Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2009 4:06:44 PM EDT
So I've been doing kinetix for about 4 weeks. I started at 245lb and 35% BF on july 1st. The scale that came with the program measures body fat and hydration. This morning step on it and was shocked that I'm down to 226lb and 27.1% BF. From what I understand ideal weight loss should be around 2 to 4lb a week. Should I be concerned with how much I've lost.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you want saggy skin?

Yes you should be concerned with how fast you lose weight unless you want some operations to remove belly/arm/inner leg skinfolds.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#2]
If you lose more than 1 or 2 pounds a week, you are most likely losing a lot of muscle along with the fat.

And even if you lose "just" 1 or 2 pounds a week, and don't do heavy resistance training (i.e., squats and deadlifts), you are probably still losing some muscle.

Muscle is very hard to gain.  Compared to gaining muscle, losing fat is relatively easy.

I would recommend that you simply eat cleaner and start a weightlifting program, such as "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe.  Stronglifts.com is another good resource.

ETA:  I wouldn't put much faith in your body fat meter.  According to it, you lost 25 pounds of fat, while gaining 5 pounds of muscle in a single month.  I find that hard to believe.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
The program has me doing 30 minutes of cardio three days a week with my heart rate between 65% and 75%. I'm also doing 3 days of lifting(about 30 min).

eta: I've been using two different body fat scales their within .5% of each other.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:00:02 AM EDT
[#4]
If its one of those electric current things, muscle contains more water than fat. The current will flow faster through muscle cells than fat cells. The speed at which the current flows from one contact to the other is used to compute your body fat. They are notoriously inaccurate and hydration and water retention have a big impact on the reading.  I wouldnt even worry about the the scale says your body fat level is at.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do you want saggy skin?

Yes you should be concerned with how fast you lose weight unless you want some operations to remove belly/arm/inner leg skinfolds.

If you lose 100+ lbs you're going to have saggy skin no matter if it took you six months or two years to do.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#6]
In my opinion its fine to lose over 8-12lbs your first month. Mainly because allot of is water. If you eat like shit, eat too much, and never work out, and all of sudden eat clean, moderate and exercise. You are going to lose a good amount of weight suddenly. Now after the first month you should only be losing 8-12 lbs.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 2:16:55 PM EDT
[#7]
The higher bf% you have, the more weight you can lose without losing muscle.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

RF
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:17:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I've heard that 3 lbs/week is healthy.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:03:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So I've been doing kinetix for about 4 weeks. I started at 245lb and 35% BF on july 1st. The scale that came with the program measures body fat and hydration. This morning step on it and was shocked that I'm down to 226lb and 27.1% BF. From what I understand ideal weight loss should be around 2 to 4lb a week. Should I be concerned with how much I've lost.

No because you're going to lose water along with fat at first as previously mentioned.  Also bear in mind those 2-4 lb per week averages don't mean you'll consistently lose that amount every week.  One week it may be 8 pounds and the next week it could be 1 pound.  It's one of the wonders of the human body that we haven't figured out yet.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top