Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2011 9:54:15 AM EDT
Anyone else getting this today?  Mine is downloading (on PC) at the moment.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/info/dlc/
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I just finished it (PC) and was, well, unimpressed.

No real RPG elements or decisions; mostly just pure cover-based shooting although it did have some interesting new stealth options and other little things that kept it fresh enough to hold my interest.  Dialogue was OK, but there wasn't enough of it.  You play by yourself most of the time (no squadmates) except for a short part where you play with a completely unmemorable character.  

The events in the DLC do definitely sound like they will have an effect on ME3 as the devs have claimed, but as I mentioned before there wasn't any choice in how you resolved the mission - the ending is the same no matter how you play it; and frankly there was no reason to care about it anyway; no emotional connection.  

Plus the whole thing seemed really, really short, even though I wasn't expecting much to begin with.  Finished it in about an hour on hardcore mode, without skipping any dialogue.

Overall it was OK and worth the 7 dollars I payed for it, I guess.  There were some pretty good things about it, and nothing about it was particularly bad (except it's short length).  But it certainly wasn't nearly as good as the shadow broker DLC, and I personally don't think it was as good as the overlord DLC either, or even the Zaeed and Kasumi DLC.  As someone who has played both ME1 and ME2, and is looking forward to ME3, this was pretty underwhelming for me.  

Too bad Bioware has said this is the last ME2 DLC; they went out with a whimper instead of a bang IMO.
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Shit, I only got my Cerberus account working yesterday!

Link Posted: 3/29/2011 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, and to those of you who are considering buying it, the dialogue is definitely weighted toward you finishing the final ME2 mission first (although you can play it from any point after the first collector mission, IIRC), so if you haven't already i would complete the game before buying or playing this DLC.
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't played or downloaded it yet, but the reviews are less than impressive
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's not bad, but I think everyone (myself included) was spoiled by the excellent lair of the shadow broker DLC and expected something similar, especially for a last DLC installment.  It certainly wasn't at that level.

Link Posted: 3/29/2011 11:56:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not bad, but I think everyone (myself included) was spoiled by the excellent lair of the shadow broker DLC and expected something similar, especially for a last DLC installment.  It certainly wasn't at that level.

I'm not sure WTF Bioware was thinking here. Their thought process seems to have been, "let's take out all the things that make Mass Effect 2 great", such as your interactions with teammates, being given choices that have differing effects on the story, etc etc.

Between this and Dragon Age 2, I fear for the Bioware and the direction they seem to be taking their games.
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 12:03:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure WTF Bioware was thinking here. Their thought process seems to have been, "let's take out all the things that make Mass Effect 2 great", such as your interactions with teammates, being given choices that have differing effects on the story, etc etc.

Between this and Dragon Age 2, I fear for the Bioware and the direction they seem to be taking their games.

Translation:

Mass Effect 3 is probably going to end up disappointing.
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 12:14:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't play DA2, so I can't comment on that.  But in a way, I can understand why they went with fewer dialogue options or action choices even if I didn't like it,  Without getting into spoilers for anyone who hasn't played it yet, this DLC is certainly setting up the starting events for ME3, and as such needs to be relatively linear or the beginning of ME3 won't make sense.  They did that sort of thing at the beginning of ME2 as well.

Only time will tell, I guess.  I try not to get my hopes up too high.  "Fans love to become victims of their own expectations."
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 12:16:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Ahhhh fuck, spoilers without spoiler tags. Unsubscribing.
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 12:20:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Translation:

If past trends are any indication, ME1 was an RPG, ME2 was a 3rd person shooter with some heavy RPG elements, and so ME3 will be Gears of War with better voice acting.

Link Posted: 3/30/2011 12:23:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sorry dude, my bad.  Edited it out.

Link Posted: 3/30/2011 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry dude, my bad.  Edited it out.

