Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2002 9:53:15 AM EDT
I have "Shadow Force: Razor Unit" and "Secret Service: In Harms Way".  Both are basically the same game just different plots.  I can have some decent shoot-outs with the enemies and the weapons climb with recoil, which I like and they were cheap to buy, $10 and $20 respectively.

I also have "Rogue Spear: Black Thorn".  The Rogue Spear series used to be my favorite until I got the first 2 games I mentioned.  I Rogue Spear, if you see the enemy and don't shoot him first, you're dead.  Also, I don't like how the weapons shot spread is programmed.

"Project: IGI" I think is pretty good.

"SWAT 3" which I just got doesn't impress me.  It looks okay, but it's a little slow on my computer and there's too much "thinking" involved.  I'm not sure what I need to accomplish in the missions, so I seem to fail at them.

I bought "Spec Ops: Platinum Collection" for $10.  It's supposed to have 4 games on it, but I could only get 2 of them to work on my computer.  I haven't really played them because I like to use the mouse to look around and the ASWD keys to move and these don't work like that.

Last I have is "Tactical Ops: Assault on Terror". I like this a lot, but if I put the AI on the highest level, they practically dodge bullets.  It has good shoot-outs and ballistics otherwise.  I'm disappointed I can't use the M60 as a Special Ops guy though.

I want "SOF2: Double Helix", "Ghost Recon", "Half-Life Platinum"  and "Operation Flash Point" but I'm waiting for the prices to drop a bit before I buy... or I just have excess money to spend. [:)]  I was keeping my eye out for "Rogue Spear Platinum" collection, but now that I found games I like better I'm not sure...

Anyone have something to recommend?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#1]
You should try America's Army.

Its FREE and best played if you are online.

[url]http://www.americasarmy.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#2]

I want "SOF2: Double Helix", "Ghost Recon", "Half-Life Platinum"  and "Operation Flash Point" but I'm waiting for the prices to drop a bit before I buy... or I just have excess money to spend. [:)]  I was keeping my eye out for "Rogue Spear Platinum" collection, but now that I found games I like better I'm not sure...

Anyone have something to recommend?
Thanks!
View Quote

I've got almost all those games, factory not copies, up for trade on the equipment exchange as well as a ton of other FPS games.

My personal favorites:

Global Operations and Team Fortress... not really realistic but the "team play" angle and plethora of real world guns make them fun.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Half-Life
America's Army
SWAT3
Medal Of Honor Allied Assault
Global Operations
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#4]
A friend tossed me the old "Unreal Tournament" game.. Not bad..(I'm not big on PC games) Now download the "Agent X" mod for it.. Not too realistic (three three round bursts from an AK for a kill!?) But still a LOT of fun..

I've heard of the T-Ops but have'nt had the paitence or bandwith to download it..

Meplat-

Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#5]
If your computer can handle it,....you [b]MUST[/b] get [b]Operation Flashpoint[/b], and the [b]Operation Flashpoint Resistance upgrade[/b]...
and then start downloading addons [:D]
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#6]
[i]Deus Ex.[/i]

A couple years old and the graphics are a little out of date, but the storyline is *unbeatable.*

I don't want to give away too much of the plot, but it centers around UN, FEMA, and "terrorism" conspiracy theories. Radical libertarian politics scattered through the whole game. Everyone should play it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 11:54:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Under Ash [;D]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 1:20:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I prefer Ghost Recon/Desert Siege and SWAT 3. I like to play online with people who know what teamwork is and don't mind sacrificing kills to help the team complete the mission. Looking forward to Raven Shield, the next installment of the Rainbow 6 series and SWAT: Urban Justice, the next SWAT game.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I have four words for you... Return to Castle Wolfenstein. You will need a decent system and graphics card though. Not sure what the minimum requirements are but you can probably find them at www.planetwolfenstein.com. Best PC game around if youre into shooting Nazis and blowing things up.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#10]
My favorite is Quake III with the TrueCombat mod installed.

[url]www.truecombat.com[/url]

Internet Fun!
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I head return to castle wolfenstein is good.

I LOVE Counterstrike! (A halflife mod...)

Fun, goal-oriented, neat maps,... all online.

Link Posted: 8/19/2002 11:44:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Played through "SOF 2: Double Helix". It's story is pretty straightforward, if a little cliche. The AI is fairly challenging - BG's evade, run around, seem to work together, & have pretty good aim. I wish there was more of an AI team component (only appears in one level), but as it is, you typically work alone.

