its nvidia)
17"ultrasharp flatscreen

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#6]
You may need to adjust your video settings.

Even on my LAN party machine, playing on servers with pings of 90, I will get jumpiness if I have everything maxxed out, even though it runs smooth on single player.  The card I am using is a 6800 Ultra, by the way.

Try turning the draw distance down for one, that is the killer for me.

What settings are you running the game at?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Run your vid and aud settings at low.  Your ping rate of 150 is actual gameplay ping, or the server menu ping?  Some servers will have lag depending on whose on them, to check that out, join an empty server.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#8]
OK guys, the other day I put all my vid settings at low ans put the distance at 70% and I got pings of 60 and 70.  I thought I had the prob solved.   I played for a while and closed Bf2.  The very next time I started it,(3hrs later) I was back at 250 ping.  My setttings have not changed.

WTF?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Same server for 60 and 250 pings?
Running direct cable, or through wireloess router?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#10]
You have anything uploading or downloading that you need to be aware of? Clean the system eal good and make sure there are no programs using the net.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#11]
What exact videocard do you have?
Run DXDIAG in [START ==> RUN] to get that video card info.
Make sure you have the most current video drivers. ATI just released new drivers for the ATI Radeon series this past week.

If I can get lag free & stutter free results from my older video cards: ATI AIW 8500DV (64 meg) & ATI AIW 9600XT (128 meg). You should be fine with the 256 video card. We just need to know the video card chipset & make, to see if that's your problem.

Run a bandwidth test, to let us know your dl/ul speeds.

www.dslreports.com/stest

Are you getting the ping rates, from within the game server (Score interface [TAB] key).
The BF2 Browser ping info are usually way off, from actually game ping (as stated already)

Make sure your not running BF2 patch 1.01, it has major memory leaks. If you installed 1.01, they recomended an uninstall & wipe out of the BF2 game directory after uninstall. Reinstall BF2 game and install 1.02 patch.
You don't have to worry about losing you BF2 user stats, they are stored on the GameSpy servers and can be retrieved. Just make sure you write down your exact player ID and remember the password, before uninstalling. You'll retrieve all your info the next time you log back in from the re-install.

Run CPU-Z 1.30, to verify CPU & Memory specs.
www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php
Just this past week, I had a fellow AR15 BF2 player run this to find out why he was having so much trouble online. He found out that his CPU was only running at 1GHz. He changed some jumpers on the MB and is now running at full CPU speed. Game is running much better for him now.
You can also verify to see if the memory sticks are working together correctly.

Install FRAPS to see what your ingame framerates are:

www.fraps.com/download.php

I have certain IP port ranges routed directly to my PC. Have the port ranges programmed onto my router/firewall, just to make sure the BF2 data goes to the right LAN address on my home network. It just an added measure, to make sure my pings are as low as possible. Port #s are in the back of the BF2 manual.

Try rebooting/ resetting your router & cable modems...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top