Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2008 12:06:31 AM EDT
I've been commuting 4 days a week on my mountainbike.  My ride generally takes me over bike/running trails, sidewalks, the road, and offroad in that order.  Wherever there's stopsigns or lights I use the sidewalk, trail, or go offroad to avoid having to abide by them.  I've never really noticed if cyclists who ride primarily on the street actually abide by the traffic laws?  I tend to use whatever method I can to avoid stopping or slowing down (unless I see the po-po).
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 12:13:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Many places, riding your bike on the sidewalk is illegal.

To answer your question though, no, I've never seen one obeying any traffic laws at all.  They only stop at signs/lights if there is cross traffic.  They never signal with their hands or otherwise.  They obviously do not maintain minimum speeds or, when not posted, keep up with the flow of traffic.  I'm pretty sure I've never seen them maintaining minimum following distance when in a group, and they do ride 2 and 3 wide at times.

Yeah in summary: no.  I've never seen a bicyclist obeying traffic laws, but as long as they keep to the right and don't do anything stupid, I don't care.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 12:56:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They only stop at signs/lights if there is cross traffic.  

I dont even do that.  when I hit an intersection, Ill make the turn to keep on the sidewalk and follow the road until theres a big enough gap in traffic to either get to the median or make a break all the way across the street.  Anything to avoid actually having to stop.  But then again aside from when Im actually crossing the street, I stay off of it.  stick to sidewalks where Im hopefully less likely to get run over

but yeah its pretty rare (around here at least) to see any kind of bicyclist following any traffic laws..
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:51:41 AM EDT
[#3]
By law, you must follow traffic laws.
Yes, by law it is illegal to ride on the sidewalks in some areas.

By law, you must not only follow traffic laws, but must use hand signals (Does anyone except bicyclists know hand signals?)

By law, you can get charged with a DUI/DWI when riding a bicycle.

Hardwarz
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:59:58 AM EDT
[#4]
being a life long bike rider in one form or another, I will say "cyclist obey the law just as much as a person who drives a car"

chew on that for a while.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 4:26:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

To answer your question though, no, I've never seen one obeying any traffic laws at all.  They only stop at signs/lights if there is cross traffic.  They never signal with their hands or otherwise.  They obviously do not maintain minimum speeds or, when not posted, keep up with the flow of traffic.  I'm pretty sure I've never seen them maintaining minimum following distance when in a group, and they do ride 2 and 3 wide at times.

Yeah in summary: no.  I've never seen a bicyclist obeying traffic laws, but as long as they keep to the right and don't do anything stupid, I don't care.

Are those actual laws in NH or ones you've decided on? In FL cyclists can legally ride 2 abreast (we generally stick to single file if it's one lane with no bike path), there is no minimum following distance for cyclists here that I've ever read and there are no minimum speeds to maintain (there are some roadways though that non-motor vehicles are not allowed that may have minimum speeds).

We generally follow the rules about the same as cars - stop at redlights, slow down approaching stop signs and stop if it's a busy intersection or cali roll if it's dead (most cars here do the same).

Mostly we TRY to avoid cars or impede them since idiot drivers can do more damage to a cyclist than vice versa. The rule in our group is it doesn't matter who's at fault if you get hit by a car - the cyclist/pedestrian always loses.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 4:31:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Heck no, I've yet to see one even follow something simple like a stop sign.

Thats one reason why drivers have little patience with them, they whine about sharing the road, [no problem there] but don't have the common courtesy to follow the most basic laws themselves.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:21:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:26:29 AM EDT
[#8]
In my area, for the most part cyclists do not obey the traffic laws.  They run stop signs, stop lights, cut across lanes, ride the wrong direction, fail to signal, ride 15 mph in a 50 speed zone, which would get a driver a ticket for obstructing traffic, and more.

A few do obey the laws, but most do not.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:28:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
being a life long bike rider in one form or another, I will say "cyclist obey the law just as much as a person who drives a car"

I second that.  I ride as I drive.  Not saying its right, it just is what it is.  That being said I do have one rule I always follow, car or bike, if it is bigger than me it has the right of way.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:38:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My city is hailed as one of the "bike-friendliest" (read: road cyclist) in the country.  Nearly every major street has a 3ft-wide bike lane on each side of the road. Nearly every Lance Armstong-O out here insists on riding on the fucking line.

