Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2010 11:03:33 PM EDT
This game was just release (available on GamersGate, Direct2Drive, and Impulse(impulse release it on the 23rd)), and it looks pretty damn cool

Some info about it

Vast, Procedurally Generated Galaxies

* Choose however many systems you desire; you are limited only by the speed of your cpu
   * Rich, diverse, planets whose type, size, number of moons, and other characteristics vary
   * Full 3D too much to handle? Flatten maps for ease of interaction
   * Alter the Galaxy throughout the game with advanced technology

Intricate Ship Design and Exciting Combat

* Massive ship battles fought in real-time with particle effects and directional damage
   * Ships whose individual components can be compromised, destroyed, disabled, repaired, and renovated
   * Ships depend on key components to keep functioning, and failures can lead to catastrophic explosions which can turn the tide of battle
   * Add components that modify the behavior of connected components, such as added health from bulkheads, or faster firing from coolant systems
   * Save and load your custom ships and settings to your profile for easy importation and exportation.
   * Fully simulated newtonian physics

Unique Research System

* Unique Web-Like Research system with unexpected discoveries around every turn
   * Choose between a structured, static web, or a highly varied web each game
   * Develop technologies that lead to different strategies, rather than simply better tools

Easy to use interface, complex gameplay

* Govern your planets with a simple yet powerful interface to customize the behavior of your worlds
   * Numerous easy-to-use interfaces which provide quick solutions to specific problems
   * Customize the GUI via scripting; add new windows, or change pre-existing interface behavior

Engaging AI Opponents

* Choose from various levels of difficulty, with optional 'cheating' AIs
   * Watch for the AIs to attempt different strategies to defeat their opponents
   * Counter their new ship designs, as they adapt their designs to counter your own
   * Engage in complex diplomatic interaction with your opponents

Extensive Modding Support

* Modify data files and scripts in any editor as simple as Notepad
   * Use developr tools to create particle effects and configure imported models
   * Smart use of AngelScript allows users to create entirely new gamemodes, gameplay, and online experiences
   * All files from the base game are readily available to learn from

Multiplayer: Co-Op, Team, and Free-for-all

* Play with as many competitors as your server can manage, with drop-in-drop-out compatibility
   * Supports both internet and LAN play
   * Dedicated Servers
   * Standard server controls
   * Seamless transitioning: Multiplayer games can be saved and then played in Singleplayer and then brought back up in Multiplayer

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Here's an interview with one of their two Developers.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

the developer Firgof also answered some questions on the Penny arcade site. (i quoted some of the stuff on the first page)

Howdy folks, I'm Firgof; co-lead developer of the game. Just wanted to drop by and let y'all know that if you want to ask any questions to feel free to shoot from the hip. I'll answer anything I can, starting with:

I guess the one thing I want to know is "how much scaling is there to technology?"

Well, Technology continues onward to some obscenely large number; it's effectively "infinite" (for those programmers wondering "how infinite is it?" it's like e+24 or something ridiculous) levels. Each level of a technology represents a 50% increase in the efficiency of stuff related to that technology. In this manner, subsystems (ship components) which you unlock through the Research system become more 'alternatives' to each other rather than "Now I have Rainbow Lasers, which totally obsolete these IR Lasers that I just had".

If they make all the stuff you unlock through tech discoveries more unique and just let you continually develop and refine the bits you want ala Space Empires V, that would be a game-seller for me.
Yep, that's pretty much what we're doing.

Crudely, the randomization that we're talking about (by default) is that the Nodes get shuffled every playthrough. The Nodes are little 'sub-technologies' almost. We make a number of them when we create a technology and tell them what they're to link to. When we shuffle them, the position that the Nodes occupy moves around. Also, there can be Dead End nodes (which don't link to anything) so that makes random positioning an important decision. This is absolutely modable of course, so you can make tiered tech-trees and whatnot with a little bit of brain and finger power.

Besides, indie devs with interesting ideas should be encouraged.

Thanks! You just helped me pay for a new HDD and my rent; important, as my current HDD is failing, causing all sorts of trouble for us and our development schedule and my rent is already taking up more than I can afford on my own without help from pre-order sales. Oh, and some of it also was given to our contracted artist and musician of course. In short: you guys are awesome. I expected maybe 25 pre-orders before we hit release and didn't know how I'd pay for rent or food. 178 pre-orders later, y'all have taught me not to underestimate the 4X community. :p

EDIT: Am I the only one who's getting giddy at that line about altering the galaxy with advanced tech? Stellar Manipulation is one of my favorite aspects of Space Empires, and if they gimmie stuff like that and some of the stuff I recall being hinted at in the Something Awful thread like turning entire planets into ballistic weapons, mwahahahahahahahaha!

