Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2003 6:18:47 AM EDT
I have been playing DOD for the last several weeks and I find it to be more fun than CS.  Nothing better than setting up a Browning .30 with some support from some M-1s and mowing down half of the other team.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I love that game, ar15.com used to have a server up, do they still?
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 11:29:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't played it in a while.

That game was great. I had a server set up and everything.

IF there is no longer an AR15.com DoD server, IM me. I can get my old one back online.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I love DOD. I only play it and TFC any more

We need to cooperate and play together some time
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#4]
A server would be great NAM.  Yep it is better if your team works together.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Not that I can count or anything, but you can count me in.  IM me if you want to get DOD or any other HL mod going.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 11:07:23 PM EDT
[#6]
allright!

that will be my weekend project. Ip will be posted before the weekend is up.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 2:32:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Minor problem:

Have they made DoD a pay game?

i haven't DoD'd in a few months. Back then, it was all free. Now, it looks liek it's become an official Valve supported game. The webpage seems to be down.

Have i missed something? I was gonna download the lastest version and get it up and online. However, doesn't look liek that's an option.

Details? Suggestions? Linkage?

Lucky me, i saved the old installs. The latest version i have is DOD 3.1.

is that current? Need the latest scoop.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 4:03:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I think 1.1 beta was just released today. And the pay part has to do with Steam, their new system.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#9]
NAM,

I'm sure this probably isn't news to you, but here are a couple of links you may want to take a look at if you haven't already:

www.dayofdefeat.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=c94b05a98e6affd32173f18cf2d790fd&forumid=6
This is a link to/for the DoD Server Discussion forums.

and

www.dayofdefeat.net/forums/index.php
This is a link to/for the main DoD forums - info on Steam, Support/Help, etc.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#10]
DoD is still free, it's just available to purchase the same way counter-strike is.  Hey Mad Professor....I was playin with you the other night in the "White Widow" server under the name "Ice Krypt".   You left before I could say goodbye.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#11]
DoD free.. but pay for steam?

im going to have to look into this more when i get back from hunting.

I've figured it out once, im sure i can figure it out again. However, if you do have to pay, i don't know about that.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:19:50 AM EDT
[#12]
There is no paying for it if you had it before.  You have to uninstall it and download the mod from scratch, though.  Otherwise it'll error...

DoD is just available in a retail version in addition to the free mod, similar to how counter-strike is a free mod for half-life but you can purchase it as well.  What you are buying isn't the mod as much as it is the CD-Key...so if you have a half-life/counter-strike/dod cd key, no need to purchase anything.

Clear? :)
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
DoD free.. but pay for steam?

NAM,

here's the skinny on CS, DoD, Steam, etc:

Steam (for now - and, so Valve tells us, for ever) is free.  It's hard to describe, but Steam is (seems to be) a way to keep all your games updated automatically.  It arranges your HL-based games into one "easy-to-manage" folder and, whenever you try to play said game, automatically searches for updates.

Honestly, to me, it was a relief to be able to stop searching file sites for x.00102 update so I could install x.01001 update and whatnot.  However, I can see a time coming when Valve will charge for "the convenience of" Steam.

For now, the only plans on Valve's (public) drawing board for charging players, is if they don't want to run out to the store and purchase a Valve title, they can just download it from Steam, for a price.

I dunno - sounds kinda shady to me, but....

So, just to clarify - for now, there is no charge for Steam or anything related to it - unless you want to purchase something "for the sake of convenience".  It looks like Valve was just trying to find a way to cut out the middlemen in its supply/distibution chain.

From their website, located at www.steampowered.com:

------------------------------------------

WHAT IS STEAM?

Steam is Valve's new way of getting games into your hands ASAP. Games like Half-Life, Counter-Strike, and Counter-Strike Condition Zero are all being made available through Steam.

Steam games are automatically kept up-to-date with the latest content and revisions. Steam also includes an instant-message client which even works while you're in-game.

At its core, Steam is a distributed file system and shared set of technology components that can be implemented into any software application.

With Steam, developers are given integrated tools for direct-content publishing, flexible billing, ensured-version control, anti-cheating, anti-piracy, and more.

Check out the full feature list, and install Steam today!

-------------------------------------

and this:

Day of Defeat 1.1 beta to be Released Tonight
Day of Defeat version 1.1 beta is being released exclusively on Steam for a limited period of time.

Game Engine Update
An update for all Steam games has been released this evening.