Well if the bike lanes there are like they are here you have to ride on the line because motorists use the rest of it as a trash dump for their fast food bags, beer bottles, etc.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:03:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've been commuting 4 days a week on my mountainbike.  My ride generally takes me over bike/running trails, sidewalks, the road, and offroad in that order.  Wherever there's stopsigns or lights I use the sidewalk, trail, or go offroad to avoid having to abide by them.  I've never really noticed if cyclists who ride primarily on the street actually abide by the traffic laws?  I tend to use whatever method I can to avoid stopping or slowing down (unless I see the po-po).

When I ride (which isn't often) I bend traffic laws a lot. And I do it for a reason.

The main thing for me is red lights. If I'm stopped at a red light, I'll move on out as soon as the traffic clears. I do that to put distance between me and the rest of the traffic I'm riding with. I get a chance to get up to speed and they can see me up ahead. I think it's safer. The less I can ride directly along side cars, the better.

Yeah, I know this is a violation of the whole "effective cycling" mantra but I'm convinced that it's the way to go.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I ride (which isn't often) I bend traffic laws a lot. And I do it for a reason.

The main thing for me is red lights. If I'm stopped at a red light, I'll move on out as soon as the traffic clears. I do that to put distance between me and the rest of the traffic I'm riding with. I get a chance to get up to speed and they can see me up ahead. I think it's safer. The less I can ride directly along side cars, the better.

Yeah, I know this is a violation of the whole "effective cycling" mantra but I'm convinced that it's the way to go.

Of course you "could" just wait a few seconds and allow the vehicles to go first.............especially since they are faster but that would involve both common sense AND the ability to follow the law.

About a month ago I almost hit a birdbrain that tried that, however I was turning right on a red and he came up behind me and tried to cross on the red without stopping. Now I ride the curb so the bastards can't pass on the right.......
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Your question could be better worded as:

Does everybody on the road follow traffic laws?
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#14]

I would say only 1% of bicyclists obey the traffic laws.  

I've seen them do everything you can think.  

Link Posted: 6/7/2008 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If/when you get smashed by a vehicle you didn't see...you'll deserve it.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are those actual laws in NH or ones you've decided on? In FL cyclists can legally ride 2 abreast (we generally stick to single file if it's one lane with no bike path), there is no minimum following distance for cyclists here that I've ever read and there are no minimum speeds to maintain (there are some roadways though that non-motor vehicles are not allowed that may have minimum speeds).

Bicycles here using public roads are subject to all the "rules and regulations" of other vehicles using the road.  That means no 2 abreast, minimum speed where posted or keeping up with the flow of traffic if not posted, etc.

There aren't any really specific rules for bicycles beyond the "wear a helmet if under 18" type stuff, so the rest falls to the normal MV laws.

We generally follow the rules about the same as cars - stop at redlights, slow down approaching stop signs and stop if it's a busy intersection or cali roll if it's dead (most cars here do the same).

Mostly we TRY to avoid cars or impede them since idiot drivers can do more damage to a cyclist than vice versa. The rule in our group is it doesn't matter who's at fault if you get hit by a car - the cyclist/pedestrian always loses.

Generally true and sounds safe enough.  Like I said, I don't really care if they are flaunting the law so long as they aren't doing stupid things that impede the flow of traffic or threaten my own safety.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Like I said, I don't really care if they are flaunting the law so long as they aren't doing stupid things that impede the flow of traffic or threaten my own safety.

I think we are in complete agreement  
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

If/when you get smashed by a vehicle you didn't see...you'll deserve it.  

I can accept that.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I've never really accepted the fact that bicycles should abide by all traffic laws.  Common sense and reason are key, however.  We are effectively tiny, lightweight, slow vehicles that no-one really gives a shit about.  I toe the line between pedestrian and vehicle as that's how I feel it should be anyway.

Quoted:

The rule in our group is it doesn't matter who's at fault if you get hit by a car - the cyclist/pedestrian always loses.

That's a fact.

Quoted:

Thats one reason why drivers have little patience with them, they whine about sharing the road, [no problem there] but don't have the common courtesy to follow the most basic laws themselves.

Personally the only thing that I find irritating is when an MF'er looks me straight in the eye as I approach then proceeds to block the way or cut me off as I approach.

Quoted:

Your question could be better worded as:

Does everybody on the road follow traffic laws?