The tactics/shooting/CQC are fairly well represented. As in reality, the SG, M4, AK, etc. can actually blow through doors, etc. & take out a BG on the other side; properly clearing rooms & leaning around corners before moving into them are 'musts'; accuracy & shot placement are crucial. Lots of toys to play with. The M4/203 combo is noteable for rating pretty high in the usefulness category.

I've recently been playing the "Random mission generator", which essentially generates a quick mission - escape, infiltrate, assassinate, & demolition - to complete. How sufficently "random" this generator is remains to be seen, though the maps seem to look pretty familiar between the different missions. "Deus Ex" surely has a more compelling storyline, but the tactical component, esp. CQC-style scenarios, is one of its truly strong points. You'll work for your kills.

If you can't make it to a 3-gun match, "SOF2:DH" will ensure that your tactical "lobe" doesn't atrophy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#13]
My personal favorites are the Delta Force series...  1 and 2 are good games, but dated.  DF:Land Warrior is great.  Just bought DF: Task Force Dagger.  It rocks! Fight the Afghanistan campaign, Kandahar, Mazar-e-Sharif, Tora-Bora, it's all there!

For a really retro experience, pull out that old copy of Shadow Warrior.  "Be proud Mr. Woo!"
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 4:46:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If your computer can handle it,....you [b]MUST[/b] get [b]Operation Flashpoint[/b], and the [b]Operation Flashpoint Resistance upgrade[/b]...
and then start downloading addons [:D]
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I found "Global Operations" for $20 at Wal-Mart the other day.  I highly suggest this game.

I'll get the "Delta Force Trilogy" some day, I've played and beat the "Land Warrior" already, but not the others.  I like how "Land Warrior" has bullet drop and windage.  

Oh, and I forgot to mention I had "Navy SEALs" by ValuSoft.  This isn't really that great of a game, unless it's $10 don't bother wasting your money.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I looked at that Global Operations game, but I got the impression it is a multi-player only game...Is this true? Or can you play single player?
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#17]
AMHSix, You can find the DF trilogy at Wally world for $20, but I think that it is DF, DF 2 and DF Land Warrior.  If you have played LW, DF and DF2 will probably make you weep.  DF2 is all right, bullet drop, no recoil.  DFTFG adds many new weapons (Suppressed M4, AK74, M60E3, AW).  Also, when you have been running and try to use a scope, your crosshairs are all over the place until some time passes without running, or you go prone... Sort of like real life...
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I recommend OFP. If you wait until the end of the year. They will release Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis, Red Hammer, and Resistance in one box with the latest patch. As far as Downloads. Wooooooo! There are now more original vehicles then the ones in the game. Seb special forces HUEY is better then any other HUEY i've seen yet. It even looks better then the BlackHawks! [url]www.opflashpoint.org[/url]. Get the latest PBO unpacker and modify other peoples missions (or of course make your own) with cooler add-ons like weapons and Units. Its what i do. Using the PSG-1SD alters how a previous mission is played dramatically.

I thought the enemy AI in SOF2 was cheesy, they hit me with nade launchers grenades without even seeing me. Consistantly.

SWAT3:TGOY is great. I like having to indentify Friend/Foe. Not everyone you meet that is armed is your enemy so you have to be carefull and not "jump the gun". Its great when you get them to surrender peacebly.

Ghost Recon is a good squad based shooter, but expect the same unproned headshots from enemy AI as you did in Rogue Spear. I reccomend downloading SEAL 2.0 from Piccolo at [url]www.theplatoon.com[/url]

HALO fromt he XBOX will be coming out for the PC early next year. Great game.

MOH:AA- get this game if you want to shoot NAZI's. If you want to shoot even more NAZI's get Return to Castle Wolfenstein. If this still does'nt quench your thirst for Facist Cleansing, then go massive multiplay and go for Battlefield 1942.

Not sure if TimeSplitters 2 is coming for the PC or not, but the DEMO for the XBOX and PS2 rocked! better then the first one, more polish and with structured missions like in GoldenEye.

Half-Lib
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Paintball!

Step into the woods, and get a fresh breath of air and paint!!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey libertoon,...I edited the "O.pbo" file for resistance...gave the handguns recoil, AND made them less accurate. Made the FAL more powerfull, and slightly less accurate.
And some other things.

