Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 2:06:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#1]
If you intend to play games, make space for the CRT.  Besides, they're about half the price.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#3]
haven't had any problems playing fps's on my laptop, so if these are relatively new monitors(which it appears that they are) there shouldn't be any ghosting problems.

Be aware, however, that if you don't run it at the native resolution (i.e. stretch 800x600 to 1024x768 or whatever the native resolution is), everything will look somewhat fuzzy. I've also heard that there may be aliasing from the conversion, but i've yet to see that. The worst that I've seen are that lines and edges will be somewhat blurry.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:55:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess it is really personal preference. I haven't played any games on a NEW LCD, but I have a 15" LCD that is fairly old and it really sucks for gaming. So, I would always prefer a nice CRT as opposed to an LCD when it comes to gaming. But I guess I haven't seen the latest LCD's either so I could be wrong. :)

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#5]
you're limited to 1280 by 960 or whatever that is on an LCD, I believe.  Since most new systems will run things at 1600x1200 with decent frame rates, you're really shortchanging yourself if you're a die hard gamer and you opt for the LCD.  I'd make the room, personally.  You can get decent 19" CRTs for well below $200 shipped these days...1/3 the price of the LCDs you list, and better gaming performance.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Gloftoe, these days I run everything at 1600x1200...hence my comment about being shortchanged by being limited to 1280x1024.  My buddy has the same LCD...while it looks good, it doesn't look as good, imho, as my CRT at the higher resolution.  He brought it over, and we did a side by side with UT2003 and a few other games.  

Personal preference, I guess.

Superchicken, how small is your desk that you can't acomodate a CRT?  I've put a monitor in some pretty small spaces.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#8]
btw, http://www.newegg.com has several nicely priced monitors with FREE shipping.. which is always a plus. :)
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 1:39:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I dont know if the the 17in. AG Neovo uses the glass over the screen like the 19in. does but if so I found that at times it causes a noticable glare.  The Viewsonic VP171b is an excellent monitor you would not go wrong with.  I would still go CRT though unless there is no way you can make room.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top