Downtime Complete; Steam Update Released
The Steam scheduled downtime and maintenance has been completed.

For what it's worth,

Jake.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info!

Doesn't seem as bad as it originally came off. I've got Half life, and several of the mods that came with keys. So i should be good to go.
When i get back the first week of december, i'll start work on it. Hopefully i cna have an AR15.com DoD server up by the first weekend in December. I'll keep everyone posted! Thanks again!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#15]
NAM,

sounds like you bought the HL Platinum Collection (that's the one I have - where you get HL and several of the mods, which come with keys - it's a six disc set)!  Either that or the Game of the Year (GotY) edition.

Yeah, Steam doesn't sound so bad after you read Valve's blurb about it - although I'm still kind of wary of what the future will hold.

Take Care and Best Wishes,

Jake.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hey Mad Professor....I was playin with you the other night in the "White Widow" server under the name "Ice Krypt".   You left before I could say goodbye.  

Hey, I remember you!!

The dod client I have is piece milled togeither and doesent like to work right, so I get kicked out of servers alot, by my own system.

Id be glad to play sometime, i think Im going to actually get the retail version before I do
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:44:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey Mad Professor....I was playin with you the other night in the "White Widow" server under the name "Ice Krypt".   You left before I could say goodbye.  

Hey, I remember you!!

The dod client I have is piece milled togeither and doesent like to work right, so I get kicked out of servers alot, by my own system.

Id be glad to play sometime, i think Im going to actually get the retail version before I do

If you have: a) Steam, b) a fast enough connection (I recently upgraded to DSL), and c) a liking/trust of Steam, might I suggest this:

Instead of paying for something you can get for free (like I did, although I scored the Platinum Collection, which included the retail DoD, for a mere $15), why don't you uninstall your DoD, goto something like FilePlanet and install the oldest/smallest version of DoD, connect to Steam, select DoD from the Games menu, and then let Steam take care of the rest of your updating?

P.S. If you do spring for the retail version of DoD, you'll still have to update it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey, NAM - any update on the DoD server?  It'd be nice to play with some mature (OK, so not [i]completely[/i] mature) and knowledgeable arfcomers - tired of all these damn peeps that have never held/shot/owned a "non-virtual" gun talking trash.

If I can be of any assistance, pls let me know.

P.S. Absolutely love your avatar - where can I get me one of them stickers?
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Howdy all!

sorry for the delay. Got back from leave ot find a nice stack of work waiting for me. Been busting my balls to get it done. I have a three day weekend this weekend, and will start Tomorrow night.

When the server is up, i will post the IP.

Thanks for all the help!

EDIT: Got bored and took a crack at it.

Server Name: N*A*M's DoD Server *UNDER CONSTRUCTION*

You guys need an IP? I'm still learning how this steam stuff works.
Wise_Jake: Like my truck?

[img]http://webpages.charter.net/gremminger_nam/fonda.JPG[/img]

[url]http://www.americanhonor.net/vietnam.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Wise_Jake: Like my truck?

View Quote

Sure do, man!

BTW - before you edited your post, didn't you ask something about versions, etc?  I could've sworn it.  If you did, rest assured - Steam will take care of (most of? almost all of? anyone else wanna weigh in here?) your version changes and upgrades.

A few posts up, I suggested that someone install the leanest version of HL, DoD, etc they had, install Steam, then let it update the rest of the way.  I'm assuming (though not w/ the intention of making an ass out of myself or others - hence the call for help above) that it works for server installs of the program as well.  Haven't read enough about that aspect myself, though.

No matter how you have installed HL or any of its mods (within reason, I'm sure), when you install Steam, as part of the "installation" process Steam "absorbs" and/or "converts" your entire HL directory into its own "Steam" directory.  Kinda like "The 'Borg" I guess....

Your Steam directory will in all likelihood look like this: [InstallDirecory]:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/[YourEmailAddress]...

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Server should be up and running. How well, i do not know.

I started the server through the steam HLDS serverselection, with DoD as the game type. Now...it seems almost like a listen server. I'm looking to set up a dedicated server. IS that the right idea?

Also, the config files. I see a few things can be changed from the steam menu. However, the old version had .cfg files that you changed to modify different aspects of the game. have they moved them, or removed them alltogether?

Anywho.... im slowly figuing this new setup out. Tonight i'll try installing metamod and admin mod, et al.

IF you are able to get on my server, Let me know how it's working.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top