:crosses fingers: It isn't going to be too tough to get those in-game but given the recent spate of trouble with hardware I'm hoping we have enough time to toss them in before release. If not, they'll be in shortly thereafter in a patch.

lack of Steam support makes me sad.

Us too. We're on our second request to Steam to get the game on the service. Last time we requested to get the game on the service they told us there were too many titles similar to ours up there after a couple months of back and forth.

We figured there must have been some miscommunication but we don't know as they never e-mailed us back. We're not too hopeful that it'll get up on there any time soon, they did not download any of the review builds we sent them from what our systems tell us.

We're working on alternative avenues for y'all if you GamersGate is not one of your preferred web-stores. I can't name names at the moment but we think we'll have our bases pretty much covered by Release.

How is research handled in general? Is it sort of a GalCiv "Focus all our scientists on one thing!" or the slightly more fun "Focus all our scientists on a general area of research", or is is closer to SEV/MoO3/MoO1 where you can assign percentages of research funding to specific areas or technologies, and if you want you can fund everything or spread it out?

Or is it something even more crazy? And with the branching node thing, is it, like I assume and hope, a hidden from the user tech tree, so you get to go on a wonderful journey of discovery along with your race?

In the default game, research can only be dedicated to one discipline of science at any given time. You have a research queue which you can manage while you play (complete with repeating researches and so forth) so that research may continue along the paths that you'd desire while you work with other parts of your Empire.

Of course you may override what you're researching at any time and specify another research. The amount of time you've put into a technology isn't lost by switching to other techs.

Important to note here is that technologies don't just unlock subsystems, they affect your Empire broadly. For instance, Metallurgy unlocks things like the Repair Tool which allows you to shoot friendly ships with repair beams but also affects the amount of storage, production rate, and cost of your land-based structures. Some technologies are more focused in application than others (for instance, Shields) but on the whole they all provide benefits other than just unlocking other technologies, updating current subsystems, or unlocking new subsystems.

All technologies are visible from the start of the game by default but the paths to get to them are not known. This is learned through exploring the Nodes and through logical inference. (For instance, one of the nodes on Ship Construction leads to the Armor technology)

You can change all of this with a text editor such as notepad right from the moment you install the game if you wish. Mods will have access to change the most basic natures of technological development in Star Ruler; if our technological research system doesn't fit your playstyle, developing a mod that does shouldn't be too difficult with time and familiarity with how modding Star Ruler works.

I have a question: how many lasers on screen can your game produce at one time?

And a follow up: can I develop a superweapon that allows me to cause a star to go nova?

(1) I'm not sure. A lot. I had I think 74 Fighters blasting a planet with lasers that fired 24~ shots per second a while ago and encountered a bit of slow down but I know we can produce more than that. Engine limitation wise: It's a pretty big number I think; 50,000 or something I'd bet. Granted, you'll start experiencing slowdowns when you start spamming continuous fire lasers (I believe due to the particle effects; we're investigating it)

(2)Yes. In fact, normal weapons can do enough damage to cause a star to nova should your technology be high enough and you devote enough time to manufacture a ship blueprint which would allow you to cause enough damage that you get over the star's damage-soak. Note: damaging the Quasar in the center of the galaxy will take significantly more firepower than a normal star to destroy. The Directed Spatial Fold Manipulator SuperWeapon comes with more than enough alpha to penetrate all the way to a star's core, for instance.

Now for videos

Sense of Scale

Small gameplay video

Galactic sized ship someone made

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:07:24 PM EDT
[#1]
No matter who tries, Master of Orion II has yet to be 'beat' in this genre....
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

MoO is indeed the game to try and beat.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Except by MOO 1.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 1:15:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Didnt take long before someone modded in a Star Destroyer

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#5]
This.Looks.Fun.

I want a spaceship bigger than a galaxy!
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll check it out. Any word if the AI is stupid or if it actually has some intelligence?

