This is the gaming subforum and these are products geared towards gaming
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did we just turn into GPU central?  

This is the gaming subforum and these are products geared towards gaming

I'm just messing with you.  I saw the three GPU threads and was like "wait, what?"  

I agree with Quintin that the ACX cooler is...less than impressive so far.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:58:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:20:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'm all ready for a 970, but I think I'm gonna wait until the MSI or ASUS cards come back into stock, or Black Friday, whichever comes first.
View Quote

I talked to Newegg today and they got a boat load of cards (970/980) in on Thursday that should be in stock middle of next week.

And I canceled my backorder with Amazon and will be picking up an ASUS 980 Strix or maybe reference when they are available.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:28:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I talked to Newegg today and they got a boat load of cards (970/980) in on Thursday that should be in stock middle of next week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm all ready for a 970, but I think I'm gonna wait until the MSI or ASUS cards come back into stock, or Black Friday, whichever comes first.

And I canceled my backorder with Amazon and will be picking up an ASUS 980 Strix or maybe reference when they are available.

Is the 980 really worth the 200+ extra over the 970?

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:29:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Price to performance ratio doesn't seem to be there based on benchmarks, especially because you can get near 980 performance with a conservative overclock (though the 980 can of course overclock beyond that as well).  But that has always kinda been the case with the 70 vs 80 versions of nvidia cards.  For the folks that want those last few frames and don't care how much it costs to get it, the 980 is the way to go (or wait for the inevitable ti version).  For the vast majority of folks, the 970 would be the better choice by a mile.  Spend that money you save on some other upgrades.  

Bleeding edge GPUs are never cost effective because they are always far more expensive for only small gains over the next tier down, plus an even newer bleeding edge card is always on the horizon waiting to supplant it.  Within 6 months, or maybe less, we'll probably see a 980ti card that will make the regular 980 seem pretty pedestrian.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Price to performance ratio doesn't seem to be there based on benchmarks, especially because you can get near 980 performance with a conservative overclock (though the 980 can of course overclock beyond that as well).  But that has always kinda been the case with the 70 vs 80 versions of nvidia cards.  For the folks that want those last few frames and don't care how much it costs to get it, the 980 is the way to go (or wait for the inevitable ti version).  For the vast majority of folks, the 970 would be the better choice by a mile.  Spend that money you save on some other upgrades.  

Bleeding edge GPUs are never cost effective because they are always far more expensive for only small gains over the next tier down, plus an even newer bleeding edge card is always on the horizon waiting to supplant it.  Within 6 months, or maybe less, we'll probably see a 980ti card that will make the regular 980 seem pretty pedestrian.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is true.  I'm planning a X99 build now.  Don't know if I want to wait for Ti cards to come out or just buy now.  I can get 2 970's for just about the price of 1 980.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been holding off in hopes of a 28nm 990 or 980ti.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
sounds lame, but I'm almost tired of the graphic cards rat race.  Every year it seems I get a game that on highest graphic settings my card from last year doesn't cut it.  
View Quote

I upgrade GPUs about once every two years (which is really more often than you need to), and I usually get the 60 or 70 versions of cards rather than the super extreme hardcore 980/290X/etc.  I think it's really a matter of whether you always want to be right on the very top, or whether you are willing to deal with slightly lower graphics settings by year 2.  For me it doesn't matter though because it's still worlds better than what a console is outputting.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I upgrade GPUs about once every two years (which is really more often than you need to), and I usually get the 60 or 70 versions of cards rather than the super extreme hardcore 980/290X/etc.  I think it's really a matter of whether you always want to be right on the very top, or whether you are willing to deal with slightly lower graphics settings by year 2.  For me it doesn't matter though because it's still worlds better than what a console is outputting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

sounds lame, but I'm almost tired of the graphic cards rat race.  Every year it seems I get a game that on highest graphic settings my card from last year doesn't cut it.  

This.  I can get 2+ years out of a GPU.  I have a GTX 770 now and the only reason I am upgrading is I want a X99 build.   My 770 runs everything I want very well.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top