The only other vehicle I use is a motorcycle.  I bend different traffic laws with that...like moderate speeding, wheelies, and the occasional stoppie.  Aside from that I don't fuck around.  Not obeying traffic laws on a streetbike is generally not conducive to a long healthly life.

I do avoid busy intersections if I can on the bicycle .  Even when I follow the traffic lights I've had way too many close calls due to impatient or inattentive drivers.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#20]
From what I've observed, nearly never.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#22]
No, and you should need a liscense to ride a bike on anyroad with a speed limit at or above 45 mph or with a certian volume of trafic.

Folks are out there on bikes that don't know the rules of the road or just shit on them, they want to be treated like cars they need to follow the law.

I am not a die hard cyclist, but I did a major ride back in HS. We went along the C and O canal and into gettysburg, PA and along the C and O to Washington D.C.

When ever we were on the road we followed the law.

Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:40:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Is it time for the monthly cyclist bashing thread already?

My, how time flies.

Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Some do some do not but cars are the worst by far, way too many people driving with no skill what so ever. Arrogent, wreckless, drunk, distracted, asleep at the wheel, aggressive, on the phone, reading? or just plain stupid.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
My city is hailed as one of the "bike-friendliest" (read: road cyclist) in the country.  Nearly every major street has a 3ft-wide bike lane on each side of the road. Nearly every Lance Armstong-O out here insists on riding on the fucking line.

Probably because the seldom driven bike lane is full of gravel.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#26]
You give cyclists a bad name.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
You give cyclists a bad name.

By Bon Jovi???????????
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I follow traffic laws on my bicycle about 90% of the time, even when there's no traffic and nobody's looking.  That includes hand signals when turning.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:30:00 AM EDT
[#29]
back when I used a bicycle as my primary summer transportation, I was always careful about obeying the traffic laws...this was 20 + years ago. My opinion is that bicyclists nowadays demand to be treated as equal to cars, but usually avoid obeying trafic laws,  including stopping at stop signs, wrong way on one way streets, lane splitting, not staying right, etc....
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:34:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I follow traffic laws on my bicycle about 90% of the time, even when there's no traffic and nobody's looking.  That includes hand signals when turning.

+1

And riding on the sidewalk is illegal here, but most people still do it, and most drivers get mad when you don't. Even tho by State law they are required to treat you like a car, but they can't get off their cellphone long enough to realize it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
In my area, for the most part cyclists do not obey the traffic laws.  They run stop signs, stop lights, cut across lanes, ride the wrong direction, fail to signal, ride 15 mph in a 50 speed zone, which would get a driver a ticket for obstructing traffic, and more.

A few do obey the laws, but most do not.

You mean like any other slow moving vehicle - construction equipment/farm equipment/etc - that doesn't move over?  BTW, what's the minimum speed on a roadway that isn't posted with a Minimum Speed sign?  The posted Speed Limit is the maximum for clear, dry, daylight conditions....

Brian
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm halfway thru my 36th season of racing and training on public roads. I must be doing something right to have survived since 1972 on a road racing bicycle.

I've been hit a few times by motor vehicles and EVERY TIME it was the clear fault of the driver of the car or truck.

Examples:

1. Young Woman made a left in front of me (I had the protected green light, backed by multiple witnesses).

2. Young man hit me from behind after laying down ONE-HUNDRED AND FIFTY-SEVEN FEET of skid marks...despite no oncoming raffic, 1/2-mile of clear vision ahead, no double-yellow line! The idiot admitted to the OSHP he was traveling in excess of 65 MPH on a 40 MPH street.

3. Old man backed a conversion van out of his driveway into the street without looking.

My attorney loves fucking moron drivers. And God knows there's no shortage of fucking morons behind the steering wheels.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#33]
If I'm riding on my bike to work in the morning (4AM or 5AM), I usually don't stop at 4 way stops, or stop lights if there is no traffic.

Our roads are terrible, and the gravel on the side of the road sucks on a road bike.  So I'll try to ride on the side if there is traffic.  In the morning, I just ride in the right lane, maybe 1 car will pass me in the left lane (2 lanes each direction) every mile.

On the way back from work, I do my best to stay out of the way, when someone passes me in their SUV, they tend to floor it, and then when I catch up to them at the next set of lights,    I just have a laugh.

Edited to add:

*SUV with one person in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top