Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2013 9:46:09 AM EDT
Was it any good?

For references I loved the alien vs predator game.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I have it on PC/Steam.

It's dildoes.

Well, perhaps not full on dildoes... it is a very disappointing game full of half executed ideas, mediocre graphics and gameplay, horrid writing and some of the stupidest enemy AI I've ever seen.

If you have to play it, get it months from now when it's $19.99 in the bargain bin.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Im enjoying it but Im somewhat of a fanboy for the AVP games.  

It could have been much much better.  The graphics are terrible and there are frustrating moments, but I like the multiplayer.  

Don't even dream of Battlefield 3 quality.  If you like the AVP games you will enjoy the multiplayer.  If you aren't already a fan of AVP games you will probably hate it.  

The last AVP game had better multiplayer though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Metacritic scores

And if you have the time, a good review:

I liked the A v P that came out in 2010.  I bought it last year for $20 but it was a decent game.  This new game is apparently horrid.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 6:49:09 AM EDT
[#7]
The MP if fun.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#8]
On Xbox the game was shit I opened it from the plastic played it for 30 minutes then threw it in the return pile.

The aliens stare at you at times the npc block your movement and dont do shit and you can tell whats going to happen ten years before it happens.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 4:07:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Also I forgot to add when violent events are about to happen you'll get screen tearing and the game will pause a little.

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#10]

http://www.reddit.com/r/LV426/comments/18ewf4/a_lot_of_you_are_rightfully_upset_at_the_final/]Reddit post from a former GB employee on what really happened with "A: CM" development.

DO NOT SPEND YOUR MONEY ON THIS PRODUCT.  PERIOD.

Anyone who buys anything from Gearbox software at this point is a 1st-order sucker.  GB CEO Randy Pitchford is an unadulterated liar & hopefully, he'll be sued good & hard by Sega for whatever legal liability they can get him for.  He has completely lied about the games capabilities, content, & the supposed investment that went into its development.  It was - like the (fake) E3 demo - a complete sham.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 7:33:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow this sucks I'm very disappointed to hear all of this. I'm surprised gearbox would put out an inferior product since borderlands is so amazing.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wow this sucks I'm very disappointed to hear all of this. I'm surprised gearbox would put out an inferior product since borderlands is so amazing.

If you read some of the other rumors on the disastrous dev cycle it would appear Gearbox sacrificed Aliens to make Borderlands 2.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't even get me started. The game is a complete and outright fucking fraud. I really hope Sega sues Gearbox for the mismanagement of their IP and the money they cost them. Gearbox is culpable. Fuck Gearbox and their blatantly lying asses.

That said, the game isn't as bad as the metacritic suggests, but it's not much better. Six fucking years in development and it feels like a half ass thrown together at the last minute game because that's what it is.

From what everybody can understand, Gearbox was very happy to gobble up Sega's money while asking for extensions without actually producing a product. They then subbed out development of the game to Timegate and asset development to a fucking Chinese company to show something for the money they received for the work they were supposed to do. Gearbox got extension after extension for working on the game. Gearbox kept putting off working on the game until after Borderlands 2 shipped, and then in the last few months prior to release finally started working on creating a releasable product. Needless to say the end result was a slap in the face. Game looks like crap. AI is some of the worst I've ever seen in a game. They completely molested the Pulse Rifle and Tapco fucked it.

I'll just stop there.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you read some of the other rumors on the disastrous dev cycle it would appear Gearbox sacrificed Aliens to make Borderlands 2.

And Borderlands...

And Duke Nukem...

What kind of business model is it when you take on work to do a job but then do THREE other jobs concurrently when your manpower only allows for work to be done on one at a time and you never work on the first one you were contracted to do?
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Reddit post from a former GB employee on what really happened with "A: CM" development]http://www.reddit.com/r/LV426/comments/18ewf4/a_lot_of_you_are_rightfully_upset_at_the_final/]Reddit post from a former GB employee on what really happened with "A: CM" development.

Anyone who buys anything from Gearbox software at this point is a 1st-order sucker.  GB CEO Randy Pitchford is an unadulterated liar & hopefully, he'll be sued good & hard by Sega for whatever legal liability they can get him for.  He has completely lied about the games capabilities, content, & the supposed investment that went into its development.  It was - like the (fake) E3 demo - a complete sham.
Fixed your link.

Link Posted: 3/11/2013 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Ill continue buying borderlands but other then that gearbox is dead to me.

Edited to add the only reason I bought it is because I had preordered it and got it the first day, and my preoorder bonus content code didnt even work ahahhaaha.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#17]
sucked balls wate of money
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reddit post from a former GB employee on what really happened with "A: CM" development]http://www.reddit.com/r/LV426/comments/18ewf4/a_lot_of_you_are_rightfully_upset_at_the_final/]Reddit post from a former GB employee on what really happened with "A: CM" development.

Fixed your link.

Can someone post a summary of what was said in that reddit link without saying/typing "le"?
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:Can someone post a summary of what was said in that reddit link without saying/typing "le"?
There is none of that on there.

Link Posted: 3/12/2013 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#21]
What really frustrates the hell out of me about the game is the collision detection seems fucked to Hell. I have been incapacitated more times due to firing my underslung grenade/firebomb/whatever launcher near an object than by any Xenomorph. The weapon can be a foot over the obstruction and BOOM! I go down on my back like a blonde on prom night.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 7:47:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What really frustrates the hell out of me about the game is the collision detection seems fucked to Hell. I have been incapacitated more times due to firing my underslung grenade/firebomb/whatever launcher near an object than by any Xenomorph. The weapon can be a foot over the obstruction and BOOM! I go down on my back like a blonde on prom night.