I used to play Space Empires V but I got sick and tired of the AI always sending 1 ship at a time into my main sector where the jump point is protected by a few dozen torpedo satellites, star bases, and an space armada of ships. Then the AI bitches about how I'm being evil for blowing up their colony ships which invade my space, declares war on me(never mind the fact that I have 100 times the fighting force they do and I'm several technological generations past them) in response I blow up one of their planets then demand their surrender, which of course is refused. I then ignore them for a while. A few turns later they are asking for peace.

Another example of how bad the AI is in SEV, there was a time when I had over reached my empire and had 6 very important resource plants defended with only 12 destroyers in the entire sector. No planetary defences built. The AI had 50 battleships lurking around in the sector. I was sweating for quite a few turns trying to build up as many weapon defense platforms as I could. At one point I said "fuck it I'm foing" If I didn't get these planets secured and back to producing resources my empire was boned. So I send in my 12 destroyers and wiped out those 50 battleships like they were nothing. . The AI didn't even put up a fight. Because of his weakness I ended up blow up its main solar system. Normally I like to capture heavily populated planets for the resources and production abilites but I had to purge the galaxy of that genetically inferior species.

I did play Masters of Orion 3(still have the CDs around here somewhere) I didn't care too much for it because there was no way to retofit your ships.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm interested, but I'd like a demo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Wait, no stellar manipulation? Creating centralized jump point hubs around sphere worlds is a critical piece of my galaxy domination plans. 1)It makes defending my systems all that much easier. I have yet to see an armada break through the defenses I set up. 2)Jumping in reenforcements behind enemy lines to met his retreating forces always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling as I destory what's left of his excuse of an attack fleet.

I would like to see a 4x game that has some type of hyperspace like in Babylon 5 where you're not required to jump between stars on a fixed route thus allowing you to flank defense setup near jump gates.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wait, no stellar manipulation? Creating centralized jump point hubs around sphere worlds is a critical piece of my galaxy domination plans. 1)It makes defending my systems all that much easier. I have yet to see an armada break through the defenses I set up. 2)Jumping in reenforcements behind enemy lines to met his retreating forces always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling as I destory what's left of his excuse of an attack fleet.

I would like to see a 4x game that has some type of hyperspace like in Babylon 5 where you're not required to jump between stars on a fixed route thus allowing you to flank defense setup near jump gates.

from what i've read , yes there is stellar Manipulation.

you can blow up planets and stars, there will be dyson spheres (may not be in the game yet) and there are ring worlds.

and according to the devs you will be able to place engines on planets and move them (may not be in the game yet), combine that with the planned ram order for ships and you get some entertainment.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:59:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you can blow up planets and stars, there will be dyson spheres (may not be in the game yet) and there are ring worlds.

and according to the devs you will be able to place engines on planets and move them (may not be in the game yet), combine that with the planned ram order for ships and you get some entertainment.

Sweet Jesus!

World Ships for the FTMFW!
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 6:29:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweet Jesus!

World Ships for the FTMFW!
You mean I can play out Invader Zim?!

WIN!!!!

(fun starts at 8:00)

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks kinda cool. $24 is very affordable. I've been playing Space Empires V a lot and I've been looking for something similar that doesn't suck!
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

+1  
It's still the best by a long shot.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:11:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Well shit. I went to Direct2Drive to buy this game to try it out, and I must have clicked twice on the checkout or something cause I have two purchases on this game.

I'm gonna be at work soon though, but if it's possible to gift it to someone, let me know if you want it. I don't know how I can send you the link to download it though.

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well shit. I went to Direct2Drive to buy this game to try it out, and I must have clicked twice on the checkout or something cause I have two purchases on this game.

I'm gonna be at work soon though, but if it's possible to gift it to someone, let me know if you want it. I don't know how I can send you the link to download it though.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/135/l_49212023cf5c4025917de72e5d066336.jpg

That is a costly double tap
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/135/l_49212023cf5c4025917de72e5d066336.jpg

You mean their customer service won't see that as an obvious double click and make the adjustment? I'd call the credit card company if that were the case.

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean their customer service won't see that as an obvious double click and make the adjustment? I'd call the credit card company if that were the case.

Was on a debit card, but I haven't even had time to contest the purchase.

If I can, I'll just gift it to an arfcommer since I have been meaning to repay a bronze star subscription back to the hive.

(PS. I already have someone first on the list.)

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Got a refund on that second purchase.

Updated the graphics drivers so the game would actually work (I'm on a crappy laptop). But so far it runs pretty well. Going from a 4x game like Space Empires V to this is like jumping right into the deep end of the pool without swimming lessons though. I had to run through the tutorial so I can understand how everything works.

