Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 2:58:43 AM EDT

I've been playing this for a few weeks now and it's been very fun.  One of the most well-balanced and stable MMORPGs I've ever played.

For those not familiar with City of Heroes it's a "massively multi-player online role-playing game" (like Everquest, Ultima Online, etc) but with a super-heroes theme.  You play of course as a super-hero.  Character customization alone can take a long time on it's own with the huge amount of choices you have.  There are several "archetypes" of characters to play as well each with different sets of "powers".

Very cool game and the developers plan to release new content quarterly.  Next big patch adds in a ton of new stuff including new zones.  It seems to be very "stable" in that there has not been any constant "nerfing" that other MMORPGs seem to do.

There's even a sequel planned for early next year called "City of Villians" where you get to play as a super-villian.  At that point, player vs. player will be introduced to the game as well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've been playing this for a few weeks now and it's been very fun.  One of the most well-balanced and stable MMORPGs I've ever played.

For those not familiar with City of Heroes it's a "massively multi-player online role-playing game" (like Everquest, Ultima Online, etc) but with a super-heroes theme.  You play of course as a super-hero.  Character customization alone can take a long time on it's own with the huge amount of choices you have.  There are several "archetypes" of characters to play as well each with different sets of "powers".

Very cool game and the developers plan to release new content quarterly.  Next big patch adds in a ton of new stuff including new zones.  It seems to be very "stable" in that there has not been any constant "nerfing" that other MMORPGs seem to do.

There's even a sequel planned for early next year called "City of Villians" where you get to play as a super-villian.  At that point, player vs. player will be introduced to the game as well.

Sone guy at a bookstore highly recommended it.  I'll get around to playing some day...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I just canceled my subscription after about 3 months of playing it.

Got up to a level 32 assault rifle blaster, naturally ofcourse...    Started getting boring fast after missions took on the usual repetitive course of events and became much less interesting, group or solo battles were pretty much the same all across the board with just the skins changing between enemy.

The final straw was I logged in one day with such bad lag that it took me 5 attempts to make it across Freedom Falls from the hospital to a safe zone after dying, would super jump and about 1/2 way through the jump I'd wind up warping back to the starting point because the server couldn't track the movements the server was so laggy.

I played as "uglygun" on the Triumph server.    Might sign back up one of these days but only after a patch or two.   I was in a group of people who were some of the first on the server to level up to level 40+, at level 32 the process of leveling up didn't look terribly exciting knowing what it took to get to lvl 32.    Also found it pretty boring that all the influence couldn't be spent on things other than costume changes or training enhancements, I was fully slotted with SO enhances and still had like 2 million influence sitting around after creating a 2nd character costume.    Most of the level 40s I know have something like 5 million or more influence sitting around not being used.

If I do decide to come back, I hope they don't delete the old characters I had during the time of inactivity.

Though I am kind of interested in City of Villians.    That could get me back into the game with some PvP fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top