Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2015 2:44:58 AM EDT
I've gone through a lot of desks and still haven't found anything that is just right, so I'm gonna just build one. I debated on whether to put this thread here or in DIY, but I figure you guys would have better ideas and less of the "hurrhurr go get a job gamer"

Sooo... what I need, is a desk that will do everything. For example, playing Arma 3 I would be using mouse, keyboard, Orbweaver, wheel, pedals, stick, throttle, and TrackIR. These are the closest I've seen:

But neither are exactly what I want, and the Obutto at least is overpriced.

I'm FAR from a craftsman, so my building materials are plywood and 4X4s I have a nice 2'X4' maple veneered piece of ply leftover from my TV stand project, so I think I'll use that as the base. I'm not an idea man, but I'm good at developing ideas that other people come up with.

So, if you have ideas for the layout, please post, and I can try to incorporate them.  

The main thing, I believe, will be two extensions from the desk at a comfortable height to hold the stick/throttle and Orbweaver/mouse. The keyboard will need to be either extended out toward the chair, or on some sort of swivel (I usually have most keypresses set up on my Orbweaver so the keyboard isn't super critical).

Monitor will be either a 37" or 42" TV, but it can be hung from the wall if need be.

Also thinking about a nice two-level footrest underneath, too...

Shoot me some ideas or what feature YOU would like in a desk!

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I built this for damn cheap, just 2x4s and plywood.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#2]
That shit is going to be so cool when VR headsets hit the market.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#3]
imo all those "look" cool but they have no space top do anything else. depending on the money you want to do i love to look of a reclamed bowling ally wood top or bucher block top with some 2" steal pipe legs.

give this  thread a look over
http://www.overclock.net/t/1547352/pimp-my-new-office-whats-your-perfect-office

something like this

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Hahns, that's fairly close to what I want to do. A center stick would make things easier but is a little awkward for me unfortunately        

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

imo all those "look" cool but they have no space top do anything else. depending on the money you want to do i love to look of a reclamed bowling ally wood top or bucher block top with some 2" steal pipe legs.
View Quote
My other desks work fine for just being desks, this is specifically for gaming. Almost a dedicated cockpit setup

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#5]
im sure you could modify it to what ever fit you need not to mention attach what ever you want to the poll legs

if you read that thread in the end the dude uses 3 40" tvs surround on 3 walmart tables so its close to what you want.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:46:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Check Ikea. I'm not joking when I say Ikea has the best PC gaming desks on the market and they are reasonably priced.

edit: I'm partial to stuff like this

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19022790/

It's wide enough to hold 3 monitors and your tower all on the top surface, it can be adjusted to any height to avoid wrist strain or injury and it has enough depth for any controller you want to use plus ample room for a monitor + keyboards, etc. Also comes in almost any color combination and their are accessories that go with it. I'm using their wire management system to keep all the wires off the ground for easy vacuuming, looks like these pictures I googled:

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:31:05 AM EDT
[#7]
^ That's a good idea for cable management. I'll have to set up something like that on this desk.

Today I stopped by Home Depot and picked up some Douglas Fir 4X4s and had them cut down to the right height. Tomorrow I'll start working on the actual layout and hopefully get to cutting

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

im sure you could modify it to what ever fit you need not to mention attach what ever you want to the poll legs

if you read that thread in the end the dude uses 3 40" tvs surround on 3 walmart tables so its close to what you want.
View Quote
I do like the look of it, I'm partial to butcher block. I might consider that for a regular desk.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top