Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2009 4:50:32 PM EDT
I've been doing a strength routine (Starting Strength) for about a year and am going to switch to the Texas Method soon.

In doing so, I want to incorporate some high intensity interval training so I don't get winded while climbing stairs, etc...

I've been looking at routines, and one popular one seems to be 20 seconds high intensity, 10 seconds rest, for 8 rounds doing whatever (biking, sprinting, rowing, burpees).  Is this reasonable?

Also, how many days a week should I do HIIT?  Should I do it after my weightlifting, or on a "rest" day?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, that's tabata which is awesome...I think that would be a good one to start with. For your goals, I think you could hand pick certain Crossfit workouts that would suit you well. Performance Menu also has some HITT training type workouts that would workout well for you too I think.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:42:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've been doing a strength routine (Starting Strength) for about a year and am going to switch to the Texas Method soon.

In doing so, I want to incorporate some high intensity interval training so I don't get winded while climbing stairs, etc...

I've been looking at routines, and one popular one seems to be 20 seconds high intensity, 10 seconds rest, for 8 rounds doing whatever (biking, sprinting, rowing, burpees).  Is this reasonable?

Also, how many days a week should I do HIIT?  Should I do it after my weightlifting, or on a "rest" day?

Thanks.

A popular HIIT routine is 100M all out sprints with 30-60 second rest between each. try to do 8-10 of those.  start with the 60 second rest for a couple of weeks and reduce it to 30 seconds.

It is not recommended to do HIIT more that once a week because it can lead to injury.

I would personally recommend doing 400's or 800's to improve speed and endurance rather than the short 100M all out sprint that the HIIT training uses.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The past 5 weeks I have been doing 15 on/45 off sprinting and/or rowing 3 times a week after lifting.  It's made a difference, and I've lost some fat.  I would start out at one time a week, then move up to two times, then three and keep it there if you can handle it with the strength training.  I am just trying to keep my muscle while losing fat right now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The past 5 weeks I have been doing 15 on/45 off sprinting and/or rowing 3 times a week after lifting.  It's made a difference, and I've lost some fat.  I would start out at one time a week, then move up to two times, then three and keep it there if you can handle it with the strength training.  I am just trying to keep my muscle while losing fat right now.

I'm sort of in the same boat right now (trying to maintain muscle while losing fat).  What weight program are you on?  IIRC, didn't you start Westside a few months ago?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Any other ideas or suggestions for HIIT work outs?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:11:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sort of in the same boat right now (trying to maintain muscle while losing fat).  What weight program are you on?  IIRC, didn't you start Westside a few months ago?

I was doing Westside for Skinny Bastards III back in the spring, but picked up "Huge in a Hurry" awhile back, and am doing the "Get Lean" program in there.  Total body workout 3x week, upper body pull, upper body push, and lower body.  Add in HIIT, and I have dropped an 10 lbs or so I think, I forget my beginning weight but I am right at 200 now.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:25:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I've read that you want to put your cardio workouts about 8-12 hours before/after your weight lifting in order to maximize gains.   I've also read that short, intense cardio workouts are better than the long duration ones for keeping more of those gains as well.

I've just started a lifting/conditioning block.  We lifted upper body yesterday, and today is conditioning.

12 Burpees
24 Pushups
36 Bodyweight Squats
400 meter run

do it 4 times as fast as you can (rest as needed)

x.x; gonna be fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top