Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2009 10:26:08 AM EDT
Looking to make a little room in the garage and was thinking about hanging the bike.  You always see pictures of bikes hanging from the ceiling by the front tire.  Hanging a hook from the ceiling would be easy and cheap I'm just worried about it having a wrapping effect on the front wheel from the weight.  Any thoughts on this?  Will it hurt or does it matter?  Thanks to those that respond.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I hang 3 bikes in my garage....I usually hang em by both wheels.....

by the way if you are worried about how it will affect the rims, why not find a way to hang it from the frame ?

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
by the way if you are worried about how it will affect the rims, why not find a way to hang it from the frame ?

I cant say Im worried about it affecting rims yet, Thats what I'm trying to find out.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:35:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I've wondered the same thing, but according to this (he's written a couple of the most popular books on bike maintenance), it's fine: http://velonews.com/article/89649/velonews––resident-techno-guru-takes-your-questions
Dear Lennard,
I am considering storing my new full suspension bike using a vertical type rack that stores a single bike hanging vertically from the wheel.

I was wondering if that could cause any damage to either suspension, front or rear.
Does it make sense to hang the bike from the rear wheel?
Nir

Dear Nir,
Hanging it from the front or rear wheel will not hurt it unless either of your shocks leak oil through the upper seals. In that case, hanging it could still be a good thing, because it will alert you to the problem and motivate you to fix it.
Lennard
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top