New tool for download on the Czech site "cpptobin" MIGHT let me alter the MAIN config, Im going to start playing with it...If it works I will REALLY be able to "fix" this game [:D]

Also, I edited SEB Delta force to have body armor ([i]they can survive 1 center mass kill shot now, but head shots still kill instantly, and extremities shots still wound[/i]) and I equipped them with Flipers M4A1 pack.
Did the same thing with Skavens 75th Rangers, and Fransens Marines. (I also added Force Recon units to the Marines),...and made all of the above a little more skilled, and better camoflauged.
AND...I edited some weapon addons to make my own versions to equip units with (AK47s AK74s that are [b]NOT[/b] as accurate as a sniper rifle [uzi]...as opposed to the ones the game shipped with)
If you would like a copy of the .cpp files for any of this stuff...let me know[:D]

I tink [b]editing[/b] this game is just as fun as [b]playing[/b] it
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hey libertoon,...I edited the "O.pbo" file for resistance...gave the handguns recoil, AND made them less accurate. Made the FAL more powerfull, and slightly less accurate.
And some other things.

New tool for download on the Czech site "cpptobin" MIGHT let me alter the MAIN config, Im going to start playing with it...If it works I will REALLY be able to "fix" this game [:D]

Also, I edited SEB Delta force to have body armor ([i]they can survive 1 center mass kill shot now, but head shots still kill instantly, and extremities shots still wound[/i]) and I equipped them with Flipers M4A1 pack.
Did the same thing with Skavens 75th Rangers, and Fransens Marines. (I also added Force Recon units to the Marines),...and made all of the above a little more skilled, and better camoflauged.
AND...I edited some weapon addons to make my own versions to equip units with (AK47s AK74s that are [b]NOT[/b] as accurate as a sniper rifle [uzi]...as opposed to the ones the game shipped with)
If you would like a copy of the .cpp files for any of this stuff...let me know[:D]

I tink [b]editing[/b] this game is just as fun as [b]playing[/b] it
View Quote

What do i do with the .cpp file? Do you have them as .pbo files? but i guess that would permamently alter the normal equipment.

Why decrease the accuracy of the FAL and the AK's? I did'nt think they were that accurate to begin with. Fine for about 200 meters. Like in real life.

I'd be interested in a more potent FAL.

There is a new HK pack for the lost brothers. 21mb! worth of HK goodness. i'll have to download it later. There is also an update to the bland looking C-130.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm not a big gamer but I'm currently hooked on  Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
The WWII stuff is fun & I like using the sniper rifles.  The STG44 definitely has muzzle climb!
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 8:21:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Paintball!

Step into the woods, and get a fresh breath of air and paint!!!
View Quote
lol reminds me of the first and last time i went paintballing. took a paint ball right in the mouth thank god for the mask still got a mouth full of paint thu starting hacking and almost puked man paintballs are nasty tasting. only reason i havent gone agien is time to busy with other hobbies.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#25]
COUNTER STRIKE
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What do i do with the .cpp file? Do you have them as .pbo files? but i guess that would permamently alter the normal equipment.
View Quote

The .cpp files are the "brain" of the addon, they defign all of the attributes (accuracy, damage, camoflauge, sensitivity, ect, ect)
You would need to use the DePbo tool (downloadable on most of the addon sites) to open up the .PBO file. inside you will find a bunch of files (one of which is "config.cpp)...just alter the parameters in that file in Wordpad. (or replace it with mine if you like)

Why decrease the accuracy of the FAL and the AK's? I did'nt think they were that accurate to begin with. Fine for about 200 meters. Like in real life.
View Quote

LOL,..you must be kidding [:D]  [b]ALL[/b] of the rifles in OFP are set to "dispertion .0000200" (it has to do with the amount the bullets stray from there path over a given distance)
.0000200 in almost NONE for as far as the bullet travels. (and the AI soldiers are more or less "error free" in there aiming)

In OFP (un-altered) you can hit targets as far away as you can see them with no effort...AKs are like sniper rifles

See,...you can adjust the accuracy for each weapon in each fire mode: I made the AKs somewhat less accurate in single, and ALOT less accurate in full auto. (if you have ever fired an AK47 in full auto...you will understand) [;)]

I made the FAL only slightly less accurate in single, and made it alot less accurate in full auto (it is a 7.62 nato weapon...you are [b]not[/b] going to hold one on target in full auto) [:D]
and I increased its power a litte

There is a new HK pack for the lost brothers. 21mb! worth of HK goodness. i'll have to download it later. There is also an update to the bland looking C-130.
View Quote

Yeah, I havent gotten around to downloading it though "21 freakin megabites" lol...it does look pretty nice though.