Okay, I'm back because you're a cool dude.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Translation:

If past trends are any indication, ME1 was an RPG, ME2 was a 3rd person shooter with some heavy RPG elements, and so ME3 will be Gears of War with better voice acting.

Link Posted: 3/31/2011 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Translation:

I'll laugh now, because I'll be crying when ME3 is released.
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got done playing it myself. If that DLC is what ME3 is going to be, then god help Bioware and all of us. That DLC was Mass Effect turned into a corridor shooter . Bioware's idea of exploration was making one or two side rooms with some items in them. Dear god.
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I've downloaded it but haven't played it yet.  As far as the comments about it ending the same way no matter how you play, that is to be expected.  If ME3 is still on track to be released later this year, then it might be too late for them to release DLC that could alter how ME3 would start.  Not being able to bring your teammates along does sound like a mistake since the characters are what really make the game.  That was my biggest complaint with the DLC for Dragon Age Origins.
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just got done playing it myself. If that DLC is what ME3 is going to be, then god help Bioware and all of us. That DLC was Mass Effect turned into a corridor shooter . Bioware's idea of exploration was making one or two side rooms with some items in them. Dear god.

Again though, I think it's too hard to say for sure about ME3 based on this offering.  Remember that there were some  very scripted corridor shooter levels in both ME1 and ME2, but nobody complained about them.  It's all in the presentation of it and how you intersperse it with more open-ended segments, which they admittedly did not do so well.  But how could they in an hour long DLC?  This had a very specific purpose, which was to advance the plot in a very particular direction to set up ME3.  I think that gameplay fell in second place to getting the story told well.  Not that it was necessarily a good idea to do so, but I understand why they may have thought it was necessary, especially if they had budget constraints.  

Perhaps they will return to their roots in ME3.  Bioware already have stated that they are getting rid of ME2's planet scanning in favor of the old ME1 style land-and-explore model, so it seems that they are getting at least some things right.
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again though, I think it's too hard to say for sure about ME3 based on this offering.  Remember that there were some  very scripted corridor shooter levels in both ME1 and ME2, but nobody complained about them.  It's all in the presentation of it and how you intersperse it with more open-ended segments, which they admittedly did not do so well.  But how could they in an hour long DLC?  This had a very specific purpose, which was to advance the plot in a very particular direction to set up ME3.  I think that gameplay fell in second place to getting the story told well.  Not that it was necessarily a good idea to do so, but I understand why they may have thought it was necessary, especially if they had budget constraints.  

Perhaps they will return to their roots in ME3.  Bioware already have stated that they are getting rid of ME2's planet scanning in favor of the old ME1 style land-and-explore model, so it seems that they are getting at least some things right.

Maybe it's just me but it felt odd to have such a major decision for shephard in a late DLC offering.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 11:13:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe it's just me but it felt odd to have such a major decision for shephard in a late DLC offering.

Click To View Spoiler

If they had put it in the main game, you wouldn't have given 7 extra dollars to bioware. .  I'm sure they'll have a 30 second rundown of the events for the ME3 players who never bothered with this DLC.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 11:24:59 PM EDT
[#19]
bah.  DT.

Link Posted: 4/2/2011 2:08:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

If they had put it in the main game, you wouldn't have given 7 extra dollars to bioware. .  I'm sure they'll have a 30 second rundown of the events for the ME3 players who never bothered with this DLC.

Click To View Spoiler

I find that I am going to regret a lot of my decisions from ME1 . In ME1 I went hardcore renegade and pretty much fucked over everyone.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 2:18:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

I find that I am going to regret a lot of my decisions from ME1 . In ME1 I went hardcore renegade and pretty much fucked over everyone.

Click To View Spoiler
I tried to do make a hardcore renegade run, but I just couldn't do it.  It just felt wrong playing as a major asshole.

Link Posted: 4/2/2011 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Same here.  I would do poorly in a SHTF situation.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler
I tried to do make a hardcore renegade run, but I just couldn't do it.  It just felt wrong playing as a major asshole.