Had the same thing happen. Collision detection in the game was pretty shoddy. I was taking cover several times and couldn't shoot through thin air around it despite having a clear view.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 8:50:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Speaking of the collision detection, it was quite common in my games for the aliens to clip right through my character then I'd have to try to move away, spin around and somehow shoot them while they were batting at me while standing INSIDE me. Oh lord help you if you were lining up a pulse rifle grenade shot on one of them only to have another one clip into you causing you to magically hit HIM and yourself at the same time for instadeath. And I found the clipping extended to weapon hit detection as well. There are times in the game when a bad guy is in an animation cycle or is too close to a wall that the game will simply not allow you to shoot them. There were several times when I was shooting at Mr. Whitepants mercenary guys with the sniper rifle only to watch shots that were totally lined up center of head or center of torso not register as a hit because the baddie was either in an animation cycle that couldn't be interrupted or they were too close to a wall or object.

It was really horribly noticeable on the "boss fight" (quotation marks used ironically) with "The Raven". You'd be in the power loading flailing around trying hit him and he would just clip right through you or a wall and you'd have to hard steer that pig around to him him behind you only to see that had clipped through you AGAIN and was behind you AGAIN... resulting in the "boss fight" being an endless circling match clipping through each other trying to hit him with two power loader arms that had the reaction time of a turtle in mayonnaise and a targeting reticle so huge and inaccurate it was like trying to aim looking through a third grader's shoe box diorama. Then when you DID hit him down, he'd clip through a wall and you couldn't hit him anymore.

My final bitchy McBitchpants complaint is "Badass mode". They don't actually make the game any harder, they just remove your HUD so you have no clue how much damage you can take or how much ammo you have left... which is very annoying as many of the guns I liked to use don't have ammo counters, nor did they count the grenades. I actually stopped playing the game on "badass" not because it was hard but because it was so goddamned annoying to THINK you had armor or ammo left only to find out nope, you're dry and you're dead.

OK I lied I have one last complaint... the completely nonsensical, poorly ordered and executed "challenges". They go from being retard simple like "shoot a guy in the face with a gun" to frustratingly hard like "hit with every bullet out of a magazine without reloading or missing". Insert guy throwing over table gif here.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Speaking of the collision detection, it was quite common in my games for the aliens to clip right through my character then I'd have to try to move away, spin around and somehow shoot them while they were batting at me while standing INSIDE me. Oh lord help you if you were lining up a pulse rifle grenade shot on one of them only to have another one clip into you causing you to magically hit HIM and yourself at the same time for instadeath. And I found the clipping extended to weapon hit detection as well. There are times in the game when a bad guy is in an animation cycle or is too close to a wall that the game will simply not allow you to shoot them. There were several times when I was shooting at Mr. Whitepants mercenary guys with the sniper rifle only to watch shots that were totally lined up center of head or center of torso not register as a hit because the baddie was either in an animation cycle that couldn't be interrupted or they were too close to a wall or object.

It was really horribly noticeable on the "boss fight" (quotation marks used ironically) with "The Raven". You'd be in the power loading flailing around trying hit him and he would just clip right through you or a wall and you'd have to hard steer that pig around to him him behind you only to see that had clipped through you AGAIN and was behind you AGAIN... resulting in the "boss fight" being an endless circling match clipping through each other trying to hit him with two power loader arms that had the reaction time of a turtle in mayonnaise and a targeting reticle so huge and inaccurate it was like trying to aim looking through a third grader's shoe box diorama. Then when you DID hit him down, he'd clip through a wall and you couldn't hit him anymore.

My final bitchy McBitchpants complaint is "Badass mode". They don't actually make the game any harder, they just remove your HUD so you have no clue how much damage you can take or how much ammo you have left... which is very annoying as many of the guns I liked to use don't have ammo counters, nor did they count the grenades. I actually stopped playing the game on "badass" not because it was hard but because it was so goddamned annoying to THINK you had armor or ammo left only to find out nope, you're dry and you're dead.

OK I lied I have one last complaint... the completely nonsensical, poorly ordered and executed "challenges". They go from being retard simple like "shoot a guy in the face with a gun" to frustratingly hard like "hit with every bullet out of a magazine without reloading or missing". Insert guy throwing over table gif here.

They turned friendly fire on in Ultimate Bad-ass as well. Nothing is more annoying than trying to help remove a facehugger from your friend by hitting it square in the middle of its body, only to watch it attach itself to your teammates face because you hit it.

And yes, the challenges are annoyingly thrown about.

Link Posted: 3/15/2013 4:40:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 4:45:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Shitty game save your money.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Holy crap, this game gets a 4gb patch on Steam today.

The patch notes claim a lot of gameplay fixes plus new textures.

I wonder how much of a gleen they can get on a polished turd?

Edit: Played the patched version just now... it seems very, very much the same.

The "new textures" are completely unnoticed. They appear to have tweaked the game's rendering engine so now it's all noise and lens flares. The game looks a lot grainier and shinier than it did before, but the texture maps all seem to be the same. It's hard to tell with all the grain and lens flares from the light sources.

The enemies seem a bit more enthusiastic for trying to attack you, but they also seem just as dumb.

So in my unprofessional opinion this patch accomplishes nothing... the graphics look worse and the enemies are still dumb as sacks of hammers, just now they're more pissed off and suicidal.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top