Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2004 1:11:07 PM EDT
I'm about to pick one up.  What do you folks think?
Link Posted: 12/3/2004 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on who you ask.  My wife or me.  I say it is well worth it but the wife says I need to come up from my dungeon and playing to spend more time with her.
Link Posted: 12/3/2004 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#2]

My Daughter and her friends like ours from last Christmas.

We watch DVD's so that is a plus for game challenged pricks like me.

Danny
Link Posted: 12/4/2004 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, it's by far the best system in MY book.  Out of the box, it has support for 480p and 720p (hi def) output, and almost all Xbox games are coded for at least 480p;  4 controllers ports, and broadband.  The graphics are worlds better than PS2, and anyone who says different is either playing their Xbox on a 20 year old TV with an RF adapter, or is a crack head.  Xbox live kicks serious ass, Sony doesn't have anything remotely like it...all online play is handled through the individual publisher.  

The new PS2 is pretty cool, it has broadband built in, and does progressive scan DVD...which the Xbox doesn't do.  Also, you can use the PS2 dvd player w/o a special adapter, while the Xbox requires one.  

Xbox does not have 5000 games like the PS2 does...but how many PS2 games are that good, and do you want to play them?  PS2 has better platformers and RPGs, while Xbox does sports games and shooters better.  

I have all 3 systems, and the Xbox logs most playing time by far.  I do play the PS2, and I've picked up some great low budget titles...but if I could only have 1 system, it would be Xbox.  Once you see Quantum Redshift in 480p on a 55 Widescreen TV, you'll know what I'm talking about.  Hardly any PS2 games run in 480p, and you can REALLY tell the difference on a big screen tv.  I know graphics alone don't make a game good, but there is a law of diminishing returns in that if the game looks too shitty, I just don't want to play it all that much.

Now, some one will come along directly and tell you Microsoft won't be in the video game market in a few years.  Once again, there seems to be a lot of crack smoking going on.  MS gets about $60 mil year from Xbox live, and just did a $100 mil DAY with the release of Halo 2.  Don't believe for a nanosecond that MS isn't committed to the video game biz.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2004 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a PS2 for a long time...I sold it a year or so ago and then recently just got a Xbox....

I'm glad I got one......the graphics and sound are awesome and I cannot say anything bad about it....
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Nothing else compares!

Get one now while they are comming with 2 free games (Top Spin & NCAA Football)
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer racing games. I had a PS2 and I was waiting for Gran Turismo 4. Well the release date kept getting pushed back, and back and... I got tired of waiting so I traded for an Xbox, primarily for Halo. Forza Motorsports will be available in a month for Xbox and it looks like it will be a GT4 killer. Polyphony dropped online play for GT4. Forza will have online play and you can damage the cars.
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Most serious gamers I know are on XBox.
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I prefer racing games. I had a PS2 and I was waiting for Gran Turismo 4. Well the release date kept getting pushed back, and back and... I got tired of waiting so I traded for an Xbox, primarily for Halo. Forza Motorsports will be available in a month for Xbox and it looks like it will be a GT4 killer. Polyphony dropped online play for GT4. Forza will have online play and you can damage the cars.

Bung, while you're waiting, the PG2 online is pretty fun, and I've played TOCA 2 online as well.  

Xbox has some great racing games.  I've played the Forza demo on the latext Official Xbox Magazine disk...graphics are very good, and the car handling is ultra realistic.  If they have a good career mode, and decent car customization, it will indeed be a GT4 killer.  

I've been waiting for GT4 myself...but I will probably pick up Forza first.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater.

Not for X-box.

Seiriously tho bolth systems have some good games.
Find somebody who has an X box & play the crap out of it.
Same for the PS2.
Just play and whtch ever one you like more should be the one you get.
Oh & BTW...Most Serious gamers I know own A NEO-GEO.
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Good comments everyone.  Fenian, great comparison of the two systems--very informative. Yeah, I've heard the X-Box is dead, but its following seems to be growing and growing.  I'm primarily a PC gamer, but that might change.  Since it's cheaper to buy an X-Box than upgrade my video card, it's hard to ignore the X-Box.  It does seem like most serious gamers are sporting X-Boxes, or at least spend the most time on them.  When I get one, I'll make sure to post my X-Box Live handle so get a chance to frag a arfcommer.  haha

Grywlf54, yeah I hear you.  I've been caught playing a video game, not paying attention to a girlfriend on the phone more times than I can count.  So I'm sure most of my ex's aren't X-Box-friendly either.  haha
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer the PC. Some of the "great" console games take forever (if never) to get ported over to the PC. But a FPS isn't the same without a mouse and keyboard.

Link Posted: 12/30/2004 7:26:10 AM EDT
[#12]
The Xbox is by far not Dead....Microsofts pride is on the line here and Bill hasn't gave up on anything in his life to my understanding. Xbox has several years of life expectancy left and Xbox 2 is well underway for its replacement.

Get one you won't be Sorry - Later - Travis
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey, folks.

I ended up buying an XBox the other day.  It took me forever to find one locally.  In fact, a Game Stop by me got a shipment of them and I ended up with the last one the same day.  Been smoking Covenant and Flood ever since!  Loive it!  haha
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#14]
considering it quickly sprang to the number 2 system for a first time console  thats pretty damn good.

Of course most gamers I know have both a ps2 and a Xbox.

Ill pick up a Xbox once the price drops to 100 bucks witch word on the rumor mill says probly around summer time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 7:05:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top