I have a feeling the paragon path through 1ME1 and ME2 will make life easier in ME3.  The fate of the heretic geth and whether or or not you nuked the collector station should be interesting.  The ending of the arrival could make things interesting as well.

Have any of you gotten through the horde mode sequence at the artifact?
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 12:38:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

I have a feeling the paragon path through 1ME1 and ME2 will make life easier in ME3.  The fate of the heretic geth and whether or or not you nuked the collector station should be interesting.  The ending of the arrival could make things interesting as well.

Have any of you gotten through the horde mode sequence at the artifact?

I think that I have my work cut out for me in ME3. By being a dick in ME1 I lost a lot of useful allies (Wrex, Rachni queen, etc). By being a nice guy in ME2 and Click To View Spoiler I lost a valuable asset as well

I survived all the waves of the horde sequence. It was a pain in the balls. I camped in a corner and spammed biotics.
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Using cloak at the horde sequence helped me.  Just cloak and run all the way to the other side and resume attacking.

I played ME1 through twice (even with horrible BSOD errors) as full paragon and full renegade, then followed through on ME2 several times on each, changing some decisions for the 3rd and 4th times.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out in ME3.
Link Posted: 4/6/2011 11:16:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Someone care to share a spoiler-clad Cliff Notes on the plot for those of us unlikely to buy this DLC?
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 3:41:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Someone care to share a spoiler-clad Cliff Notes on the plot for those of us unlikely to buy this DLC?

Here you go:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here you go:

Click To View Spoiler

So essentially they had to bring everyone to a single plot point before #3. Instead of blowing up Shepard in the first five min, they did it through playable DLC. I can live with it.

Link Posted: 4/7/2011 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks, Robo!

Link Posted: 4/7/2011 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go:

Click To View Spoiler

So essentially they had to bring everyone to a single plot point before #3. Instead of blowing up Shepard in the first five min, they did it through playable DLC. I can live with it.

Well if they were truly going to bring "everyone" to the same point then they would have ended ME2 or started ME3 the way they did with this DLC. This DLC only brings some people to a certain point. Bioware will need to figure out how to bring the non-DLC buyers into the same place.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 4:20:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Using cloak at the horde sequence helped me.  Just cloak and run all the way to the other side and resume attacking.

I played ME1 through twice (even with horrible BSOD errors) as full paragon and full renegade, then followed through on ME2 several times on each, changing some decisions for the 3rd and 4th times.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out in ME3.

Did your ME1 saves heavily influence your options/events in ME2?  I played on the console for ME2 so I didn't get to carry over my save.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did your ME1 saves heavily influence your options/events in ME2?  I played on the console for ME2 so I didn't get to carry over my save.

There were a number of differences in ME2 which were dependent on your actions in ME1. I found that one of the problems I had was in ME2 I had forgotten a lot of the minor decisions that I had made in ME1, so when a character would make reference to something in ME1 I was kind of scratching my head going "who the hell was that?".
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, the next game informer is coming out with ME3 beign the major headline, and it looks like I was right about the major plot points of The Arrival DLC playing out at the beginning of ME3.  About as predictable as the sun rising in the east, but still could be good.  

Click To View Spoiler

Also, they claim to have put back many of the RPG elements they removed from ME2, so I have hope for it yet.

ETA Disclaimer:  This is ll technically just rumor based off of screenshots of the magazine's pages because the GI magazine isn't out until later this month, IIRC.  So this might all just be a crock of shit, too.  But the screenshots looked legit to me.

Also, link to MOAR article.  Spoiler alert if you go there, though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Translation:

Firstly, remember that Bioware has 4 separate dev teams.  I doubt they are the same for ME and DA, but I could be wrong.  Secondly, Bioware just announced that they are cranking up the RPG elements in ME3.  Signs show that it will work out, but you never know.......I just hope they don't mess up this awesome franchise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top