Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2008 6:34:33 PM EDT
I am pretty stocky (naturally thick quads and calves)

Is it foolish for me to not lift or work on my legs? I am not looking for any size and I hike lots of mountains and hills 3-4 times a week.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't call it "stupid", it sounds like you DO work your lower body.  "Working out" doesn't have to mean weights.  It all depends on what your goals are, if you wanted to be in bodybuilding competitions, I would say do weights.  If you just want to be in shape and have functional strength, 3-4 times a week of mountains and hills would probably be enough.  Especially if you're hauling a pack.  

ETA:  an example, old school boxers didn't touch weights.  They would do bodyweight excercises like pull ups, push ups, sit ups, running, etc.  George Foreman used to swing a big old ax splitting wood as part of training.  Joe Frazier did farm work and worked in a slaughterhouse.  Both won Olympic gold medals and world heavyweight championships as professionals.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#2]
You should do squats and deadlifts, as these will add to your strength.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 4:56:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You should do squats and deadlifts, as these will add to your total strength.

Fixed
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:27:32 AM EDT
[#4]
My legs naturally look like they are in good shape. Even if I've got a beer gut. Even if I walk a lot, wearing a full kit. However, when I started working my legs in the gym, I noticed that they weren't in such good shape. It's up to you, but they help with my over all fitness, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 7:08:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Its stupid to not train your legs, your leg muscles are probably the biggest muscles in your body. Everytime I bang out hard leg workouts, everything else grows also.

Good legs are needed for good balance.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Relevant Rippetoe quote in his usually funny manner, noted as being "in reference to a bicyclist who seemed to be saying that riding was similar to squats since they both made your legs hurt"

Yes they both hurt, but so do burning your hand and burying your bulldog. The differences are actually quite significant.

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 8:38:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I can't recall the source but I've heard that working your legs, specifically your quads, will release a good deal of testosterone since it's such a large muscle group. I'd throw in some squats or dead-lifts once a week.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I can't recall the source but I've heard that working your legs, specifically your quads, will release a good deal of testosterone since it's such a large muscle group. I'd throw in some squats or dead-lifts once a week.

+1 I have heard that also, it works for me. Even if you dont' work your legs, SQUATS are the granddaddy of mass exercises for legs. You should do 4-6sets of squats 1x a week min.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I would say working legs to some degree is essential. At least do squats and deadlifts. You can also do things like sled dragging. I walk a lot (several miles a day, every day) and I still work my legs.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I would say working legs to some degree is essential. At least do squats and deadlifts. You can also do things like sled dragging. I walk a lot (several miles a day, every day) and I still work my legs.

For sure.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 10:03:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Hindu squats with a combat load of ammo and armor, if you dare.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Heavy, compound leg work causes a natural release of HGH.

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Best total body gains I ever made were when I was doing heavy squats and deadlifts and eating a lot.

Want big arms?  Squat and deadlift.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I gotta agree.  I gained a ton of mid back when I started heavy deadlifting.  That and my grip strenth, which had never been good in the past finally made some serious gains.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:43:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Everyone talks about quads this quads that, when the big target should be the hamstrings.  Having a strong posterior chain helps you in your overall strength and, most importantly helps prevent injuries to your lower back.

Strong hamstrings and lower back = strong and healthy back.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Heavy, compound leg work causes a natural release of HGH.

Yep
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:10:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I was the same way...pretty much hated doing legs at the gym and figured my daily get-up-and-go would be fine....wrong. i have added squats in and have seen nice gains overall. Squats and deadlifts are two excercises that will help you overall...dont pass em up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top