Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2010 2:21:29 PM EDT
Ok sick for the third day in a row and all alone in the house so I need something to pass the time.  Gonna pick up Mass Effect 2 for later but in the mood for a medieval game.  Which is better Oblivion or Dragon Age Origins for Xbox 360
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Have both enjoyed both... Oblivion is alot more involved then DA though I have the GOTY Oblivion with the expansions have like 90 hours in it and i havent finished it yet.. DA takes under 50 to beat. Graphically neither are spectacular DA being 2 years newer does look a bit better. Oblivion's open world like Fallout3(it pretty much is fallout skinned in medieval d&d world) you can wander around, where as DA you pick your destination from the map.

I'd pick Oblivion GOTY.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:23:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I have not played DA, but I have played Oblivion (a whole hell of a lot).  I would say that Oblivion is one of the best games I have ever played, even for being 5 years old the graphics are still pretty damn good.  There is so much stuff to do in Oblivion that every time I play through the game I find something new ( I have played through it about 3-4 times).  If you are into dungeon crawling and leveling up and exploring large open worlds this game will give you a lot of hours of play time.  As someone else said, it is similar to Fallout 3, but I actually liked it a lot better than Fallout because you cannot skip large portions of the story on accident and when you finish the last mission you can still play other side quests.  Also there are several expansions to the game, a couple small ones and a couple larger ones.  Shivering Isles is definitely something I would recommend getting, the new world it opens up is huge and really fun.

On a side note, Mass Effect 2 is an amazing game too (it is my other favorite game ever).

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#3]
They are both great, but Oblivion is much bigger. I liked the group fighting aspect in DA.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:35:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help guys.  Picked up Oblivion and ME2.  Trying Ob out first as a thief.  See how this goes!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Oblivion is an amazing game, but it's fairly dated these days.  If you're going to pick up Oblivion, get it for the PC.  For a four year old game, it looks pretty damn amazing with the right mods.  You can pick up the GotY edition on Steam for $25.

Dragon Age is also an amazing game.  Sadly, it's also much better on the PC than the 360.  It is better balanced, has better graphics, and offers a superior range of views.  My wife played it on the PS3, though, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Honestly, they're both excellent titles, and I'm sure you'll enjoy either of them.  If you're looking for a cheap game that is ridiculously open-ended, go with Oblivion.  If you don't mind spending a little more and you prefer a rich but relatively linear storyline, Dragon Age is the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I played both and enjoyed Oblivion more.

Dragon Age seemed pretty underwhelming to me.  The main idea of the story (and backstory - I read two of the books) is awesome, combat is okay, but overall, the gameplay, pacing and actual story of the game are lacking.  I feel the same way about Mass Effect 2.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:52:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Dragon Age seemed pretty underwhelming to me.  The main idea of the story (and backstory - I read two of the books) is awesome, combat is okay, but overall, the gameplay, pacing and actual story of the game are lacking.  I feel the same way about Mass Effect 2.

Blasphemer!
I thought ME2 was amazing.  Just out of curiosity what didnt you like about it?

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I really enjoyed the story in Dragon Age: Origins, even if it was fairly cliche.  The books, on the other hand, were mediocre at best.  "The Stolen Throne" was particularly bad, and had one of the worst (non-existent) endings I've ever encountered.  The entire novel covers the history behind Ferelden's occupation by Orlais.  Just as the rebels start gaining some ground and winning a couple of minor victories, BAM, book's over.  It's kinda like writing about World War II and covering every event in detail up to the planning of Normandy, then having a single sentence that says, "...and the allies won."

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok played through to delivering the amulet with the thief and deciding that I hate using a bow.  So now that I restarted with a female warrior.  I have to say that leveling up is a lot harder than I thought it would be.  I was getting my ass handed to me by everyone including rats and mud crab till I realized the game started with the difficulty almost all the way to the right.  Adjusted that and now she's kicking some serious butt.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ok played through to delivering the amulet with the thief and deciding that I hate using a bow.  So now that I restarted with a female warrior.  I have to say that leveling up is a lot harder than I thought it would be.  I was getting my ass handed to me by everyone including rats and mud crab till I realized the game started with the difficulty almost all the way to the right.  Adjusted that and now she's kicking some serious butt.

Using the bow is difficult if you dont have a stealth class.  The characters that I played that used the bow were stealth characters who had sneak leveled up and used chameleon so the enemy could not see them.  When you hit them with an arrow while undetected it gives you a big damage multiplier.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blasphemer!
I thought ME2 was amazing.  Just out of curiosity what didnt you like about it?

The combat in ME2 was too much FPS.  Not necessarily a bad thing (it was well done), but not really what I wanted.  I don't mind (and fully expect) side quests, but the main story really felt like a series of side quests very thinly held together by the overall goal.  In addition the missions to recruit the characters, while mostly fun and engaging, felt forced.  I never felt a sense of urgency; that there is this great threat that must be confronted in the face of imminent destruction - no sense of epicness.