I only ran through the tutorial and haven't really played through any game yet, but so far this looks like it could be fun. My only complaint is how easy it might be to get "lost" in space. You might zoom in on a planet and spend a bit of time trying to find where you just were. The game map is a fully 3D universe that you can zoom into and out of any point. I'm sure there are keyboard shortcuts that I'm just not using yet, but it should take a while to get used to.

Possibly more updates if I get more time to play with this some more.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 6:03:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Curious to hear what you think.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#21]
any updates on gameplay?
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

any updates on gameplay?

The game is still a bit confusing to me. The only other 4x space game I play is Space Empires V, so it's not a fair comparison really.

From what I can tell so far there is no way to create a custom empire without modding, and I don't know how to change the physical appearance of your ships (might have to mod those as well). This is what bothers me most though, along with the camera controls. The entire game map is a giant 3D universe, which is cool but makes navigating the camera kind of annoying.

A lot of the gameplay can be automated if you want, like construction queues, colonization, and such. I never really played for more than an hour or so, and I haven't fought any wars or battles with the AI so I can't judge on the combat system. The gameplay is all in real time so there is no turn taking or anything. When you want to negotiate treaties you have to set an expiration time (like 200 seconds until peace treaty expires).

The most I've done is just colonize planets and explore the universe. If you are into detailed 4x games though, give it a shot. It's only $25.00 on Direct2drive, just don't double click the purchase button on checkout. The game is a bit confusing at first but the tutorial should only take like 20-30 minutes. The graphics are good, even on a shitty laptop, and the sound track is nice. Once I get the hang of the game it should be pretty fun. Again, I have yet to see how good the AI is though.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 12:14:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
any updates on gameplay?

The game is still a bit confusing to me. The only other 4x space game I play is Space Empires V, so it's not a fair comparison really.

From what I can tell so far there is no way to create a custom empire without modding, and I don't know how to change the physical appearance of your ships (might have to mod those as well). This is what bothers me most though, along with the camera controls. The entire game map is a giant 3D universe, which is cool but makes navigating the camera kind of annoying.

A lot of the gameplay can be automated if you want, like construction queues, colonization, and such. I never really played for more than an hour or so, and I haven't fought any wars or battles with the AI so I can't judge on the combat system. The gameplay is all in real time so there is no turn taking or anything. When you want to negotiate treaties you have to set an expiration time (like 200 seconds until peace treaty expires).

The most I've done is just colonize planets and explore the universe. If you are into detailed 4x games though, give it a shot. It's only $25.00 on Direct2drive, just don't double click the purchase button on checkout. The game is a bit confusing at first but the tutorial should only take like 20-30 minutes. The graphics are good, even on a shitty laptop, and the sound track is nice. Once I get the hang of the game it should be pretty fun. Again, I have yet to see how good the AI is though.

Cant you do that with the design feature?

also

Don't forget to update it, already had two updates since the game was released.

the devs host them on their site here, but you can also get them where you purchased the game (thought the distributors are slower preparing them)
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 6:17:45 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been looking at the Wiki. Ship design seems a little more complex than in Space Empires V. It looks like you need balance you power generation, engery consumption, and fuel supply instead of just throwing on weapons, engines, shields and supply pods. That would force a big change in my ship design...... cool
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Any word on a demo?

I did a quick search, but couldn't find anything.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I did play Masters of Orion 3(still have the CDs around here somewhere) I didn't care too much for it because there was no way to retofit your ships.

It wasn't just the 'no retrofit' issue, it was the fact that you had almost NO control over what your ships did in combat...

Going to real-time (Vs turn based) combat and 'fleet-ring' formations *COULD* have been cool, *IF* they had allowed you to give standing orders to each 'ring' (eg, order certain ships or 'rings' of ships to specific missions (point defense, anti-fighter, anti-ship, etc)).... Or to designate specific weapons for a specific function (eg, attack enemy ships with these, attack missiles with these, etc)...

But instead, they took almost all control away, besides general course and major/primary targets....
(Of course, I was one of those guys who built hordes of little tiny ships to shoot down enemy missiles and fighters in MOO1 & 2, allowing my 'big' ships to close to beam weapons range unmolested....)

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Any updates on this?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Any updates on this?

+1
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any updates on this?

+1

Lol, haven't been playing it at all. Not because I didn't like it or anything, it was cool but just not my style...and that damn camera positioning was annoying me.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top