[b]BY THE WAY...Fliper has updated his M4s again[/b] He fixed the textures on the left side (no more ejection port on both sides)
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I did'nt know about the dispertion .0000200 thingy. The AK weapon site view is harder to use then the scope crosshairs or the M16 reticule. So i mean that I cant hit peeps with it as well as other weapons in the game. front site post is to large/wide. Still you should be able to hit a man sized target at 300m.-at wich range they are small anyways. I rarely engage enemies in OFP at distances over 300m unless im using a sniper or im "Tank Sniping".

I think the pistols are to accurate at a distance. I hit a soldier at nearly 100 meters away. Sights dead on. whatever. What the game really needs is bullet drop.

The accuracy of the AK-47 on full-auto should be less then the AK-74 with its muzzle brake. Did you take the muzzle breaks into accout?

I have a PBO unpacker, but i cant pack it back into a PBO file.

Link Posted: 9/17/2002 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think the pistols are too accurate at a distance. I hit a soldier at nearly 100 meters away. Sights dead on. whatever. What the game really needs is bullet drop.
View Quote

I made the pistols way less accurate, AND gave them recoil.

The accuracy of the AK-47 on full-auto should be less then the AK-74 with its muzzle brake. Did you take the muzzle breaks into accout?
View Quote

[:D] Yes...I did.
I also made versions of the AK47 that can be used if you want to make "unskilled" units...(like terrorists, or civ criminals) that ONLY fire on full auto, and are even a little more inaccurate. I took some East units, and some Resistance units that I equipped with these,...and made them have a firefight.
They actually fired hundreds of rounds at each other, hitting bystanders, parked cars, and of course each other.....as opposed to the original characters who ALWAYS use disciplined, short bursts.

I have a PBO unpacker, but i cant pack it back into a PBO file.
View Quote

the tool called "PBO Tool" does both, and it works very well. You can get it at the same place.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll have to download it when the editing center comes back. Maybe the AvonLady will have a link to it.

at [url]http://www.opflashpoint.org[/url] they have new variants of the M21 and an M14 i like better then the one from the Taiwan workshop. I downloaded about 20mb worth of ofp shit today. I'll have to get that new HK pack this weekend.

a couple of the M21's are silenced.

The Taiwan workshop is working on a nicer M249 and will be out soon.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#31]
the Editing Center has been back up for awhile now. it has a new address: [url]http://www.ofpec.com/[/url]

But for downloading stuff, I like this site better:
[url]http://ofp.gamezone.cz/[/url]
and they have links to alot of other stuff too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#32]
IMHO, for pure unadulterated FPS pleasure there is currently no better game on planet Earth than Counter-Strike. I see that it's been mentioned a couple times in this thread, but i'm surprised it's not the overwhelming recommendation from just about everyone.

Right now, and at any given moment, there are as many as 65,000 people playing online all over the world...

For those unfamiliar, Counter-Strike (or CS) is a mod of Half-Life. I've played just about all the other games mentioned here, and while many are quite good, time and again I've returned to CS. For simplicity of gameplay and freedom of movement, mission-specific strategies and variety of maps, and really really cool weapons (even cooler if you install skins like the Vulcan Minigun!!), you'll be hard pressed to have more fun shooting Terrorists (or Counter-Terrorists if you choose to be the bad guy).

Here are some useful links:

www.counter-strike.net
www.csnation.counter-strike.net
www.cs-skins.net

Ask your doctor of Counter-Strike is right for you. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#33]
CounterStrike was okay when I was first getting into mods, but then it just started to suck.

The community for CS basically sucks, to a huge extent.   The game play gets very cut&paste so that in no time you're bored out of your skull.

The happiest day of my life was when I deleted CS from my system and never looked back.    I keep Halflife installed for one mod and one mod only, the Firearms mod.

For all that bunnyhoping crapfest stuff that CS provides, I'll fire up Tactical Ops mod for UnrealTournament where atleast there the graphics can really wipe the floor with CS.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#34]
If my home PC were online, i'd probably play Day of Defeat more than CS. Just my tast.

The new Unreal game looks nicer. Forgot what its subtitle is.

CS:condition zero should turn out nice except for the lame stereotyping of US militia.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Half Life is still my #1 favorite.  The weapons aren't too realistic, but I love the game play and story.

I wish there were a little more roleplaying involved (like Deus Ex), but it's still my choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top