Please don't misunderstand: it was a fun game, that I'm glad I played.  It's just average, not earth shattering awesome.  (although in this day and age, games aren't what they used to be so it really is above average...)
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#12]
i never finished oblivion. i was doing all the guild quests and barely started the main quest. put it on the back burner for too long then forgot how to play and what i was doing. was in a dark cave full of demons.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:29:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Get both!

I played Oblivion a couple of years ago, and it was very, very good.  My first foray into the Elder Scrolls games.  If they do another one, I'll definitely pick it up.
I picked up DA:O on Steam sale a couple of months back, and I'm playing it now.  It is AWESOME.  It's slower-paced than some other games, but I don't mind at all.  It fits its epic style. Lots of dialogue and stuff to read. Great characters and storyline so far.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I wish they would remake morrowind, that was the best rpg ever
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bugs and graphics aside, it was better than Oblivion.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:20:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah it was buggy and the graphics weren't the best, but overall I really enjoyed it.  Oblivion took all of the exploration and wonder out by hand holding you through the whole game.  

I like how morrowind just dropped you off and said figure it out
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah it was buggy and the graphics weren't the best, but overall I really enjoyed it.  Oblivion took all of the exploration and wonder out by hand holding you through the whole game.  

I like how morrowind just dropped you off and said figure it out

A lot of games do hold your hand too much nowadays.  One thing I like about DA:O is that while the game does have the quest markers on your map, you can turn them off in the options.

Can you imagine gamers trying to play The Bard's Tale nowadays, even with updated graphics and interface?  You had to draw your own dungeon maps on graph paper, by gum!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have been wanting to play Morrowind for a while, how much of a difference is there between PC and console?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#19]
If you can deal with hoofing your ass over long distances at a slow pace, and a whacked out combat system. Get morrowind.

If you want to be babied and spoon fed, get oblivion.

If you played and enjoyed the original Never winter nights, get dragon age.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have been wanting to play Morrowind for a while, how much of a difference is there between PC and console?

Go PC. Mods, and the ability to unfuck your character if he gets stuck in the enviorment are well worth it.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Go PC. Mods, and the ability to unfuck your character if he gets stuck in the enviorment are well worth it.

This.  IMO, it's almost not worth playing on a console.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#22]
i'd vote for Borderlands, if you want to lose yourself in a game, or a close second, Fallout 3.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Is the difficulty adjustable on the 360 version? I played the shit out of Oblivion a couple years ago when I was sidelined after surgery. It was a great game but I got to a point where every single creature in the game was beating the shit out of me. The only hope I had for survival was to walk in, draw (hopefully) only 1-2 of the pack of 20 away, kill, heal and repeat.

I much prefered the playstyle of Fallout 3 where the enemies didn't "level with you". You learned pretty fast in Fallout 3 where you were hooah enough to venture and where you weren't.

Oblivion? Not so much...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:51:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I voted for Oblivion just because of the more open world style. If you have a PS3 go for Demon's Soul. Awesome game but very challenging.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is the difficulty adjustable on the 360 version? I played the shit out of Oblivion a couple years ago when I was sidelined after surgery. It was a great game but I got to a point where every single creature in the game was beating the shit out of me. The only hope I had for survival was to walk in, draw (hopefully) only 1-2 of the pack of 20 away, kill, heal and repeat.

I much prefered the playstyle of Fallout 3 where the enemies didn't "level with you". You learned pretty fast in Fallout 3 where you were hooah enough to venture and where you weren't.

Oblivion? Not so much...

Yes, the difficulty is adjustable on the 360.

All the enemies leveling with you was the one slight downside to Oblivion for me as well.  Overall it is an amazing game, but I think that is the one area that could have been better.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oblivion? Not so much...

Yes, the difficulty is adjustable on the 360.

All the enemies leveling with you was the one slight downside to Oblivion for me as well.  Overall it is an amazing game, but I think that is the one area that could have been better.

Yeah, common road bandits with rare magical armor was a tad unrealistic....

"Gimme some coins!  My family gotta eat!"

"Dude, just sell your armor.  You can get 5000 gold for the set.  That should let you retire."

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Right now I have a silver long sword that does 7 damage.  Is that good or still crap?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:40:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Right now I have a silver long sword that does 7 damage.  Is that good or still crap?

In Oblivion?  It depends on your progress in the game.  If you're right at the beginning, that's a decent weapon.  If you're fighting minotaurs, then you're dead.

But hang onto at least one silver weapon at all times.  Some enemies are only able to be damaged by silver or magic.

Are you just starting out?  Are you in the imperial City?  Do the quest for the merchant committee to find out how one of the merchants is undercutting them.  You'll get a good weapon at the end that should last you a little while.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:58:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

In Oblivion?  It depends on your progress in the game.  If you're right at the beginning, that's a decent weapon.  If you're fighting minotaurs, then you're dead.
But hang onto at least one silver weapon at all times.  Some enemies are only able to be damaged by silver or magic.

Are you just starting out?  Are you in the imperial City?  Do the quest for the merchant committee to find out how one of the merchants is undercutting them.  You'll get a good weapon at the end that should last you a little while.

I joined the Fighters Guild and have been doing those quests.  Just did the painting quest and took an Orc knight to a rebel camp
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top